Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good
    conscience to remain "Silent". Thomas Jefferson

NO EXCUSES!!!
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to a tyrannical government. Not a locating company.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to a tyrannical government. Not a locating company.
    well of course he is CV, but it can also be applied to an organization as well on a lessor scale, anywhere a minority has an unfair hold over the majority,monetarily or otherwise, it's just that with a "company", they are doing it legally

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Lifer-

No need to get into a pissing match.

I think we are on the same page, we are just interpreting it differently. (Glass half full/ glass half empty).

I too think the industry is retarded when it comes to the way the majority of locators are treated. ( I have been crapped on for 8 of the 9 years)

I just take offense when one preaches about "standing up" and sitting on our a$$ watching our careers spin down the toilet. I came into the industry making 8 dollars an hour. I am currently up over $20, I'll be damned if that is watching my career go into the pooper.

I belong to the Regional board of the Utility coordinating council and attend (depending on construction) monthly. Besides beating my head against a wall some times, I try to help the Utility owners understand a bit, but being the only Locator at the meetings it tends to be an up hill battle.

Blaming the contract locating companies....Why? If you don't like the way the pay or the way they treat you.... leave.

I did, swagman did, I'm pretty sure Steve did as well.

You can try your luck at another contract locating company, but they are usually ran similar. You can try your luck at Private locating, but that has its own issues. Better money, longer hours.

As for my Gold lined trenches that were fed to me on a silver spoon....

Thank you Bob and Mike.

Good idea, contacting legislarors, but legislators listen when they see that there are enough numbers to get them elected or un-elected. How do you think we have laws like child labor laws, OSHA, 8 Hour day-workers united (as in unions) to get the legislators to pay attention to a group that had their futures in their hands. Remember the weekend? That was fought for and won by unions. Now that Unions are not as strong as they were in their heyday we are slowly losing everything that was gained. So do you have a better way of MOVING LEGISLATORS TO ACT IN YOUR FAVOR?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    well of course he is CV, but it can also be applied to an organization as well on a lessor scale, anywhere a minority has an unfair hold over the majority,monetarily or otherwise, it's just that with a "company", they are doing it legally
    Not really... You have the option of quitting and going to work for someone else. It's called firing your boss. People do it everyday. I've done it myself.

As far as the minority having an unfair hold over the majority; isn't that true with any job no matter how good of a job it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Lifer-

No need to get into a pissing match.

I think we are on the same page, we are just interpreting it differently. (Glass half full/ glass half empty).

I too think the industry is retarded when it comes to the way the majority of locators are treated. ( I have been crapped on for 8 of the 9 years)

I just take offense when one preaches about "standing up" and sitting on our a$$ watching our careers spin down the toilet. I came into the industry making 8 dollars an hour. I am currently up over $20, I'll be damned if that is watching my career go into the pooper.

I belong to the Regional board of the Utility coordinating council and attend (depending on construction) monthly. Besides beating my head against a wall some times, I try to help the Utility owners understand a bit, but being the only Locator at the meetings it tends to be an up hill battle.

Blaming the contract locating companies....Why? If you don't like the way the pay or the way they treat you.... leave.

I did, swagman did, I'm pretty sure Steve did as well.

You can try your luck at another contract locating company, but they are usually ran similar. You can try your luck at Private locating, but that has its own issues. Better money, longer hours.

As for my Gold lined trenches that were fed to me on a silver spoon....

Thank you Bob and Mike.
    seriously,no pissing match here mke, I apologize if thats the way it came across.

started @ $8 and now make $20?

it would appear your company has treated you like a prince, at least when it comes to pay, I make NOWHERE near what you do, and I have 7 years on you, I won't say a better damage ratio because I have no clue what your's is, but congratulations none the less,clearly we do not work at the same company.

as for exaggerating my words, I don't recall gold lined or silver spoon being in my previous post.

and as for me looking for another company, I am.......but not everybody has the luxury of being able to "company hop" .

but back on topic, I agree, I think we are on the same page.

P.S.
    I'm very glad to hear that you're on that board, at least you are able to be there and are trying to open their eyes to the problems going on.

Blog Entries

sounds like things are going good in here keep the ideas rolling im all ears

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Not really... You have the option of quitting and going to work for someone else. It's called firing your boss. People do it everyday. I've done it myself.

As far as the minority having an unfair hold over the majority; isn't that true with any job no matter how good of a job it is?
    I'll say it again, not everyone has the luxury or ability to quit and find another job, for reasons like,,,,,,,oh I don't know, say a single mom with a deadbeat ex, trying to keep her children fed, clothed and a roof over their head, or maybe that same single mom, with the same deadbeat ex. with a very, VERY sick child who cannot be w/o health insurance due to pre-existing clauses .....and cobra? well the damn monthly premiums are far more than this woman makes in a month.

and god forBID this woman might have some of her OWN health problems, that no other company would even consider hiring her with, or even age can be a barrier to new employment

these are just examples, no resemblance to any person living or dead is intended.

Years of Experience

i love this job......i say keep things the way they are!!!!! no unions!!!! unless they going to come in and put me at 30 dollars an hour........that's what i thought!!!! ain't going to happen!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

What was the TOPIC of this thread again??? Unions????? Health Care???? Wages???? Companies that suck????

Not to sound like a kill joy or anything but if the measure of 'your' resolve in this thread is any example of how 'you' plan to conduct this great big get together to 'change' this industry I think I will stick with what I'm doing, sit back, watch and laugh.

I will ask again, What exactly is a union going to do? Take your money for dues... organize a strike? What do you think will happen when the company you work for that signed a contract to mark utilities will do with a workforce that won't mark utilities? They will either take a huge hit for the no shows, or replace you with a workforce that will mark utilities. At will employment. Look it up. That is what most locate companies are.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Thumbs up Re: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

You have different locating conditions everywhere. You can not control the work flow. No Union is going to put there neck on the line ,but who knows anything is possible. It did not work in Wisconsin I dout it is going to work anywhere else either. You have to be a A member to really get anywhere or get real backing from a Union. A lot of us lost our jobs that we or at least I was told that would be there forever with a guaranteed 40 a week. I think with a locating job you have other people lives in your hand you have to keep this in mind. Also, being a locator you can really do a lot of damage to the utility infrastructure of these large utility corporations. Let's say a terrorist got there hands on one of your computers and knew where to go and cut or blow up something. These locating company's never think about that do they? All locators should be experienced good locators should be making at least $25 or more a hour I think for everything they go through. But, if you don't like what your doing I suggest moving on to a different career. DO NOT MISMARK SOMETHING JUST TO GET FIRED I HAVE A FAMILY AND KIDS TOO. PLEASE. Just move on. I did and make 25+/hr just find something you like and go after it life is too short to do something you dislike take it from someone who has been a locator. KEEP UP THE GOOD LOCATING I RESPECT ALL OF YOU. PEACE

Years of Experience

I'm not sure a union will help me...I have a job where I'm preety much garanteed a certain amount of hours, I don't have anywon telling what to do and I know when I'm done today, I have work tomorrow. I see lots of people come and go, but I don't necessarily care because this job ain't for all of us. I don't like cold, but I've leanred to deal with it...not necessarily shure I like the paint but its not my issue... I werked in construction for a long time, but this job has so many more bennyfits. I get to work everyday if I want, and my supervisor seems to like the fact that I'm dependable...

Quote Originally Posted by locator1 View Post
    I would like to start a group of locators that are willing to join together all across the usa.We need as many locators in each individual state as possible ,so that we may all organize and join one common union and stand up against all the bad locating companies out their that just want to use us as a means to and end.such as Consolidated utilities,all they are doing in some states is putting people on piece rate,and when that happens like here in florida the locator just clears the tickets out to make enough money on his check.Then contarctors will hit fibers and who knows what else due to not locating.I believe if we all band together and join either Ibew or some other strong union this may be our only chance to turn things around.Companies just keep on thinking of ways to shorten our pay and benefits and pay while they make huge profits,so lets all unite in some way shape or form and have the vigo like the patriots did when they found this country and kick the companies a**!!!!Lets hear everyones idea out there,i know Ibew will help us if we try
    I feel your pain fellow locator. I know exactly what you feel like inside. I must inform you that you are rallying the wrong forum. Most of theys old farts been here for 5 years. Most of them are just lazy satisfied locators that do not want change. They like it the way it is. 40 hours and $15 bucks an hour for ever untill the rug gets pulled from under them. You also have some business people inhere and locating companies crying about how little they make(Bull). These old timers don't like younger energrtic locators faning the flames of exploitation. But I feel your pain my open minded friend. I bet you are intelligent and see past the smoke and mirrors. Like the site administrator says" start your own V-bulliten I will be there in a heart beat to give you pointers.

Years of Experience

I smell John....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast