Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Default Re: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Comparing this industry to the Trucking Industry of the late 40's and early 50's???? Really?????

By the way PRO ME, IS NOT ANTI UNION, I'M THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY SUCCESS or FAILURE! Hell I make more money now and have better benefits and schedule then when I did under the IBEW (TWICE!!!!). Unions work for some and NOT others. If you haven't noticed in the last couple of years Unions aren't the end all be all answer (i.e. DETROIT). They're doing a BANG UP JOB THERE! $45,000 to $50,000 for a peice of shit made in Mexico and put together (like a model kit) in America (final assembly point). FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!

And STOP using Patriots like Frankilin, Hancock and the like in this discussion. They DON'T APPLY. We are all given the same basic FREEDOMS to start with and WORK our way up. Not satisfied with YOUR station in life?? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, FOR YOU!!!
    Rugged Individualism is what makes this country great, this group mentality is for herds of animals, followers and those who believe our wonderful two party political government is actually there for US.

Until something changes and people wake up from la la land where EVERYONE is special and EVERYONE gets to play in the game and win a trophy even if they SUCK (yes it's a metaphore) NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

No ONE is saying 'Don't try' by all means try and try. But be smart and eloquent about it, don't just bitch, whine and complain that things aren't 'fair'. NOBODY like a whine ass and NOBODY will take you seriously.

If you want to compare this industry to the Trucking Industry or the Meat Packing Industry SHOW EXACTLY how 'dangerous' it is to Locators. How many fatalities have there been for Locators working in the field due to 'dangerous' conditions. SHOW EXACTLY how many fatalities there have been due to a miss marked utility (per unit marked out). My point is GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER before comparisons are made (that in all reality is more like apples and oranges)

Company Name: CLS, Ltd.
    Job Title: Management Trainee

Job Description:

Desired Skills/Duties:
    Central Locating Services is a subsidiary of USIC. About United States Infrastructure Corporation:USIC is the world's largest underground utility locating firm with more than 4,000 professionals in 21 states. USIC takes the business of protecting our customers' infrastructure very seriously and is continuously exploring ways to improve results for our customers, stakeholders, and shareholders. USIC has a full array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k). We do not offer relocation. About the Management Trainee Program at USIC: The candidate(s) selected for this position will go through a minimum of 6 months of training, including classroom and field settings, as well as, working with other members of management, so they have a good understanding of both the technical and management sides of this position. After successful completion of the training, the incumbent will be responsible for leading a team of 6-12 field technicians. Duties will include managing the team(s), performance reviews, troubleshooting, motivating the groups, providing on-going feedback, safety and productivity goals and customer service. Who We Want: We want people who are looking for a company where they can start a career. We are looking for people with a strong desire to lead, who thrive on a fast paced environment and need to be challenged. We need top performers because we are revolutionizing the industry, and beyond. Qualifications Required: Some college, Bachelors Degree preferred 2+ years supervisory experience in a position where your employees worked at multiple sites or away from an office Proficient in Word and Excel Proactive with ability to conceive and implement creative solutions to complex problems Ability to work on numerous projects at the same time in a high pressure environment Strong organizational and analytical skills Must have a clear driving record

# Date Posted: 08/04/2009
    # Job Number: 413282
    # Job Title:
    Management Trainee
    # Work Site: CINCINNATI, OH
    # Salary: $21.63 per hour
    # Duration: FULL-TIME
    #

6 months classroom and some field time with other management so they have a good understanding of the technical side, and THEN they can come out and troubleshoot for my dumb ass with only ohhh............. SIXTEEN YEARS EXP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they don't want experience and knowledge, they want a yes man and A$$ kisser with 2 years of college to come out and tell the ones with the REAL exp. and knowledge how the hell to do this job!!!!!!

this is getting bad and it may be time to jump[/QUOTE]

Wow! Has this been put out to the current employees for an opportunity to apply? I have not heard anything about it! This is now flying around my area and people are pissed...I hope these new corporate monkeys know how to locate. I guess I should not be suprised, just be more diligent in looking for a company that will appreciate my services and support the team.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yeah.... what AUL said.

As for you guys taking offense to my comment about the seniority issue...

We have all put in our time in the trenches... I believe that people should be rewarded on Merit, not on time within the industry. I know of a few locators still in the industry with 5-6yrs under their belt and they are not worth a crap. That means they will get priority over everyone with less years in the game.... Sounds fair to me.

I work with a guy who has 4 years on me. I'm going on my 9th year he is going on his 13th. I am forever going behind him and making sure there is no issues. Yesterday he marked the wrong area because he had issues reading the prints. Sure glad you guys are behind a system that will reward these people for doing the bare minimum.

And for the final statement.... For as much blame as you guys put on the companies you work for, try puting some of the blame actually on the Utilities themselves. Most of the contract companies are in the situation they are in because of the Utlities. When Utilities hold contracts over a companies head and makes them jump through hoops, just what do you think the contract companies will have to do? Lower Prices. How? Well we can start Puting ads on our companies rigs and get some revenue that way, or we can limit wages in our workers. Make it difficult to meet production goals that way most if not all people will be in a position to be let go for no apparent reason. And once the seasoned locators get up there in wage earnings, we will let them go, then hire a warm body off the street for half the price. Yeah, they may get damaged, but we will be saving a butt load of money, so we can pay the dedectible and still come out winners in the end.

Unions will only change the way our company will treat us, if the Utilities are in control of the contracts, and our company tries to get more money for the contract, the Utility will Void the contract, and it will go out to bid, and the next Non-Union company will get it because of lower operating costs.

So keep trying to unionize guys....Sounds like a great idea.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Like disgruntled little Lemmings.....to the sea with all of you!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I think the locating business should have standards put forth by the state you work in. The Law makers need to take a look at what we do out in the field to keep the public safe. We all know what we do. How many of us see that other utilities techs for phone ,gas, elec, water, they all make so much more then us. And when we talk to them they all say I would not want your job because of all the B.S. But when it comes down to it we are the ones that protect the public. And we get paid S%^$ for it. If everybody has noticed, who sits on the board of your state hotline? The owners of the utility companies Why so they can make the rules. If the public really knew how important are jobs are I think their could be change.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Unions aren't going to help anything. Like someone said earlier... when the unions come in and set up shop, the locating companies close their shop and head somewhere else. As they should.

I am a full supporter of what RD Wrangler said. If you want to have change in the industry, then talk to your lawmakers. They are the first step.

Unions are only looking out for the betterment of the unions. The sooner you realize that the smarter you will be.

As for the complaints about piece work. I am on piece work and wouldn't have it any other way. I make more money now than I did on hourly with overtime and the promise of bonuses.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Oh... before I forget. I see that LocatingArt has shown up again. I sent him an e-mail a while back along with everyone else who hadn't been to the site in like 90 days. Our exchange led to these little gems from him.

Just take me of your list asshole!!!
    This is what I mean. You dont respect people or there wishes. I will never grace your website ever again. I used to tell other Locators about your website. Never again.
    My reply to the latter was: I'll leave you on, people like you always come back.

I love it when I'm right.

(I apologize for hijacking the thread... again. I did it the other day as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Yeah.... what AUL said.

As for you guys taking offense to my comment about the seniority issue...

We have all put in our time in the trenches... I believe that people should be rewarded on Merit, not on time within the industry. I know of a few locators still in the industry with 5-6yrs under their belt and they are not worth a crap. That means they will get priority over everyone with less years in the game.... Sounds fair to me.

I work with a guy who has 4 years on me. I'm going on my 9th year he is going on his 13th. I am forever going behind him and making sure there is no issues. Yesterday he marked the wrong area because he had issues reading the prints. Sure glad you guys are behind a system that will reward these people for doing the bare minimum.

And for the final statement.... For as much blame as you guys put on the companies you work for, try puting some of the blame actually on the Utilities themselves. Most of the contract companies are in the situation they are in because of the Utlities. When Utilities hold contracts over a companies head and makes them jump through hoops, just what do you think the contract companies will have to do? Lower Prices. How? Well we can start Puting ads on our companies rigs and get some revenue that way, or we can limit wages in our workers. Make it difficult to meet production goals that way most if not all people will be in a position to be let go for no apparent reason. And once the seasoned locators get up there in wage earnings, we will let them go, then hire a warm body off the street for half the price. Yeah, they may get damaged, but we will be saving a butt load of money, so we can pay the dedectible and still come out winners in the end.

Unions will only change the way our company will treat us, if the Utilities are in control of the contracts, and our company tries to get more money for the contract, the Utility will Void the contract, and it will go out to bid, and the next Non-Union company will get it because of lower operating costs.

So keep trying to unionize guys....Sounds like a great idea.

Wow, where do I start?

ok,lets get something clear at the get-go, I on no way, shape, or form say we SHOULD be organized, what I AM saying is that we can no longer afford to sit back and watch our careers being flushed down the proverbial shitter.

yes, the utilities is where the true blame lies, they are having their cake and eating it too,but you also have to put some blame on the contract companies.
    They know damn good and well going in they couldn't compete at these ticket prices and provide a livable wage for their employee's, either way, this is just what business' do

But I don't trust the unions either.

to be honest, I'm not sure WHERE to start, but I know we have to start somewhere, and I also know that if we don't ALL have the same "we're in this together" mentality, then it won't work.

if we start at state government FINE, at Federal government FINE...just start somewhere.

I'm seriously curious to hear what ovus and ifindit think about all this, apparently they ate enough crap as locators to make them want to go out and start on their own,I think hearing THEIR opinions would be a good thing, points of view from both sides of the aisle.....(and that doesn't mean I think you 2 don't have the ability to locate anymore).

and mke,
    I am 16 yrs. this month, over 1/10,000 damage ratio, NEVER a HP...I don't get checked ON, I'm the one doing the checking on.

and I'm 100% certain, the trenches you crawled in were a heck of a lot nicer by the time you got to them, due to a few select others, at least at the company I'm with....

Blog Entries

piece rate can be good depending on several factors,1.how long are your tickets 2.how many utilities will you get to charge on a ticket.3.How far you have to drive in between locates I am sure there is more i could list.i will give you a bad example of piece rate,in florida consolidated pays all locators piece rate,guess what one ticket can be 1 mile long or more.I personally had a ticket that was 6 miles long for floirda department of transportation.I really think it all depends on how lucky you get as far as your area and state you work in.I can say without a doubt piece rate in the state of florida is a joke and consolidated has a huge turnover rate because of it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boozerr View Post
    Company Name: CLS, Ltd.
    Job Title: Management Trainee

Job Description:

Desired Skills/Duties:
    Central Locating Services is a subsidiary of USIC. About United States Infrastructure Corporation:USIC is the world's largest underground utility locating firm with more than 4,000 professionals in 21 states. USIC takes the business of protecting our customers' infrastructure very seriously and is continuously exploring ways to improve results for our customers, stakeholders, and shareholders. USIC has a full array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k). We do not offer relocation. About the Management Trainee Program at USIC: The candidate(s) selected for this position will go through a minimum of 6 months of training, including classroom and field settings, as well as, working with other members of management, so they have a good understanding of both the technical and management sides of this position. After successful completion of the training, the incumbent will be responsible for leading a team of 6-12 field technicians. Duties will include managing the team(s), performance reviews, troubleshooting, motivating the groups, providing on-going feedback, safety and productivity goals and customer service. Who We Want: We want people who are looking for a company where they can start a career. We are looking for people with a strong desire to lead, who thrive on a fast paced environment and need to be challenged. We need top performers because we are revolutionizing the industry, and beyond. Qualifications Required: Some college, Bachelors Degree preferred 2+ years supervisory experience in a position where your employees worked at multiple sites or away from an office Proficient in Word and Excel Proactive with ability to conceive and implement creative solutions to complex problems Ability to work on numerous projects at the same time in a high pressure environment Strong organizational and analytical skills Must have a clear driving record

# Date Posted: 08/04/2009
    # Job Number: 413282
    # Job Title:
    Management Trainee
    # Work Site: CINCINNATI, OH
    # Salary: $21.63 per hour
    # Duration: FULL-TIME
    #

6 months classroom and some field time with other management so they have a good understanding of the technical side, and THEN they can come out and troubleshoot for my dumb ass with only ohhh............. SIXTEEN YEARS EXP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they don't want experience and knowledge, they want a yes man and A$$ kisser with 2 years of college to come out and tell the ones with the REAL exp. and knowledge how the hell to do this job!!!!!!

this is getting bad and it may be time to jump
    Wow! Has this been put out to the current employees for an opportunity to apply? I have not heard anything about it! This is now flying around my area and people are pissed...I hope these new corporate monkeys know how to locate. I guess I should not be suprised, just be more diligent in looking for a company that will appreciate my services and support the team.
    [/QUOTE]

I was just talking about that today with other locators Bzzer, and the answer would be a resounding NO,of the ones in the field I've talked to, none of them had heard anything about these openings.
    after only 6 months of technical and management training, (more to the management side I'm sure),there's no way they would be able to come out and trouble shoot for me.

the whole thing makes me sick!

Blog Entries

I like your post,you may be right maybe using the union might not be the way to go.But what else can broke locating folks like us afford to do,i dont have a huge bank account and a political team to back me.I think you would need that ,we would have to make this a issue and it would fall along the lines of a political game just like everything else in this country.Like the ole saying goes "money talks and bulls*** walks.broke as i am i will be doing a lot of walking.this message is for lifer

Getting the UTILITY COMPANIES off of the 'State' run boards. Their MONEY is what drives the legislation and Codes and Rules we follow in EVERY State. I should say MAKING them LESS of a powerful force on those boards would be the place to start.

I have descibed my area before in a seperate post. NYC/LI One Call. Top Board Members (the ones who MAKE the decisions) Con Ed and National Grid!!!!! WTF!!!! Really????? Those TWO companies pretty much OWN 80% of New York State.

Years of Experience

im in just dont want a union that starts people at like $12 an hour and bullshit raises
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

All I have to say is I have worked both sides and would not like to work non union again

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

As for piece rate: if you are getting one price per ticket then you are getting screwed. I get paid per locate. If I hook up to 3 points, that counts as 2 locates. If I locate over 500 feet, that counts as 2 locates. 1 mile at a minimum would give me 10 locates.

I can almost guarantee you your company is paid the same way. They should pay you the same way as well.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast