Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Default Re: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    Look into IBEW Local 21 out of Chicago IL you need to call

Dave Webster
    IBEW Local 21
    Business Rep/Organizer
    630 222-9121

We do need to ban together!!
    whatever we do, we'd better do it and not dawdle, they are hiring all over the place, I think last count I saw 44 locators needed in several places, and I just now found this at indeed.com

Company Name: CLS, Ltd.
    Job Title: Management Trainee

Job Description:

Desired Skills/Duties:
    Central Locating Services is a subsidiary of USIC. About United States Infrastructure Corporation:USIC is the world's largest underground utility locating firm with more than 4,000 professionals in 21 states. USIC takes the business of protecting our customers' infrastructure very seriously and is continuously exploring ways to improve results for our customers, stakeholders, and shareholders. USIC has a full array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k). We do not offer relocation. About the Management Trainee Program at USIC: The candidate(s) selected for this position will go through a minimum of 6 months of training, including classroom and field settings, as well as, working with other members of management, so they have a good understanding of both the technical and management sides of this position. After successful completion of the training, the incumbent will be responsible for leading a team of 6-12 field technicians. Duties will include managing the team(s), performance reviews, troubleshooting, motivating the groups, providing on-going feedback, safety and productivity goals and customer service. Who We Want: We want people who are looking for a company where they can start a career. We are looking for people with a strong desire to lead, who thrive on a fast paced environment and need to be challenged. We need top performers because we are revolutionizing the industry, and beyond. Qualifications Required: Some college, Bachelors Degree preferred 2+ years supervisory experience in a position where your employees worked at multiple sites or away from an office Proficient in Word and Excel Proactive with ability to conceive and implement creative solutions to complex problems Ability to work on numerous projects at the same time in a high pressure environment Strong organizational and analytical skills Must have a clear driving record

# Date Posted: 08/04/2009
    # Job Number: 413282
    # Job Title:
    Management Trainee
    # Work Site: CINCINNATI, OH
    # Salary: $21.63 per hour
    # Duration: FULL-TIME
    #

6 months classroom and some field time with other management so they have a good understanding of the technical side, and THEN they can come out and troubleshoot for my dumb ass with only ohhh............. SIXTEEN YEARS EXP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they don't want experience and knowledge, they want a yes man and A$$ kisser with 2 years of college to come out and tell the ones with the REAL exp. and knowledge how the hell to do this job!!!!!!

this is getting bad and it may be time to jump

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    So, you think if the Union is behind us locators we will be able to get money for nothing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting the locating industry back to a respectible industry. I just think that if you go down a pros and cons list.... its iffy at best.

For example, your Guaranteed 40 during the winter. Lets say that Company "A" can run a skeleton crew of 6 locators and successfully cover all responsibilities. However, when High Volumne time comes they hire an extrya 4 locators. Do all 10 get garanteed 40?

You have a 15yr vet who does more coffee drinking and kicking the dirt then spraying paint. He consistantly does not meet the 3 tickets an hour quota, is it fair that because of his seniority he will retain the position over Rookie Rob who is swaggin about 8-10 tickets an hour? or Construction Carl who is on a cable rebuild and meeting the 3 ticket an hour quota but his day is filled with Paint spraying more then anyone else?

I believe that if you are a capable locator, it will be noticed. I earn the benefits my company gives me.

As for not taking Risk... My Ass, Once you have gone through the process of unionizing, and realized that the locating industry is not in a position to unionize due to the in-fighting within the same companies as well as other companies. Not to be out done is the fact that their is no standardized training for Locators, and because the companies will not agree on what should be part of the training, there won't be. We are a good 5-10 years out from being at a point where unions would be comfortable enough to come in and represent Locators.

Just a late afternoon rambling....

mke
    mke?
    so what you're saying is that because I went through the ROUGH years and helped bring this company to what it is, through the 70 hour work weeks, the complete piece of shit vehicles with no heat in the winter and the foot vent stuck open, through the winter on-calls where I didn't sleep for 3 days, and never having had a HP through ANY of it...........that I should be thrown out on my ass because I can't physically pull 3 tickets an hour anymore, that my years of experience and knowledge mean NOTHING?!?!?!?!
    superman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    mke?
    so what you're saying is that because I went through the ROUGH years and helped bring this company to what it is, through the 70 hour work weeks, the complete piece of shit vehicles with no heat in the winter and the foot vent stuck open, through the winter on-calls where I didn't sleep for 3 days, and never having had a HP through ANY of it...........that I should be thrown out on my ass because I can't physically pull 3 tickets an hour anymore, that my years of experience and knowledge mean NOTHING?!?!?!?!
    and I assure you, I don't drink coffee after I leave my house,nor do I stand around and kick dirt, I work just as hard as YOU do, I simply can't work as fast anymore as you younger guys

Blog Entries

the union locating company i worked for in indiana we all worked 40 hours a week,when weather was to bad to work,lets say we worked 4 hours that day then went home we got 4 hours paid by the company so we got 8 hours.It all comes down to the contract.as far as the 40 hours a week goes in the winter,we had guys that would volunteer to take lay off for some vacation time.I do understand that some things are not fair when you have one guy working his hump off on one hand ,then on the other you have a bunch of lazy guys not doing there job and having the union protect them,this may be a issue that could be fixed in the contract .they could have a union rep and a company rep agree on fair productivity levels for each area.the union company i worked for had a points system,if you didnot mark a line on purpose you got 7 points,if you had been off 2 feet due to bad locating you got 3 points,so with this point system it weeded out the bad locators from the good,and it was also fair to the companies as far as damages go.the union company i worked for also had 3 locator levels
    .you had to test for each level to raise your pay,they had a rep from the company come and test us,this also showed who was good and who needed to go.we had a lot of good things at this union locating company,more than bad ones,we all got raises due to our abilities to test well and raise to higher levels.the union that represented us is IBEW 1393 OUT OF INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA,the name of the locating company was RELIANT SERVICES LLC,they covered alot of area.I know for a fact this union will represent any locators and locate companies that are willing to organize,and this union fought for us all the way.

Ok LISTEN UP AND LISTEN GOOD ABOUT THIS!!!!

YOUR efforts will be rewarded with UNEMPLOYMENT and a REPUTATION THAT WILL FOLLOW YOU!!!!!!!

As long as CONTRACT LOCATE COMPANIES ARE AROUND A 'NATION WIDE' UNION EFFORT IS A RETARDED THOUGHT AT MOST!!!!!!

I am NOT PRO nor ANTI UNION, I am PRO ME and PRO WHAT IS GOOD FOR MY FAMILY.

If I work in a union shop FINE. If I do not, I don't care as long as the check is there. If I think my position with a company sucks I WILL MOVE ON and guess what?? LISTEN UP BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT!! MY POSITION WILL BE FILLED IN TWO DAYS!!!!

Blog Entries

Jimmy hoffa was not scared and he was a huge figure in history and he helped all kinds of people up to this day by starting the teamsters

Blog Entries

how can a person who never located before become my manager,that is B.S.

Years of Experience

like i said ....good luck dude and let me know how that works out for ya!!!!!
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I just have one question. Why is this in "TheCablevine News" section, shouldn't it be in "Blue Comedy Cafe".

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator1 View Post
    in a union they will fight for you when you have been wronged,and they will get you a fair wage and benefits.they act as a mediator between you and the company.the way i see it companies will make up any excuse not to give you a raise and most will fire you whenever they feel like it.I worked for cls once upon a time,during the winter they wouldnot lay anyone off so we could get 40 hrs a week,this was up north.so if you had bills to pay guess what not enough money,so with a union you are guarnteed 40 hrs a week
    Well...hello John...thought we lost you...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

You guys are crazy if you think a union is going to do anything but make things worse.

First of all, those of you who are clearing tickets sight unseen aren't going to be around long enough to matter. Secondly, these unions could care less about your rights. All they want are your dues.

You will never hear this from anyone in management in any company because it is illegal for them to say it, but the first thing that is going to happen in many areas that unionize is going to be the locate company closing up shop and moving elsewhere. If a locate company cant afford to give raises and bonuses now, how are they going to be able to do so when the unions try and make them raise everyones rates? They aren't.

You sure as heck know that the utility companies could care less wether or not you are represented by a union. They aren't going to pay us more money to locate their utilities while other companies are willing to do it for next to nothing. When lowballing bids stop then things will turn the corner. Until then, get used to the ways things are. Unions are not going to change this.

The only thing that is going to keep your job safe is you. The only way you are going to get a raise is by earning it. Go out and do your job the best you can every day. Go above and beyond what is asked of you without bitching and moaning about it every free chance you get.

I could go on about this all night but I am ready to relax, forget about locating for the night and kick back with the family. Start all over again in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Ok LISTEN UP AND LISTEN GOOD ABOUT THIS!!!!

YOUR efforts will be rewarded with UNEMPLOYMENT and a REPUTATION THAT WILL FOLLOW YOU!!!!!!!

As long as CONTRACT LOCATE COMPANIES ARE AROUND A 'NATION WIDE' UNION EFFORT IS A RETARDED THOUGHT AT MOST!!!!!!

I am NOT PRO nor ANTI UNION, I am PRO ME and PRO WHAT IS GOOD FOR MY FAMILY.

If I work in a union shop FINE. If I do not, I don't care as long as the check is there. If I think my position with a company sucks I WILL MOVE ON and guess what?? LISTEN UP BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT!! MY POSITION WILL BE FILLED IN TWO DAYS!!!!
    If you are "Pro Me" you are anti union. Unions believe in all working for the betterment of everybody. Not me first no matter what!
    You've heard of Democracy in the workplace, an injury to one is an injury to all, etc. It's not just rhetoric, it's a way of life. You saw what the CWA member had to say. If I follow your train of thought I have to wonder how he became union and still works as a locator, if as you imply everyone gets fired for unionizing

Locator 1-You have the right idea and most of the others aren't too far off base. While it is true that Federal Law (The National Labor Relations Act) prohibits a company from firing workers for forming a union, companies lie about why they are firing someone every day. However there is a way to organize without standing on a soapbox like Norma Rae in the middle of the shop.
    Organizing is really about the will of the employees, not the will of the company OR the Union. And the bigger the group the more power you have when you successfully bring workers together. The real battle is getting folks to stand up with you. Lot's are afraid that the company WILL break the law and fire people. Keep in mind that the other side of that coin is that they can fire you right now now for any reason or no reason at all. In most states, I can speak for Illinois, employees are "at will" employees, meaning that they can be fired at the will of the employer without any explanation. The only savior is if they try to fire someone against the EEO policies. Locators could absolutely organize and could do nothing BUT inprove their wages hours and working conditions, but they have to be willing to stand up. I know the Lead organizer for IBEW Local 21 in Northeastern Illinois who has been working with locators and has been trying a smaller version of what you are asking for help to accomplish. They are trying to organize the midwest through their District organizer and coordinated through Locals in the Midwest states. Nationwide would be even better, but it is also harder to get the larger group together. Even just the midwest has been challengng. It can be done, but it will take time, patience and lots of hard work. Unlike the post above that says "try calling and talking to the Union reps that DO cover the small locator population in those areas. They will talk to you ALL DAY and in the end they say 'There's nothing WE can do, YOU have to get guys and gals together on your own before WE can talk to you".---Dave Webster from IBEW Local 21 will talk to you and HELP you get your co-workers together. Not to imply that it will be easy, as I said Dave has been working at it for quite some time now moving forward in baby steps, but if you don't try you KNOW the outcome will NOT be favorable to you. Labor Leaders that brought us the 8 hour day, vacations, Health Care, OSHA, and weekends to name a few, had to take risks, so yes there is a risk involved-nothing worth having comes easy. If you at least want to talk about the process to organize in your workplace you can call Dave at 630 222 9121 and he will talk to you even if you are NOT in Illinois, with NO strings attached.

IF IT IS YOUR WISH TO BECOME UNION-STOP WISHING AND START STANDING UP!!!

KEEP ON TALKING Locator 1-keep on trying to engage your co-workers!

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good
    conscience to remain "Silent". Thomas Jefferson

NO EXCUSES!!!

Banned

Look People

In the last 9 mos. We have lost any chance of getting a increase in pay, Our bonus program, 401K, On-call pay, Vacation time earned, and overtime. You no longer can work over forty hours. I have lost AT LEAST 20% of my income from last year folks. Now I am very thankful I have a job. But we do a VERY important job here. We protect peoples lives. Like Firermmen, Police, paramedic, We deserve respect for what we do. And yes their are lazy people in every job or position. Just be proud for what you do and do it with integrity. Hold your head up high and say I deserve respect. In pay,and benifits, And stop treating us like trash...
    Last edited by Locatingart; August 10th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Zhukov likes this.

Years of Experience

A Union isn't going to change anything within the industry, with the exception of protecting those that shouldn't be in the field in the first place.

The only way to improve the industry as a whole for ALL those involved, AND force contract locate companies to improve wages and work conditions for Locate Technicians, is by convincing your State Law Makers that it is a trade that should be regulated and licensed, just like other potentially dangerous trades within the construction industries (see electrician, natural gas technician, plumber, etc.).

Required regulation and standardization of locating education and skill requirements that are evaluated by an independent agency will result in a higher demand for these skills. The days of hiring "warm bodies" to flood the field with low paid, unskilled technicians will be over.

The down-side to this will be a massive reduction in the current technician numbers, as I seriously doubt many of the so-called locators I see in the field today could come close to passing any legitimate tests.

But, with fewer individuals capable of "passing the bar", so to speak, demand (and RESPECT) for those that CAN will go up, wages will increase, and the industry will attract a more highly skilled set of individuals to the benefit of everyone.

IMO unions only protect the unskilled and unmotivated, rather than "working toward the betterment of everyone" as stated in this thread.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast