Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

Blog Entries

Default Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

I would like to start a group of locators that are willing to join together all across the usa.We need as many locators in each individual state as possible ,so that we may all organize and join one common union and stand up against all the bad locating companies out their that just want to use us as a means to and end.such as Consolidated utilities,all they are doing in some states is putting people on piece rate,and when that happens like here in florida the locator just clears the tickets out to make enough money on his check.Then contarctors will hit fibers and who knows what else due to not locating.I believe if we all band together and join either Ibew or some other strong union this may be our only chance to turn things around.Companies just keep on thinking of ways to shorten our pay and benefits and pay while they make huge profits,so lets all unite in some way shape or form and have the vigo like the patriots did when they found this country and kick the companies a**!!!!Lets hear everyones idea out there,i know Ibew will help us if we try
    The Marlboro Man likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Group Of Locators Tired Of Getting Screwed!!

good luck dude .....let me know how that turns out for ya!!!!
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

With vBulletin you can create groups.

http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/groups/

I agree with l-1, I will talk to some ELM, CUS, and SMP. This will be a long haul but our fathers did make differance for all of us. And we can make a differance.

I also agree. I just dont see alot of united locators getting together to form such a strong union. It would be nice to see. I wonder if we could fall under the CWA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickthrower View Post
    I also agree. I just dont see alot of united locators getting together to form such a strong union. It would be nice to see. I wonder if we could fall under the CWA.
    Not sure which company you currently work for, but both Pennsylvania and North Carolina are covered by the CWA , and both states are closed shops. I.E. , you don't have to be an active member of the CWA if you don't want to be, however you MUST sign a card and you MUSTpay dues as a condition of employment.

In the last year alone, the company tried paying guys only straight time for their afterhour callouts if they didn't have 8 hours in for the day. That lasted a couple weeks and everybody that had done callouts at straight time during this time frame got back pay for it. Supervisors were also trying to make guys drive 2-3 hours one way to someone elses area, then clock in, work tickets, then clock out and drive home. That didn't last long either, and all the guys who had gotten screwed, got back pay.

I could go on at length about how beneficial the union has been in PA, however I'm wiped out, and need to get some sleep. Oh, almost forgot......
    Our 401K's which state the co. will match up to 6% , awhile back the co. dropped it down to like 2 % , this is in arbitration right now, and once again, the company will be making restitution to everyones plans that were shorted.

I know a lot of guys on here are "anti" union, however I wouldn't have it any other way. There's been some real scumbags in management here, that would have run roughshod over a lot of people had it not been for the union.

I'm sure a companywide union is USICs biggest nightmare, and I'm sure they would love to see the union gone from PA and NC. I look at it this way though, my dues are a small price to pay for the security that it provides.

Too each his own though.... Later, ~2RUDE

With Verizon they had it both ways IBEW, and CWA. You need to take to the locals, and ask them how to do it. State by state, and get some peps, to help head it up in each state. we would also need numbers, such has how many locate companies. and how many locators, You might be be able to do this by contacting NULCA, the one call center, or some in H/R, someone is always pi//ed in H/R.

You guys do realize that almost ALL of these companies DO WORK in a 'unionized' area??

They play the game and go by the union 'rules' where they HAVE TOO and in areas they don't THEY WON'T.

Do your research and ask yourself 'How can a part of my company be Union but not the rest of it?' Better yet, try calling and talking to the Union reps that DO cover the small locator population in those areas. They will talk to you ALL DAY and in the end they say 'There's nothing WE can do, YOU have to get guys and gals together on your own before WE can talk to you.' TRUST ME, you start doing that and management finds out YOU get shitcanned and all your left with is a phone number to a Union that doesn't want to talk to you anymore while YOUR looking for a new job.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

AUL is right. You have to lay your paycheck on the line. And you can talk as much as you want, but when it comes down to paycheck or no paycheck it is an easy choice.

There will be some of you out there that say "they can't fire me for talking to a Union Rep" Guess what? That won't be the official reason for termination.

good luck
    The Marlboro Man likes this.

Blog Entries

you are right they will find some stupid reason to fire us,but i have a plan if i get a job at another locate company before i leave this one ill try to unionize the job i work for now before i leave ,that way it may help my fellow man and in return it may help me again someday.The scary part is there will always be people that dont support the union and that will be trouble when i try to unionize my existing job ,someone will surely blow the whistle.You never heard abraham lincolin or george washington say "no we cannot do that its to risky".

What exactly is it you hope to gain from a union? What is it they will do?
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Blog Entries

if we can all banned together and make the companies become fair players with us since we are the ones doing the back breaking locating work.if we dont do something i fear it will all get worse,such as every company adopting piece rate of pay

Blog Entries

in a union they will fight for you when you have been wronged,and they will get you a fair wage and benefits.they act as a mediator between you and the company.the way i see it companies will make up any excuse not to give you a raise and most will fire you whenever they feel like it.I worked for cls once upon a time,during the winter they wouldnot lay anyone off so we could get 40 hrs a week,this was up north.so if you had bills to pay guess what not enough money,so with a union you are guarnteed 40 hrs a week

Banned

Look into IBEW Local 21 out of Chicago IL you need to call

Dave Webster
    IBEW Local 21
    Business Rep/Organizer
    630 222-9121

We do need to ban together!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, you think if the Union is behind us locators we will be able to get money for nothing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting the locating industry back to a respectible industry. I just think that if you go down a pros and cons list.... its iffy at best.

For example, your Guaranteed 40 during the winter. Lets say that Company "A" can run a skeleton crew of 6 locators and successfully cover all responsibilities. However, when High Volumne time comes they hire an extrya 4 locators. Do all 10 get garanteed 40?

You have a 15yr vet who does more coffee drinking and kicking the dirt then spraying paint. He consistantly does not meet the 3 tickets an hour quota, is it fair that because of his seniority he will retain the position over Rookie Rob who is swaggin about 8-10 tickets an hour? or Construction Carl who is on a cable rebuild and meeting the 3 ticket an hour quota but his day is filled with Paint spraying more then anyone else?

I believe that if you are a capable locator, it will be noticed. I earn the benefits my company gives me.

As for not taking Risk... My Ass, Once you have gone through the process of unionizing, and realized that the locating industry is not in a position to unionize due to the in-fighting within the same companies as well as other companies. Not to be out done is the fact that their is no standardized training for Locators, and because the companies will not agree on what should be part of the training, there won't be. We are a good 5-10 years out from being at a point where unions would be comfortable enough to come in and represent Locators.

Just a late afternoon rambling....

mke

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast