Thread: Grammar

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Grammar

A while back I posted something about grammar. I am here to post about grammar again.

In the forum, grammar is a non-issue. So, I'm not concerned about how you write. Instead I'm here to talk about correct grammar when applying for a job.

A way that I gauge whether the job site: locatorjobs.com, is useful to employers and job seekers is to review some of the application cover letters that are sent through the system. I also do it to monitor for spam. I don't read them all the way through because they are really boring. I just skim the abbreviated version on the quick review page. One cover letter jumped out at me. Here is the sentence that caught my eye:

"I would like to have an opportunity to speak with you more about the utility locate position."

I know I'm not the master of grammatical wizardry but sentences like that kill me. Read a little book called "The Elements of style" By William Strunk. He emphasizes writing economically. Don't draw your sentences out if you don't need to. Sentences like that wear people out and hurt your chances of getting a job.

"I would like to have an opportunity to speak with you more about the utility locate position" can easily be whittled down to "I want to speak with you about the utility locate position." it is so much clearer and intelligent. If that seems a little direct, then: "May I speak with you about the utility locate position" should do.

If saying you want an opportunity to speak with someone seems more appropriate then take a minute and break down that sentence. The word opportunity basically means you want a chance to do something. It isn't a guarantee that you will do it. So getting an opportunity means you are trying to set up the circumstances that might get you an interview. Instead of a chance at an interview, you want an interview. Skip the opportunity part and get an interview instead.

Sorry if this was your cover letter.

Okay... I'm done.

"Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Default Re: Grammar

well I am glad you got that off you chest Steve.....ha ....I feel better too !!! ha !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I have to agrre as that Kelsey Grammer, the Fraizer Crain guy, has had a few scandals. I would never put bad Grammer on my resume.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Steve,

I just went through the process of hiring a new guy. I too, ain't no genius when it comes to grammer. With that being said, I was surprised on how many errors were on applications and resumes.

I had one guys state that his monthly income was a buck ($1.00) I jokingly refered to this in the interview when I said that "we could easily double his monthly salary".

More than the grammer, when it comes to the interview process... If they use the word "irreguardless" that is an automatic fail for me.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

For all intensive purposes, I agree.