Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mke
  • 1 Post By jayc

Thread: GPR training

Years of Experience

Default GPR training

Does anyone know where I could find some free GPR training?
    I would like to improve my skill set.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: GPR training

It's the old Catch 22 I'm afraid. You would most likely have to learn that skill from an SUE company but they would most likely want you to have GPR experience when they hired you. If you can get in with a good SUE firm that is willing to train you then you should jump at it. Besides GPR, you'll learn about locating a wide assortment of buried utilities that the average 811 locator never deals with. Just know that SUE locating can be even more seasonal than 811 and depending on the workload you can find yourself idle for extended periods so be careful to plan for it.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    It's the old Catch 22 I'm afraid. You would most likely have to learn that skill from an SUE company but they would most likely want you to have GPR experience when they hired you. If you can get in with a good SUE firm that is willing to train you then you should jump at it. Besides GPR, you'll learn about locating a wide assortment of buried utilities that the average 811 locator never deals with. Just know that SUE locating can be even more seasonal than 811 and depending on the workload you can find yourself idle for extended periods so be careful to plan for it.
    ehhh... I agree and disagree all at the same time.

Daman is right, it would be a hole lot easier just to find a Sue firm that employs GPR and learn that way. I worked for a company that was in the process of buying one and was able to pick up enough information through seminars, conferences, and training to get enough info to not be lost when pushing the sled. Check the manufacturers or the local distributors (depending on the GPR) to see if they have any open training sessions.

The part that i'm disagreeing with is the SUE firm being more seasonal. I worked in one of the wettest areas and we worked all the "F"ing time. The only time we stopped was when it iced over, which was 2-3 days a year. And everyone stopped during that time.

I would concentrate on learning the restraints the GPR system has. Each one has slightly different bells and whistles, but their operation is based on antenna frequency, soil conditions, and topography. All that will help or hinder the picture you see on the monitor. When it comes to identifing the hyperbolas that show up on screen, that unfortunately comes from time behind the wheel.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    ehhh... I agree and disagree all at the same time.

Daman is right, it would be a hole lot easier just to find a Sue firm that employs GPR and learn that way. I worked for a company that was in the process of buying one and was able to pick up enough information through seminars, conferences, and training to get enough info to not be lost when pushing the sled. Check the manufacturers or the local distributors (depending on the GPR) to see if they have any open training sessions.

The part that i'm disagreeing with is the SUE firm being more seasonal. I worked in one of the wettest areas and we worked all the "F"ing time. The only time we stopped was when it iced over, which was 2-3 days a year. And everyone stopped during that time.

I would concentrate on learning the restraints the GPR system has. Each one has slightly different bells and whistles, but their operation is based on antenna frequency, soil conditions, and topography. All that will help or hinder the picture you see on the monitor. When it comes to identifing the hyperbolas that show up on screen, that unfortunately comes from time behind the wheel.

mke
    I guess I was speaking from a regional perspective when it comes to the weather. An SUE in Florida or California wouldn't see as many highs and lows but I've seen too many companies from warmer climates expand into the Midwest or Northeast who didn't understand the problems that exist when winter hits. Cars getting stuck, drive times increasing, snow covering marks, can't drive a flag in the ground, and work taking much longer to get marked out due to frozen or buried access points. If they don't have a plan for that they will struggle to stay profitable.
    It just has to be an established firm that can keep the work coming in. Smaller and newer SUE firms won't always have a steady steam of business until they make a name for themselves. If that's not an issue then SUE is a great way to make money slinging paint.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    I guess I was speaking from a regional perspective when it comes to the weather. An SUE in Florida or California wouldn't see as many highs and lows but I've seen too many companies from warmer climates expand into the Midwest or Northeast who didn't understand the problems that exist when winter hits. Cars getting stuck, drive times increasing, snow covering marks, can't drive a flag in the ground, and work taking much longer to get marked out due to frozen or buried access points. If they don't have a plan for that they will struggle to stay profitable.
    It just has to be an established firm that can keep the work coming in. Smaller and newer SUE firms won't always have a steady steam of business until they make a name for themselves. If that's not an issue then SUE is a great way to make money slinging paint.
    I wasn't bustin balls or anything. just noting that a busy firm has to mark in all types of weather.

Mud knee deep.... check
    Torential down pour....check
    On top of 4' of snow....check
    109degrees eastern oregon with no shade.... check

etc... etc..

no worries Daman.

mke
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

I have also learned that in some states it is a requirement to have a geologists to intrepid a GPS .
    ALSO I have a few videos on GPS systems . They are like all locators , different bells and whistles .
    Right now I do work for a SUE company but they haven't bought a GPS yet.
    And I figure I need more assets in my bag , so to speak , to work towards a even better job .
    Mine is good now but you never know when , not if , a better job will come along.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    I have also learned that in some states it is a requirement to have a geologists to intrepid a GPS .
    ALSO I have a few videos on GPS systems . They are like all locators , different bells and whistles .
    Right now I do work for a SUE company but they haven't bought a GPS yet.
    And I figure I need more assets in my bag , so to speak , to work towards a even better job .
    Mine is good now but you never know when , not if , a better job will come along.
    Yeah, I guess the wonderful geniuses of California came out with that rule, because, you know, California does everything that makes sense and always thinks with a level head.