Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good transmitter placement

Years of Experience

Default Good transmitter placement

When approaching a house with the electric, phone and cable all next to each other on the wall where is the optimal placement for the transmitter and ground rod for locating phone to avoid bleed over on electric or cable tv. And is direct connecting to the tip w/o unbonding a safe shortcut?

Years of Experience

bleed over will happen no matter what you do............my opinion.. and what is your definition of tip .......... the ground rod needs to be placed in the area that you assume the svc's do not go ...hope this makes sense to you....

Years of Experience

I always couple the tv at the back of the house. I will then couple the phone if there is not a house protector on the service. If there is a house protector on the back of the house I will unbond and direct connect and then locate. Last but not least locate the electric after shallow utilities are located, you will probably still get bleed off but with the others located first it's easier to deal with.

As yahoo said your ground rod should be placed as far away from the services and out of the presumed path.

Years of Experience
    na

What the hec is a house protector???

Sounds like a pit bull or dobey thing to me...

Are you talking ground wire where the phone and tv are typically bonded???

If thats the house protector? thats a hec of a stretch for the synonym for the ground wire on the electric service meter...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    What the hec is a house protector???
    Everyone has different names for everything. Also called a NID or network interface device. It's the box on the side of the house the drop goes in. I was saying if the drop goes directly into the house I'll couple it and if it has a NID I'll unbond it then direct connect.

Years of Experience
    na

You can still unbond the phone line inside the interface on the house without disconnecting service if you have the ONI and ped wrench...

As well as the TV...(that can be another elaborate assortment of gadgets for access since throughout the years different lock mechanisms never stayed the same)...

As long as we re talking text book direct connect...

Personally I try to make my numbers so as most all old timers know by the book wont satisfy the due time or quotas...

But we wont go there...

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Everyone has different names for everything. Also called a NID or network interface device. It's the box on the side of the house the drop goes in. I was saying if the drop goes directly into the house I'll couple it and if it has a NID I'll unbond it then direct connect.
    Hey, whadya know, a term that's the same. (N.I.D's.) Put on all the new homes I locate in the newer subdivisions. I assume you are unbonding the green ground (I know, stupid question!).
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Hey, whadya know, a term that's the same. (N.I.D's.) Put on all the new homes I locate in the newer subdivisions. I assume you are unbonding the green ground (I know, stupid question!).
    Yes I normally unbond the green wire. Anyone that has worked in my area knows my little secret. Once I get in a NID I take a spare pair and when I close up the NID I just leave the spare pair out just enough to hook up to. This way the next time I locate the lot I just hook up to the spare pair and I don't have to open the NID. I've worked the same city for 11 years so I have done alot of these over the years.

Yes I normally unbond the green wire. Anyone that has worked in my area knows my little secret. Once I get in a NID I take a spare pair and when I close up the NID I just the spare pair out just enough to hook up to. This way the next time I locate the lot I just hook up to the spare pair and I don't have to open the NID. I've worked the same city for 11 years so I have done alot of these over the years.

Holy cow batman!

Do you know how many times I have opened the same NID boxes and NEVER thought to pull a spare pair out. I am thinking I would pull it out through the hinged side of the door. That way if anyone else were in there they would not likely disturb the wire.

Years of Experience
    na

We just rehired an old timer recently who was also a super for a time...

They gave him a horn the first day back out, well 3 days out in the field he was telling this fellow locator who didnt have the tenure maybe but been around long enough how he could tell by the feel of the signal on the horn if he was on a fiber or not....

HA!!!! he did nt exactly have a perfect record when he left originally...needless to say....

Hey im pretty good with my weapon of choice... but I aint that good.... unless i already know its there to begin with...

That subtle slow sway of the signal can be duplicated by a variety of crap...

See me gettin warmed up for the contest now....LEts do THIS!!!!

Years of Experience
    na

Yes I normally unbond the green wire. Anyone that has worked in my area knows my little secret. Once I get in a NID I take a spare pair and when I close up the NID I just leave the spare pair out just enough to hook up to. This way the next time I locate the lot I just hook up to the spare pair and I don't have to open the NID. I've worked the same city for 11 years so I have done alot of these over the years.

A spare pair sticking out the interface on countless houses for when you go back????

HOLY KAMOLLY!!!!

I could see a hand hole for a fiber or major cable where taking that time would pay off for this process...

But individual house interfaces????

I never...Im wordless...Shakes head in dis belief...

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    A spare pair sticking out the interface on countless houses for when you go back????

HOLY KAMOLLY!!!!

I could see a hand hole for a fiber or major cable where taking that time would pay off for this process...

But individual house interfaces????

I never...Im wordless...Shakes head in dis belief...

Sorry...

Hey there C.C.

From the time they install the power/telephone services, I might visit that same lot 5-6 times for various reasons. I kinda see that as a bit of a time saver.

I see doing this on a "construction homeowner" (where the owner has not moved in yet). Not so much on a "residental homeowner" but again, I have visited several ho to do locate for driveway, then tree/landscaping, then fence,etc. So if I could clip and go... that's helpful

Years of Experience
    na

Im surprised the phone techs havent cried to say the least...

I may, dats a big may, need to direct connect a drop here and there...and no i dont couple either...

But for the most part...I dont need to direct connect drops if there grounded and not new coiled up crap...its a wham bam thank u mam event...Here I ll do it with my eyes closed...hee hee hee...

I dont use that same process under all circumstances...I just dont take a lot of time with elementary locates knowing i will get the same end result...Especially house drops...

Id start shopping equipment or experiment with what you have to make the job simpler...Thats why they made the equipment with optional functions ...I dont use a pipe horn either I hate gain (w/ exception congested or deep facilities)and making something out of nothing because of gain...Another waste of time...

I have a backup 480 frequency on the surely though...I like that!!!

You wouldnt use a b-b gun to kill an elephant...So why use an AK to shoot tweety bird...

Last edited by USIC1; June 6th, 2008 at 06:35 AM.

[.
    Last edited by 2RUDE; June 21st, 2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Hey there C.C.

From the time they install the power/telephone services, I might visit that same lot 5-6 times for various reasons. I kinda see that as a bit of a time saver.

I see doing this on a "construction homeowner" (where the owner has not moved in yet). Not so much on a "residental homeowner" but again, I have visited several ho to do locate for driveway, then tree/landscaping, then fence,etc. So if I could clip and go... that's helpful
    Originally Posted by Goldenboy
    Yes I normally unbond the green wire. Anyone that has worked in my area knows my little secret. Once I get in a NID I take a spare pair and when I close up the NID I just the spare pair out just enough to hook up to. This way the next time I locate the lot I just hook up to the spare pair and I don't have to open the NID. I've worked the same city for 11 years so I have done alot of these over the years.

The golden one is correct. I've been doing it this way for as long as I've been locating. Locators that go to the areas that I have been to notice the pairs sticking out of the of the NID or interface. Man does it make for a much quicker, and safer (GD bee hives) locate. (underground, you ought to know there is no such thing as a stupid question. Hell I don't think anyone here knows everything, and different areas use different terms). Now it seems alot of locators up here do the same thing, but considering now the contract with AT&T states that we will now pay for drop damages (wonder what thoughtful person thought of this).
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast