Thread: Getting out

Default Getting out

Well, the time has come and I'm getting out of the locating industry. I think I'm more happy to leave the company I'm with than leaving the industry altogether, but it is what it is.

It's been 3 years and the truth is that even though I've been told time and time again that I do a great job, I have minimal damages and the ones I have were charged to me on technicalities (no pictures on one even though the line was clearly marked on the ground, one line not on the prints, etc) they're not putting their money where their mouth is. I gave them warning that if the salary issue wasn't resolved that I would be leaving because I already had another employer interested, but the fact that they didn't respond to me at all shows me they're not willing to fight to keep me, so I'm not interested in continuing to work for them.

On a near daily basis, I was the top producer in our group, usually doubling what the other locators were doing (normally over 80 customer locates per day, sometimes more). My on time percent was always 100%, I never called in sick, always came in early and stayed late, and in the three years I was there I managed to dip below the pay level of new-hires, as well as someone I trained (who I found out is now making more than what I do on overtime).

Unfortunately, I can't get the last three years of my life back, so I'll have to chalk it up as a loss, but I must say, I now definitely have more respect for workers in the utility industry.

It was real, it was fun, but it wasn't real fun. I'm moving onto a career where I'll enjoy a climate controlled room, be provided a uniform, be able to help people, and continue my education on the company's dime eventually. Not a bad gig at all!

Peace everyone!

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Getting out

Good luck! And good hunting! I hope you find better shores at your new job!
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

Good for you, and good that you chose to go out on a high note. Sounds like you did your time with one of the larger contract firms out there. Truth is, most of these outfits are run like a temp agency. And many "locators", act like it's a temp job.

And whatever you do, never think of your three years in this business as "wasted" time. It takes both brains and balls to do this job the right way, and having those will help you greatly in whatvever you choose to pursue.

Good luck and God Bless friend!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    It takes both brains and balls to do this job the right way, and having those will help you greatly in whatvever you choose to pursue.

I couldn't have said it better.

This has USIC written all over it.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your decision and good luck with your new job.

It seems that the good employees are always the ones that are screwed over. The crappy employees that need baby sitting and whine about everything seem to get the preferential treatment and the pay raises. I never understood that line of thinking.

You know you are always welcome here no matter what job you are holding. Once a locator always a locator.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I got out in February, I just couldn't take being abused any more by USIC, I kicked around for a few months and finally latched on to a railroad job.

I got out a few months back. I was fortunate that I had a way to retire and be done with it. I will say that I was treated very well by CUS. Good luck to you. Oh and after many many many years of locating, I DONT MISS IT. But I do miss the group I worked with.

Years of Experience

15 years and I still love it!

Years of Experience

good luck to ya dude....hope you enjoy your new job!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Good for you, and good that you chose to go out on a high note. Whatever you do, never think of your three years in this business as "wasted" time. It takes both brains and balls to do this job the right way, and having those will help you greatly in whatvever you choose to pursue.

I couldn't have said it better.
    I'm with the Robot and Goldenboy on this one.......... Good Luck 5000!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------