Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Gas Prices

Years of Experience

Default Gas Prices

WoW! I filled up my 2007 Ford Ranger V-6 work truck today. I had 191 miles since my last fill-up. $63.50! That's 3 miles per dollar!

Our boys in Iraq captured the biggest pool of oil on the face of this earth and we pay $4.00 per gallon at the pump! What ever happened to the spoils of war?
    Last edited by Wingfoot; June 14th, 2008 at 04:39 AM.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Re: Gas Prices

Wing:

We have an area in Alberta about 85,000 square miles where they are surface mining oil plus tons of conventional oil drilling.

Price at the pumps today? $5.28 for a U.S. gallon.

We are literally sitting on a sea of oil and asking the same question. Why the hell are we paying sooooo much for gas?
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

I am so glad we bring the company trucks home. Some of my buddies have to fill up their personal vehicles every other day. That would drive me crazy to spend that much on fuel.

Just wait we'll all be driving fuel cell vehicles for company trucks.

Years of Experience

Its right at $4.00 a gal here 70 some dollars to fill up the Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I am so glad we bring the company trucks home. Some of my buddies have to fill up their personal vehicles every other day. That would drive me crazy to spend that much on fuel.

Just wait we'll all be driving fuel cell vehicles for company trucks.
    You are sooo right Golden. That (bringing truck home) really has to be one of the unsung benefits of the job. I really do save a ton of money not driving my SUV back and forth. I might fill up my SUV once every two weeks now.

Not sure how one would translate that to an "average" saving but I suppose it would be worth about .50 cents or more an hour. (because I do not have to buy the gas).

Just wait till the 4th of July about the tuesday before, the price will magically start to go up screwing with everyones vacation plans. Im staying in town for sure! Next trip out of town wont be till November! Ill start saving now

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Our boys in Iraq captured the biggest pool of oil on the face of this earth and we pay $4.00 per gallon at the pump! What ever happened to the spoils of war?

When Bush finally steps down as President in 2009, he will have left behind the greatest legacy in the history of energy production. More important than the invention of nuclear power stations, he will have brought oil across the middle-east all the way to China. Americans may have thought that THEY were going to get all that Iraqi oil, but they are sorely mistaken. Iraq's oil is going where it is the most profitable: China.

Americans subsidize their gasoline prices with taxes to keep gasoline prices low (and thus keep transportation/food prices low and keep the American economy running smoothly).

The United States has the price of gasoline close to $3.90/gallon. The real price is closer to $5.50 if you ignore subsidies. The Chinese do not have taxes and there are no gas subsidies. In Hong Kong, China it is closer to $5.60/gallon and keeps going up. The gasoline price flows more naturally, and the demand in China is HUGE!

Lets say you have a million gallons of gasoline to sell. You could sell it in the United States and make maybe $5 million, or you could sell it in China and make $8 million.

Its a bit like a bidding war, and China is simply bidding a lot more.

As oil tycoons, Bush and Cheney both understand this. They can do the math.

The current cost of oil is $120/barrel (slightly higher in China due to demand). One 42 gallon barrel of oil when refined makes 19.4 gallons of gasoline.

Thus after refining the oil into gasoline you now have 19.4 gallons of gasoline from each barrel worth almost $110. Add 8 gallons of low-sulfur diesel fuel and 4 gallons of jet fuel worth $65 combined. Still more revenue is available for the remaining 10+ gallons of refined product from each barrel of crude oil.

China currently uses 8.4 million barrels of oil per day and that statistic keeps growing. It is estimated to reach 20 million/day by 2010 (the Chinese have started buying cars like crazy) at which point it will actually pass the United States in oil usage and the price of oil by then will go up to $250/barrel and perhaps $8/gallon. That is only 2 years away.

By building a pipeline from Iraq all the way to China the UNOCAL Oil Company will be able to tap into the Chinese market and make literally billions of dollars/day.

Two years from now George W. Bush will be one of the richest men in the world.

The only remaining hurdle is to invade Iran and start building a pipeline across there too.
    Last edited by Wingfoot; June 14th, 2008 at 04:39 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

How bout a chart of the tax pie on gas and diesel ???

state and federal...

Someones just gotten wise to a cup of java at a starbucks in relation to fuel costs....

What do you expect???

Last edited by USIC1; June 11th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

All I can say is stockpile food & water people.... the day is coming...

Years of Experience

Today when I fueled up the work truck the price of gas for regular unleaded was $4.09/gallon.

Years of Experience
    30+

I paid $4.03 today for a gallon of gas.

Years of Experience
    na

My company paid so I didnt keep track...

Lately I ve been getting raises because of that but have nt noticed because food offsets the fuel savings...

Its all down hill from here...

Any possiblity of the economy picking up involves higher energy fuel costs which defeats acceleration in the economy...

Progress energy has petitioned raising there rates 16% I think January 1 09...

Wait til that hits...All the energy companys will raise across the states...

Im going to go live like Grizzley Adams in Steves backyard the saw tooth mountains and pan for gold on the side or shoot at a rabbit like Jed and by a place next to Paris H and make some videos... Screw this...
    Last edited by USIC1; June 11th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    My company paid so I didnt keep track...

Lately I ve been getting raises because of that but have nt noticed because food offsets the fuel savings...

Its all down hill from here...

Any possiblity of the economy picking up involves higher energy fuel costs which defeats acceleration in the economy...

Progress energy has petitioned raising there rates 16% I think January 1 09...

Wait til that hits...All the energy companys will raise across the states...

Im going to go live like Grizzley Adams in Steves backyard the saw tooth mountains and pan for gold on the side or shoot at a rabbit like Jed and by a place next to Paris H and make some videos... Screw this...

SO USIC1 just WHAT kind of videos were you thinking of shooting....not more of those Grizzly Adams or Disney Classics I hope!!

I still get a good laugh when people think the war is about oil.
    We get less then half of our oil from the middle east, we get most
    of our oil from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I still get a good laugh when people think the war is about oil.
    We get less then half of our oil from the middle east, we get most
    of our oil from Canada.
    Interesting Dracula. I didn't think the percentage was that high. I am probably wrong but thought is was around 30% somewhere.

We are building mega billion dollar refineries/processing plants like crazy in Northern Alberta (Canada) in order to ship more oil south. About two weeks ago one company announced they are increasing their production by something like 1 million barrels to export to the U.S.

Last week, the Ambassador to the U.S. who resides in Ottawa (David Wilkins) announced that the U.S. MAY stop using our oil for U.S. government vehicles as the "processing" is a relatively high green house gas emitter. So my question to Mr. Wilkins is "It is better for the U.S. to buy oil from Venezuala or the middle east???"

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast