Thread: g2 verifier GIS updating

Years of Experience

Default g2 verifier GIS updating

Curious if anyone has any experience they can share in regards to the g2 verifier. Working for a municipality locating ductile and cast iron water mains as well as tracer wire for sewer force mains.

I have many years experience with all RD, subsite, pipehorn, and metrotech equipment but have heard very little regarding the g2 verifier. As we are working on updating and building GIS data for our prints the equipments ability to pair with trimble handhelds to capture real time gps data points to upload into our GIS data base is intriguing, 2 birds one stone type thing.

Having reviewed the RD and Metrotech capabilities for data capture leads me to believe that they are more for auditing purposes vs building a GIS database.

Anyone ever used or currently is using a g2 verifier? do they have the "guts" to locate ductile and cast well? are they well built? any other pros vs cons?

Years of Experience

Default Re: g2 verifier GIS updating

Have you looked at Vivax Spar system? They have a new system out that will interface with trimble and is supposed to be very accurate. http://www.optimalranging.com/spar

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've looked into this and what I keep running into is the accuracy of the external GPS needed for the unit to be in the proximity of the lines you are trying to pick up. Most "internal" GPS units will not give you anything near sub-meter accuracy. the ISX blue ii will dwindle that down to manageable distances, but you will need an external antenna, mostly mounted on an elevated part of your body. It could be on a rod sticking out of a back pack or mounted like a propeller on a beanie hat. Just understand when you record the position, it will only give a reference to where that external antenna is. If you are leaning one way or another, it could throw off the accuracy. You will be also limited by the amount of storage on the locators. The system for vivax when I was looking isn't meant for any marathon locates.

As for using a multi frequency locator like the G2 for cast and ductile.... It veries depending on how the system in question is built. Most of the area where I'm @ it is useless on lower frequencies. You need something in the neighbor hood of the old 810 frequency (83kHz). The higher frequency tends to jump gaps at the joints. The ability to induce helps quite a bit and the multi frequency machines tend to use a middle of the road frequency for induction and you will have questionable results from this.

Good luck
    mke

Years of Experience
    a few

If you use the G2 as the locator and want to integrate with Trimble it will be a huge uphill battle for you compared to choosing another receiver to use that others have already gone down the path of integration. The accuracy will be based on the Gnss or GPS units that are being used, i.e. sub meter vs. centimeter. The easiest way to get 4 inch accuracy or less is to use a Trimble geo 7X with Terrasync and a Radiodetection 8100 or 8000. Don't think of the receiver as the data storage for the job you use the receiver for the depths and line location and that info is sent to the GPS handheld to be integrated into the data flow of Terrasync in the custom data dictionary you create to collect the data. The 8100 or 8000 will bluetooth to the handheld and become a sensor providing the doc and location of the trace. Anything in this world is possible but at what lengths you will you go to make it happen. The information is available online that will give you the nmea stream data that might not even be possible with the G2 because there might not be a stream to parse from. Next would be a Seektech 24 that can do what you are asking. The vivax may do it but may not as I have tried already to view the data off of the USB port and what is needed was not there, I have not tried very hard with the Vivax but I think I may be able to make it work with more effort.
    Or if you want just basic data that is logged to the receiver that you will have to go through and relate to the persons travels during the survey you still probably can't use the G2 but can just use any vivax or Seektech or Radiodetection unit that has bluetooth and logging to pair them with the trimble just for the purpose of having better more accurate GPS in the Locator and not use the stock GPS chip.

Years of Experience

Thanks for the replies, we currently have a Trimble GeoXT 6000 series handheld which is capable of submeter accuracy. playing with it in the field i have been able to get it to register down to within 14", took a little time at each manhole but I am not worried about speed. Also construction of the mains is rubber gaskets and in some cases on older mains lead joints between sticks of pipe.

I reviewed the data logging for the vivax and the rd and it appeared to me that it would just capture a point every so often, where as the g2 has a log button allowing you to pinpoint over the utility and wait for the gnss signal to "range down" before you hit the log button.

The ability to "pick" my log spots vs having to download a bunch of random hits and then decipher which ones are on what seems better. Or are you able to pick when you want to capture spots using the vivax/RD?

Gotta admit the "log" button the g2 is the selling point for me right now especially since i can pair it with our existing handheld. However i know people on this site have more experience with this stuff so looking to gain some knowledge prior to getting some demos done.

Years of Experience
    a few

The vivax vloc 2 has a log button and I am pretty sure the RD does also. And since you have a geo 6000 I hope you have Terrasync installed then you have the option of setting the locator up as a input device. The reason you want it set up like that on the geo is that you can make notes which is great, do a line instead of just points, and it is mapped as opposed to just a log on the locator that starts with 1 and ends at 200. To see what I am talking about just google (radiodetection 8000 trimble terrasync sensor) and you can read the setup pages. If you just want basic info then a Raidiodetection or a Vivax or a Seektech 24 all with bluetooth will allow logging and the ability to use the gps units chip. If you are set on using the G2 you need to connect a cable to it's serial port and to a computer with a terminal open and see if it has a stream of messages that come out and that depth is used in the stream as part of the log sentences. Also consider buying a pole and external antenna so you can place it over the location and get good accuracy compared to a backback orjust holding the geo in your hand.

Years of Experience
    a few

Just looked it up the Rd 8000 has a graph button that saves the info on demand and you would be using the surveysurt rd program. I own a lot of locators but have never bought an 8000, but it has always been much harder for me to get everything talking to each other compared to the RD units but the reason is that they are such a common popular locator that people do the work to make them easily work with Trimble products.

Years of Experience

Hey Paintitup if you have ant questions about the Rd 8000/8100 you can contact Travis at subsurfacesolutions He is a wealth of info on RD and GPS mapping. Sounds like Cuda has been around the bpock a few times as well. I love this site you can find out anything.

Years of Experience

Default G2 Verifier GIS Updating

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------