Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Future of Contract Utility Locating.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: The Future of Contract Utility Locating.

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    That's when you blame the company that bid so low to get a contract that they can barely afford to staff themselves for dig season. There's a spring rush and an end of summer rush when there's often no way one tech can handle the increase volume in his area when they bid that low. I've seen many quality locators throw up their hands because they get overwhelmed and just stop answering the phone. "I'll do what I can" becomes the motto.
    There are a lot of good contractors out there who do everything right and will work with the locator who are sick of the status quo too. The bad ones distract from taking care of the good ones. I think the utilities are also partly to blame for being too short sighted to pass up a low-ball/low quality bid. Something definitely has to change.
    I have to blame the client that took a low ball bid knowing that that amount of money would not provide adequate marking service.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    You mean like when I hit an unmarked power line last week? Then the next day another contractor hit another unmarked power line sending one of his guys to the hospital? Oh, did I mention the unmarked gas main and service I crossed on the same job? Yeah, real funny. I'm dying of laughter.

U
    Sure
    It's
    Correct

^ - That didn't get started because of the wonderful job they do.

You sir are not a contractor. You are in the locating industry. Nice IP address by the way.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Charging excavators for locates has a negative effect on the locating industry.

Maryland law allows counties or municipalities to charge for locates and Anne Arundel County does so. The result is excavators put the maximum length a locate is allowed to be rather than break a long job into multiple tickets. Want to do a 5 miles of road locate? We have them in Maryland.

Ans since there is a charge for each ticket they put as many lont on one ticket they can. So mark lot 112, 15 and 267 on one ticket rather than three.
    Wow that is crazy. certainly should not bill for a call in, instead they need to limit the distance they can call in.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What about all the times I go out to a job, pre mark it, wait until my ticket clears, and I've got no locates - especially from USIC? Now, I've got a crew with machines sitting around and doing nothing - that I'm paying, and now I've got to wait 2 hours and hope that the "locator" that they sent it to will actually show up in the 2 hour window. I've got MULTIPLE tickets this year of 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th requests for no-show to mark.
    This is for 2 reasons.

1. the locate company is understaffed for the reasons given. They lowballed a contract and can't afford a full staff.

2. The locators are out doing tickets for contractors that called in more locates than they need for their project. Half this thread has been about contractors calling in tickets today for jobs coming up down the road. Or, calling in tickets for jobs completed. Or, just calling them in because they are about to expire whether they need locates or not.

If contractors called in just what they needed then your tickets would get completed sooner.
    Kramit69 and UULC like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatepro View Post
    You sir are not a contractor. You are in the locating industry. Nice IP address by the way.
    Not a contractor? He is from what I believe a contractor? Whats this "nice IP address"
    daman1 and jayc like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy121 View Post
    Not a contractor? He is from what I believe a contractor? Whats this "nice IP address"
    I won't put his name on here but trust me he is in the locating industry and not in the state that it says on his profile. He is not a locator though he is in management.

Years of Experience

Sorry to break the news, newbitch, but I am a contractor. A few people on this board can confirm that, so you lose. Also, unless you're a mod, there's no way to get an IP address off of here, but good try. Nice almost threat there.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

FYI... I double checked all my settings and only 3 people have access to IP addresses. Myself and the 2 moderators. If he can see IP addresses then he's got something going on I don't know about.

Your IP addresses, Jayc, are unique to yourself. So, I don't know what significance they would have IF he could see them.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Sorry to break the news, newbitch, but I am a contractor. A few people on this board can confirm that, so you lose. Also, unless you're a mod, there's no way to get an IP address off of here, but good try. Nice almost threat there.

I been watching you post since you joined this site Jason lol. Certainly not new to Thecablevine, love this site.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

Ans since there is a charge for each ticket they put as many lont on one ticket they can. So mark lot 112, 15 and 267 on one ticket rather than three.

ct doesn't charge, but we STILL get this, poles in a line I can sort of see, but when they are scattered down a long ass road? or 3 add's over a miles long road?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatepro View Post
    I been watching you post since you joined this site Jason lol. Certainly not new to Thecablevine, love this site.
    Sorry dude, not Jason. Thanks for playing though.

Years of Experience

Huh, interesting development here... whether Jayc is a contractor or not, the fact remains that, like Steve said, if contractors would take more responsibility to make sure that their dig area and path were unobstructed by say, getting all prints from utilities in conflict so that lines can be accounted for before, during, and after a locate is complete. Then accidents and hit lines would lessen, I'm sure.

After all, Utilities have facilities already in place, excavators are in the sole business of digging where others have laid claim. Your whole business is digging, you, more than anybody is taking the liability to conduct your business in a safe manner. Quit chucking it off to some minimally paid, stressed out contract locators who not only have you, but 20 others just like you to deal with at all times.

It's time for the 811 system as a whole, to change and shift to a more utility owner friendly system, rather than the other way around.

And yes, I was a contract locator/supervisor for 4 years in IL and am now a "In-house" locator for a utility in Florida. So I understand the plight of the "USIC" guys in your area, I'm sure they are doing all they can and then some, mostly to the detriment of their own mental and physical health and to their family life.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
    UULC, daman1 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    Huh, interesting development here... whether Jayc is a contractor or not, the fact remains that, like Steve said, if contractors would take more responsibility to make sure that their dig area and path were unobstructed by say, getting all prints from utilities in conflict so that lines can be accounted for before, during, and after a locate is complete. Then accidents and hit lines would lessen, I'm sure.

After all, Utilities have facilities already in place, excavators are in the sole business of digging where others have laid claim. Your whole business is digging, you, more than anybody is taking the liability to conduct your business in a safe manner. Quit chucking it off to some minimally paid, stressed out contract locators who not only have you, but 20 others just like you to deal with at all times.

It's time for the 811 system as a whole, to change and shift to a more utility owner friendly system, rather than the other way around.

And yes, I was a contract locator/supervisor for 4 years in IL and am now a "In-house" locator for a utility in Florida. So I understand the plight of the "USIC" guys in your area, I'm sure they are doing all they can and then some, mostly to the detriment of their own mental and physical health and to their family life.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
    There is no way for a contractor to get all the prints in the area. The utilities are not going to give them out, and most of the USIC guys don't like you looking at the prints for one utility let alone multiple ones on their laptops. USIC made their bed, now they have to lie in it. I know they underbid their contracts, can't pay you guys what you want or think you should be paid (guess what, I don't get paid like that either), are understaffed and overworked because of it. But you know what, it's not my problem. It's theirs as a company. Now they can't meet ticket times, have tons of damages because of it, and they are putting peoples lives at risk by not marking things either accurately or on time.

Look, lets leave it at this - you have your job to do, I have mine. You have 48 hours to mark the ticket - by law, and by the contract USIC has with their respective customers. If you can't handle it (not the individual locator, the company as a whole), lose gas or power, stick to telecom. You'll have happier people, less stress, and less damages. After you're done, I've still got to plan my dig or bore, see how many utilities I have to expose, and then get to work. It costs me more money to have crews sitting around because there are no marks. Now your problem is my problem. I've already filed complaints against all of USIC's customers with the ICC and have reached out to the damage prevention people at each utility and strongly recommended that they should rethink giving USIC a contract renewal. Some of them I've heard are thinking of taking it back inhouse.
    UULC, orangeboots and daman1 like this.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I think Jayc is legit, and I think I might know what company he works for just from his descriptions he's given on jobs he has done.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

What bothers me about contractors is they will call in tickets for 4,000 feet on both sides of the road just to see what side of the road has the less amount of stuff. Then you spend all day marking the hell side and maybe on the other side you have some crossings. Well they go with the side with little to nothing on it. do i blame them, no. But I mean if you want us to suck it up and mark everything out on both sides of the road then you suck it up and pick a side and call in tickets for that one and that one only. Then when they get the 4,000 feet bored in a week or two weeks they will call in refresh tickets and sometimes haven't even made it half way through their first 2,000 feet. But expect us to be all go go go and get their stuff marked when they haven't been go go go since they started their project. Then when they finally get the boring done and it becomes time for tie ins. They will recall the whole 4,000 feet back in just for 3 areas that need marked. Instead of taking some of that white paint they have from locating their rods and just white marking where their tie ins are they will complain and call us lazy cause we call and ask if they are only doing tie ins. But at the same time they are being lazy by not marking the 3 places where they are doing tie ins and calling in 1-3 tickets with these areas and these areas only.

And whats really awesome is when they put this non armored fiber in for miles but want to make their job easy by not pulling tracer back with the fiber or ducts, which they are supposed to do. Then a few months will go by and the same contractor will need to cross that fresh new fiber with no tone wire. So they call in their ticket, I show up spend a few hours going from hh to hh looking for the tone wire this lazy contractor didn't put in. And when i call the contractor and tell them they will have to wait to cross it until a tone wire is put in. Then they wanna bitch and call me lazy and tell me i don't know what im doing? But yea its all the locators out here. There is no bad contractors and they all do everything up to code and follow what the contract says.

If only they would learn if they would put more effort into being a contractor and taking what 45 min out of their day to call in where they have put in white paint. Their jobs may get done faster and easier but na, they would rather put everything on the locator and say hes the lazy one

Oh yea, the contractors that will call in second notcices for need all utilities to verify markings because they have pot holed 2 feet and cant find it. But in all reality it means they sit and wait till the locator comes while they sit on their ass and collect hourly. I know contractors do this because my buddy will laugh about doing it to me all the time. And in indiana when you call in a second notice for my fiber the law states I have 24 hours to respond and i take that 24hrs if i marked my stuff right. Not my problem its 10ft and you gave up at 2ft.

And emergencies. I have 2 hours to make contact. I have 6 hours to get the ticket marked. So ive been cussed out of alot because Im not dropping what I am doing and heading straight to you because you decided to forget to call in a ticket and show up and decide to call an emergency

Done with rant, This week has just been horrible. And i get along great with my contractors, its these new guys from out of town that thinks they come in writing my paycheck that has basically made me give up on caring for this week lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast