Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Frozen Paint

Years of Experience

Default Frozen Paint

Anybody out there have any tips on how to keep the paint from freezing up within the 1st few minutes of a locate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Frozen Paint

If cold enough to freeze paint quickly you cannot stop it. I kept one or two extra cans stuffed inside my jacket / coat and swapped out as the ones on the paint stick froze. You can warm up cans on the dash over the windshield defroster vents.

As the can sprays out paint and propellant gas heat is lost and adds to the cooling the can.

You could wrap a can on the paint stick with rags soaked in engine oil and light it like a torch . Let us know how that works for you.
    yahoo and Kramit69 like this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    If cold enough to freeze paint quickly you cannot stop it. I kept one or two extra cans stuffed inside my jacket / coat and swapped out as the ones on the paint stick froze. You can warm up cans on the dash over the windshield defroster vents.

As the can sprays out paint and propellant gas heat is lost and adds to the cooling the can.

You could wrap a can on the paint stick with rags soaked in engine oil and light it like a torch . Let us know how that works for you.
    I absolutely LOVE this suggestion!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this suggestion!
    Used to in Winter keep paint on passenger side floorboard. Then some office wonk ordered no paint inside vehicle so all paint froze solid. So I put cans of paint on top of engine intake manifold. Occasionally ignition shorted out.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

this issue has plagued us all through the years .....LOL ...here in Louisiana we don't have that problem....but the one time that he got that cold ..I sprayed the paint from my hand instead of the paint gun .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default Frozen Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    Anybody out there have any tips on how to keep the paint from freezing up within the 1st few minutes of a locate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Greetings Meat! I welcome your membership to the Cable Vine! It is nice to have a lady join the ranks in our forum. It kinda/sorta keeps the "locker room" talk to manageable limits.

I have visited your city of Chicago maybe 8 times during my life. Twice I visited your city during the summer and Chicago is awesome during the summer. The rest of my visits were done in either January, February or March. I know first hand your city can get very chilly during the winter. During each of my winter time visits I have seen the frozen waves along the Lake Michigan waterfront. Now that's cold in my book:

I can appreciate your challenge to keep your cans of paint flowing during the 1st locate of the day and beyond. Winter temperatures here in Kansas City go up and down like a yo-yo. The past 3 weeks we have seen many days with single digit highs with a few 40s sprinkled in just for fun.

You most likely get solvent-based paint by early winter which helps a little until it gets colder than 10 F. I might be getting some solvent-based orange, red & yellow paint later this month. The blue, green, white and black paint I use will always be water-based year around.

I bag up 2 oranges, 2 reds, 2 yellows, 2 blues, 1 green, 1 white and 1 black cans of paint in a trash bag every night and store in my heated garage. The next day I place the trash bag of paint on the passenger-side floorboard of my work truck. I rotate frozen cans of paint from the back of my truck to the floorboard as I use up the heated cans. So far this year, having the heater set on KILL and blowing on the floorboard only between locates has allowed all my cans to flow nicely all day.

Anyway, thanks for joining the 'Vine and please post often!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Vine. I can only repeat what has been said already. Well, except the flaming torch that would be your paint stick.

Keep your paint in your house at night. Put it on the floorboard in the morning. Keep one or two in your jacket while painting and paint by hand instead of the paint stick. Rotating paint in and out of your jacket as needed.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

If you work for the 4 letter locating company and they still give out those hand warmers,wrap one around your paint can in the stick. It will keep it warm for 2-3 locates.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    If you work for the 4 letter locating company and they still give out those hand warmers,wrap one around your paint can in the stick. It will keep it warm for 2-3 locates.
    They give out hands warmers!?!?!?

We were told to stick our hands between our butt cheeks if we wanted them warm.
    yahoo and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience
    3 years

Just be careful when spraying by hand, you don't want the nozzle to clog up partially and squirt you in the eyes.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Caution if you put partials on the dash to thaw. If the can clogged while straying once it thaws it will release. I throw my sandwich bag over the top. Painted to many dashes and windshields in my time. I usually throw two of each in my bag with my transmitter and bring it in the house. Winter drains the batteries too. I have a box on the floorboard and throw cans in it. Throw the heat between the defroster and floor. Alternate them as they freeze. A lot of partials during the winter.