Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forced lunch half hour

Default Re: Forced lunch half hour

TG the BS is over... Sometimes I still wake up sweating from "locator shock" after being hounded on so many issues for so many years from management, and contractors....

Of course there is also the spraypaint monster that hides under the bed at night - exuding that leaking can sound that gets louder and louder until you look underneath and nothing there.

OH MY!

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post

I fully agree with the other person who mentioned eating while driving to the next job... works everytime and is the best actual usage of time.
    I do the same. I can't stand just sitting in my truck doing nothing for a half hour when there are a million things to do.

Just be careful. We are all guilty of MAJOR distracted driving. I can't believe there aren't more locators getting into accidents while glancing at the laptop or taking a call (or both at once). If I had to pull over for every call I got, I'd end my day about a mile and a half from home still on my way to the first ticket.

It sure as hell would be sweet to get some or all of upper mngt.to walk just (1) WEEK IN OUR SHOES,I do believe things would change in a hurry. Such as Forced lunch breaks that are going to cost them way more money than they think their saving.This Co. is becoming the laughing stock of all employees.Can't believe they can't see the forest for the trees.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Okay. let's put this one to rest.

Below is from the Government Printing Office website. Note there are references to court cases.

In addition to Federal regulations each state may have it's own. I believe Nevada requires at least a 30 minute lunch break after working 8 hours.
    The regulation below does not require employers to have a lunch break but does make it clear they may require one as it defines what is and is not a lunch break.

Electronic]Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Code of Federal Regulations

785.19 Meal.

(a) Bona fide meal periods. Bona fide meal periods are not worktime. Bona fide meal periods do not include coffee breaks or time for snacks. These are rest periods. The employee must be completely relieved from duty for the purposes of eating regular meals. Ordinarily 30 minutes or more is long enough for a bona fide meal period. A shorter period may be long enough under special conditions. The employee is not relieved if he is required to perform any duties, whether active or inactive, while eating. For example, an office employee who is required to eat at his desk or a factory worker who is required to be at his machine is working while eating. ( Culkin v. Glenn L. Martin, Nebraska Co., 97 F. Supp. 661 (D. Neb. 1951), aff'd 197 F. 2d 981 (C.A. 8, 1952), cert. denied 344 U.S. 888 (1952); Thompson v. Stock & Sons, Inc., 93 F. Supp. 213 (E.D. Mich 1950), aff'd 194 F. 2d 493 (C.A. 6, 1952); Biggs v. Joshua Hendy Corp., 183 F. 2d 515 (C. A. 9, 1950), 187 F. 2d 447 (C.A. 9, 1951); Walling v. Dunbar Transfer & Storage Co., 3 W.H. Cases 284; 7 Labor Cases para. 61.565 (W.D. Tenn. 1943); Lofton v. Seneca Coal and Coke Co., 2 W.H. Cases 669; 6 Labor Cases para. 61,271 (N.D. Okla. 1942); aff'd 136 F. 2d 359 (C.A. 10, 1943); cert. denied 320 U.S. 772 (1943); Mitchell v. Tampa Cigar Co., 36 Labor Cases para. 65, 198, 14 W.H. Cases 38 (S.D. Fla. 1959); Douglass v. Hurwitz Co., 145 F. Supp. 29, 13 W.H. Cases (E.D. Pa. 1956))

(b) Where no permission to leave premises. It is not necessary that an employee be permitted to leave the premises if he is otherwise completely freed from duties during the meal period.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    Forced lunches as a public utility locator responsible for emergencies is bullshit. I know that On Target and Premier both pay for the lunch periods to be taken, they don't require you to clock out or even claim you took one. This is because you are not absolved of your on call emergency responsibilities while eating lunch. They want you to respond as quickly as possible if you get a call, no matter what.

But for all other companies forcing a unpaid half hour lunch, yes it's a technique to reduce the amount of overtime they pay out. that's 2.5 hours of overtime they no longer have to pay. I am surprised they don't bump it up to a full hour of unpaid lunch across the board.

I fully agree with the other person who mentioned eating while driving to the next job... works everytime and is the best actual usage of time.
    I don't doubt that for you, and many other posters here, that would be 2.5 hrs you would be working. But we have all seen the many slackers who come into our industry. You can bet there would be a large number of these locators who would be taking a half hour or more a day eating and not marking. In my observations those locators are just here to grab a paycheck until something better comes along or they get fired and they do not post on the 'vine. You have to be interested in bettering yourself and this industry to post on the 'vine. Well, not many of them post here or if they do most will not stay long, we are not the kind of company they would enjoy. .

I think it is really stupid to take 30 minute lunch. I have periods during the day when I have to drive 30 minutes between areas to run damages. But that for some reason does not count. So I have started turning off my phone, computer and dropping off the grid on gps ( driving into parking garage works every time.

I literally never, ever take a lunch break. Haven't in years. They haven't said anything to me yet, if they start hounding me I'll start doing it I suppose. It's definitely company policy to take it. They don't enforce it at all for some reason.

Who would"nt take a lunch break??? Talk about a suck ass

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UNIONLOCATOR View Post
    Name calling is not necessary.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UNIONLOCATOR View Post
    Look at his screen name. Nuff said.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

A few years back I tried to take an hour lunch. Talk about a waste of time.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    A few years back I tried to take an hour lunch. Talk about a waste of time.
    A one hour lunch in an all you can eat buffet and I would be done for the day, passed out cold.

On very hot days back in the day of paper time sheets I would log my one hour block of time and take three 20 minute breaks , a chance to cool down.

Often I would have lunch with me and it took only a few minutes to eat. I did this in the parking lot of a library and spent the rest of the time in the library. Surf the net, read magazines, etc. For you newbies learn where the libraries are in your work area. They are a good place to wait out a rain storm.

In one area I worked there was a race horse training facility. I would park outside the fence by the track where they ran the horses. Not to watch the horses, they had these petite girl jockeys riding them. Best lunch hour ever. And yes, I did keep binoculars in the truck, not to watch the horses. If I watched girls in tight pants, rumps up in the air crouching on a saddle at the merry-go-round I would be regarded as a pervert, there I was a sports enthusiast.

Years of Experience

Worked in both Saratoga county in NY and Fayette county in KY. Big sports enthusiast. Although when asked why I have binoculars in the vehicle, I say I have them to read the pole numbers or address number across the street.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by PokerAdam View Post
    Worked in both Saratoga county in NY and Fayette county in KY. Big sports enthusiast. Although when asked why I have binoculars in the vehicle, I say I have them to read the pole numbers or address number across the street.
    That's what I bought mine for, so I would not have to cross large ditches. Also great for checking out what was coming down a pole, able to see the top in detail. Still carry them with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12