Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forced lunch.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Forced lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    What they should be doing is attacking the one-call centers and lobbying congress to get laws and statutes changed to the benefit of the locating firms.
    But wait, weren't you just on another thread saying it is what it is and to basically just deal with it?
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    They are doing this for the same reason they do everything else they do. MONEY!!! They are losing pricing on their contracts and they are having to look for other ways to save money to make up for the lower prices of their contracts. They have no capability to think outside the box so they do what every major corporation does which is attack the labor cost, it's the easiest way to save. However it will eventually be their downfall when there is a revolt in the field. It's only a matter of time, history proves time and time again you can only push people so far. What they should be doing is attacking the one-call centers and lobbying congress to get laws and statutes changed to the benefit of the locating firms.
    The company is run by a private equity firm. When the rent comes due, and the harvest is lean, they simply cut a pound of flesh off of each and every employee and call it fair. Why do you think you are making less money than in years past, and working harder? Why do you think that management will not provide you with proper tools, training, support? Why do you think that you have absolutely zero job security, even if you are the A #1 go to guy/gal in the crew year after year? If you are looking for a fair shake, look elsewhere. That gig is a con, and in many ways it has always been. But now it's set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    But wait, weren't you just on another thread saying it is what it is and to basically just deal with it?
    Did I say that about not getting a rasie??!! I said in another thread about having to deal with BS emergencies that it is what it is, and not to say basically deal with it but saying that because I've tried many times and many ways to do something about BS emergencies but all fall on deaf ears. I think you may be confused, don't get it twisted I am thoroughly pissed about not getting a raise. Post the thread you are referring to a maybe I can clarify things for you but I don't believe I would say anything of the sort concerning raises. Matter of fact I think in another thread somewhere I went on a rant about just how pissed I am about it.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Take a look at this?

Join Date Feb 2009
    Location USA
    Posts 141 Re: overworked and underpaid.......
    Originally Posted by big boots mcghee
    Same here. I got a 3% bonus based on a 40 hour work week. I didn't even get the whole amount paid out - I got half now and I'll get the other half in October (so long as I'm still here). I was told that all the guys that make more than $18/hour would be receiving their "raises" this way this year. What gets me is that every year I've been here I've always been told that 3% was the max raise, yet every year word gets around that some techs got much, much more than the max. One tech last year got an 11% raise, and that same tech got a 7% raise this year. It's like these people think we don't talk amongst ourselves.This is because it wasn't a performance based raise at all, in fact it was quite the opposite. What they did was factor in how much time you have in and what your current rate was. If you had 3 - 6 years and were making less than a certain dollar amount , around 16/hr , regardless of your performance you got a healthy raise, there are exceptions to this rule of course. Then all the senior techs making 18/hr or more, like you said, got a bonus raise which is garbage, screwing you out of all that overtime pay. Now pay close attention to your bonus pay, on the review sheet it says in fine print after where it says the other half will be paid later in the year " other policies may apply " this simply means " we may screw you out of the second half of your pathetic bonus if we deem it necessary! ". Don't be suprised if this happens, they just did this very same thing to all of management, they said raises would be in April after first saying they would be in January , then to just pull the plug all together and say volume isn't where they want it so you aren't getting anything. What they are doing is to try and prevent losing the guys in the middle ground, like they do year after year, and they're doing it at the expense of the senior techs and management. They're counting on the senior guys not going anywhere because 1: they've been here soo long and 2: where are they going to go and make more money. They are raping you all because THEY CAN!!!! Meanwhile higher ups rake in fat candy bonuses but yet they cry poverty, it's a disgrace what is happening over there at that company.

same with the lunch here. just pack a fishing pole and box in the truck and go fishin. as far as the bathroom things, ran into the questioned stops with the start of the gps for my restroom breaks. after 3 phone calls told them to look at my next ticket and they saw the pic i took as evidence and never bothered after that. i know its not something you need to share, but got them off of my back.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4jw87 View Post
    same with the lunch here. just pack a fishing pole and box in the truck and go fishin. as far as the bathroom things, ran into the questioned stops with the start of the gps for my restroom breaks. after 3 phone calls told them to look at my next ticket and they saw the pic i took as evidence and never bothered after that. i know its not something you need to share, but got them off of my back.
    That's a great idea!

The reason they force lunch is to keep you guys in the field longer. If you were to get done early and be home already, they would have to pay you door to door for something that came in at the end of the day. If your still in the field, you're closer and management gets theirs as always. USIC/SM&P/CLS is a plague on this industry. All the crap they pull trickles into the rest of the marking companies.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I think it was back in 2006 or somewhere near there s&p got sued by someone over the lunch thing. As we know our days can get quite busy and sometimes there was no time to take a lunch or like most of us we eat our lunch while driving between locates at lights and such, or eat it while looking at prints. After they lost we had to take lunches. Of course we all bitched about it. At first we would take it on the drive home then they stopped that. One guy did actually fish during his lunch. IT is like anything else such as clock in/clock out comes about from being sued or covering their ass to keep from being sued

They say this every year, but once the tickets start rolling in nobody pays attention anymore.

I haven't been taking a lunch and so far nobody has said anything to me. I usually toss an sandwich, apple, and a pack of nabs in the truck and snack throughout the day. Even if I stopped it would take me 5 minutes to eat. I just want to work and go home, not sit around for 30 minutes pickin my nose.

USIC Is Making Us Take A Lunch Because Its There Way Of Saying You Better Eat Now Because We Wont Have You Home In Time For Dinner, There Whole "Get Home Safe" Is just because they want you home safe so you can wake up and be back at work in the am. The GPS, The Forced Lunches Is Just ANother Way For Them To Say Dance Lill Puppets Ima Pull this String And Youll Turn Your Truck Off. Give Me A Break 100++ Degrees -2 degrees And 0 Idle Time Now How In The Blue Fu*k Is That Safe For The Locators?? And There So Safety For Things That Cost Them Nothing, Vest Or Limited To Like 35 Washes Past That 8 months Ago. Hardhats Are To Be Replaced If It Suffers And Hard Hit Such As Dropping On The Ground. The Gas Cans They Give You Are Not DOT Approved..So All In All Shouldnt Safety Start With Them Before They Attack There Employees?? And Idle Time Why Can Supervisors idle there truck none stop and nothing said to them?? Its Almost Like Management Forgot Where They Originated From???? And STOP with the rush if your not doing 2 per hour they send you home???? Its Weird How When You start they say a locate takes aslong as it takes 1 ticket at a time... HA HA

Years of Experience

This is just my own personal opinion. Take it how you want. But it would be nice if management took a step back and realized that we, the ones out pounding the ground and putting paint down, are their bread and butter. Without us they would be out looking for a job. We mark the tickets and we make the money. They (management), sit on their a** and dictate to us how it should be done. To me I think if you keep your employee's happy then you will get more work out of them, good productive and quality work. If you piss us off then how am I supposed to have a clear mind to do all that needs to be done. Yes having a job in this economy is good, but that doesn't mean you should run around trying to screw us. It also doesn't mean they need to run around and kiss our butt either. Management needs to remember that we are people and not robots. Plus if they can do better than bring your butt into the field and show me ALL Day long, how I am doing it wrong. No I dont work for USIC. I have a lot of friends that do. But up until last month I was working for Utiliquest.... and beleive me they were just as bad as USIC. At least down this way.

Well, I've talked to a lot of USIC locators in the area and I would be really surprised Management didn't hear the loud noise made by all the 'anchor dropping' right after the raises (or lack of) being made known. I know for a fact they are really feeling the effects now. Oh well - you get what you pay for!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123