Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forced lunch.

Default Forced lunch.

As you other who work for USIC may have heard today were going to be forced to take lunch between 11-1 now. What a load of BS. So now we get to be at work another 30mins a day on top of the 12hr day were pulling.

On a side note. You guys notice the damage number for HOU TX the other week. Holy cow.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Forced lunch.

I would hazard a guess that someone filed a lawsuit against them for being denied a lunch break. I still plan on filing a suit against them for back pay of stand by pay for all the days I was on call, which they are legally required to pay, I just haven't had time to look for a lawyer that is willing to turn it into a class action suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that someone filed a lawsuit against them for being denied a lunch break. I still plan on filing a suit against them for back pay of stand by pay for all the days I was on call, which they are legally required to pay, I just haven't had time to look for a lawyer that is willing to turn it into a class action suit.
    Ya this was my 1st week ever on call. It blows. 70hrs. Putting my 2 weeks in tonight. But so as not to screw over my frisned that work there ill stay another 3 weeks if they want so they can get a new guy in to take my place. So long as I only work 8hrs a day.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Isotopes View Post
    Ya this was my 1st week ever on call. It blows. 70hrs. Putting my 2 weeks in tonight. But so as not to screw over my frisned that work there ill stay another 3 weeks if they want so they can get a new guy in to take my place. So long as I only work 8hrs a day.
    I quit in the winter, offered two weeks notice, and was told to go to the office and turn in my truck the next day. I'd go back to locating, but I won't do it for USIC.

Years of Experience

I've been using my "forced lunch" to hunt for mushrooms. Once morel season is over I don't know what I'll do with the time.

I never take a lunch. I guess I'm glad it isn't like my wife and brothers work where they have to take an hour lunch at their office jobs. I just want to get my stuff done and go home.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

at STS we have to take a 30 minute lunch before the 6 hour mark, and if we work over 10 we have to take a second 30 minute break.... this as you know what brought on by the class action lawsuit from a year or so ago.... I am sure the industry took notice.....

Years of Experience

Yeah, the forced lunches suck. I haven't gotten in trouble yet, and I've only been taking 10-20 minute lunches. I'm done eating in ten, and besides cleaning my truck there's really not much to do while clocked out. It's a waste of time, but its not like USIC is the only company to force lunch breaks. Every other company I've ever worked for has done the same.

And 70 hours? Badass paycheck. I'll take all the hours I can get, but that's just me. To each his own. I would recommend you have another job lined up or started before quitting... And do research to make sure they can afford to staff you a solid 40 hours. A lot of them can't nowadays. I am happy to be working 12 hour days at the moment... but then again I can definitely use the money.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What's a lunch break? Is that where you slow down enough to go through a drive thru and then head to your next ticket?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

For the past two or three years they've tried to push the mandatory lunch thing pretty hard once dig season is in full swing, usually in April or so. Then it dies down after a couple of weeks and they don't regulate it for the rest of the dig season.

Where I'm at, the state labor laws say the employer can only make a lunch period available. They can't force you to take a lunch, or so I've read thusfar. I've got to do a little more homework to find out if that's really the case.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    What's a lunch break? Is that where you slow down enough to go through a drive thru and then head to your next ticket?
    Aint that the way, CV.
    Should be called "lunch challenge", cause now you have to drive one-handed while eating your pizza slice/ sub/ burger..
    (May you live in interesting times)

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

My take on this is our employers believe we are going to stop and eat anyway and that if we stop to buy food and then take the time to eat then there is the half an hour. So I have to say it makes sense to require a mandatory lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    My take on this is our employers believe we are going to stop and eat anyway and that if we stop to buy food and then take the time to eat then there is the half an hour. So I have to say it makes sense to require a mandatory lunch break.
    Myself and most locators that I worked with were either to busy to stop or wanted to work thru lunch to get done half an hour earlier. Nobody stops and eats during the peak dig season because there is no time. Maybe grab a sandwich from the drive thru and eat on way to next locate. With GPS in the trucks, it's a no brainer that if you stopped and didn't clock out, the employer would question the 30 minute gap in truck movement. Most guys don't want to be out there an extra half hour a day because an employer has made it a requirement to stop and clock out. Just another policy that makes a locators already hectic and busy schedule more difficult to manage by losing 30 minutes a day.

So glad I quit USIC and no longer have to deal with there ridiculous micro management style. Loved the job just not their policies. No wonder they have a huge turnover rate.

Mandatory 30 minute lunch here too. But you can't run you AC in your truck during your lunch, even if its 100 degrees outside. USIC has froze all OT for the time being, even though we are swamped with work. Past due tickets out the a$$!! USIC did the same thing last year in my district. Blamed it on the economy. You know what happen after the freeze of OT?? BAM!!! GPS in the trucks. MAkes you wonder what they have up their sleeve this time?????

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    Mandatory 30 minute lunch here too. But you can't run you AC in your truck during your lunch, even if its 100 degrees outside.
    Seriously ? They have the ability to monitor your AC unit remotely and compare it to your lunch break? Someone has actually been called on the carpet for that? Can you run a portable fan off the cigarette lighter? Are they even considering the reduction in gas mileage due to the windows being down? Damn, I couldn't work for a company like that. Ever see the way they treat really good racehorses - like royalty. Why? because they make you a lot of money.

If i was forced to take a 1/2 hour lunch and I couldn't have air conditioning, I'de head over to the local strip club and take my half hour lunch in a nice chilled environment at no additonal cost to the company.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Premier Utility Services (at least in some states) and On Target Utility Services offers a paid lunch break for all of thier locators. The locator is still paid for his lunch break because he is not absolved of his duties to respond to on call emergencies. If you get an emergency in the middle of your lunch, you are required to respond. One of the few fair things that Premier Utility Services actually still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Marks View Post
    Ever see the way they treat really good racehorses - like royalty. Why? because they make you a lot of money.
    Awesome, awesome quote. Must write this down...
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast