Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forbidden, dark secret magic - using a witching stick on plastic gas facilities!

Default Re: Forbidden, dark secret magic - using a witching stick on plastic gas facilities!

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Next time your around high transmission lines or a substation, try using those sticks. Let me know how that works for you.

If your sticks AREN'T spinning around in circles like a compass due to the 'static electricity' just in the air, then your holding them too tight.
    Now you've hit on my own 'theory' of rods.. electric fields (as in, disturbance of the earths - or any notable disturbance in man-made fields )

One of our part time locators likes to witch things.. and he usually is bang on.. recently had troubles near a transformer station tho.. heck he was picking up flow towards downguys even.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Default Re: Forbidden, dark secret magic - using a witching stick on plastic gas facilities!

I train locators and even some of our office staff how to witch by using a garden hose in the shop and depending how much I turn up the water the stronger the signal is. I dont agree the we are picking up the cut/trench when witching I was taught that is the flow rate in the line we are looking for. Dont believe me try it yourself with a garden hose in your back yard.
    [FAILEDSAFTYAUDIT was rite you do need to spin the rods before witching this builds up static on your body and you get small bites of steel/metal on your skin that helps you become a good conductor.

How deep is it here? What about here ? and Here ? What s taking so long are you almost finished? (Go site in your F**king truck )

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    So it sounds like the mystical practice of witching is better saved for things like a 16" gas transmission line carrying 400 PSI of gas instead of a 5 pair telephone drop, simply for the fact of the trench being wider.

It's generally accepted the deeper the utility is, the more difficult it would become to get a response from the witching needle, amirite? Or at least the deeper the trench is?
    A 16" transmission line with a pressure of 400 PSI is going to be steel, not plastic so why would one feel the need to "witch" it?

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ok guys, I am gonna take a swing at this. I have done some reading up about dowsing in the past, but most of my explanation comes from a study done at Purdue University specifically about dowsing.

First, it's called "dowsing", not "witching", although I break out my "witching rods" from time to time too. Do a google search of "Dowsing", there is a wealth of information and misinformation out there, it's my PERSONAL opinion that there has been quite a bit posted here as well. But give me a chance to try to clarify some of it.

Dowsing is the process of locating "Fields" using metallic rods or willow branches, etc. The use of the word "Fields" is crucial here. It's what you are locating. Negatively and Postively charged ionic fields generated by the flow of negatively and positively ions through a utility, or even naturally occurring fields. Since pretty much everything in the world contains these ions, dowsing is a sketchy science right from the get-go.

According to the Purdue study, one of your hands is positively charged, the other negatively charged (Yes, I'm a bit sketchy on that part too, but let's go with it for the sake of this discussion). When you hold two metal rods, the rod carrying a negative charge (from your hand) aligns itself with a positively charged ionic field, the positively charged rod will align itself with a negatively charged ionic field. Similar to the magnetic poles. However, these field do NOT have to be magnetic in nature, I personally use Brass welding rods because of their conductivity. This blows the whole "magnetic fields" specifically creating this phenomenon right out of the water. And lends true to this study of locating fields of any type. The study was also clear that you only need one rod to Dowse for ionic fields, the negatively and positively charged rods are aligning to each other, which again, lends credibility to the whole theory. I have seen this to be true as well. I have dowsed with one rod only, and it seems to work just fine. I have also seen dowsing done in line with the utility, not just crossing it, although, I am a bit sketchy on this process as well. I have have followed 90 degree bends, etc. this way, after the water line was marked electronically.

I have occasionally located PVC water mains for our vac truck crews with dowsing rods, and have verified other utilities (elec, gas, tele, etc.) with them, but we don't stand by marks painted by dowsing either. I have also failed miserably many times over. I have spent many hours in the field digging test holes in search of plastic utilities, but the rods were aligning to naturally ocurring fields instead of what we were trying to find.

Now, how does dowsing for wells with a willow crook work? No clue, anybody else have any information on this?
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; August 27th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Dowsing for water with willow branches is something different than witching.

I've never seen the willow branches operate like the witching sticks. Usually on top of a water source the willows cross to make an X.

I have NO idea how it works at all. I have seen many well drillers use this method however with 90% accuracy and success.

Sorry findit but if your talking about positvely and negatively charged ions, that is still going to be magnetic theory.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Dowsing for water with willow branches is something different than witching.

I've never seen the willow branches operate like the witching sticks. Usually on top of a water source the willows cross to make an X.

I have NO idea how it works at all. I have seen many well drillers use this method however with 90% accuracy and success.

Sorry findit but if your talking about positvely and negatively charged ions, that is still going to be magnetic theory.
    You are partially correct AUL. Magnetic fields will have an effect on ferrous materials, but non-ferrous materials will not be affected. Why would brass welding rods align themselves with a magnetic field natural or otherwise? Brass is non-ferrous. Maybe I am wrong here, but it is simple earth science. I am pretty positive the fields we frequently look for are typically magnetic in nature, generated by the flow of electricity, even static electricity, but not all of them. You can't paint this topic with just one brush. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; August 28th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    You are partially correct AUL. Magnetic fields will have an effect on ferrous materials, but non-ferrous materials will not be affected. Why would brass welding rods align themselves with a magnetic field natural or otherwise? Brass is non-ferrous. Maybe I am wrong here, but it is simple earth science. I am pretty positive the fields we frequently look for are typically magnetic in nature, generated by the flow of electricity, even static electricity, but not all of them. You can't paint this topic with just one brush. Your thoughts?
    Witching rods, it's witchcraft! Each time you use them the Devil gets a little piece of your soul.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Joking aside everything reacts to a magnetic field. It's just with most things the reaction is so small it cannot be seen and is difficult to measure.

Using highly intensive magnetic fields a frog can be made to float about as if in a zero G spacecraft.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-xw_fmB2KA

Everything exerts some kind of magnetic field.

Findit, brass is still made up of different components. Mainly copper and zinc. Some applications have iron thrown into it.

I know the effects of trying to use a compass while close to an iron deposit first hand, the compass doesn't work so well.

I agree with you that this topic ISN'T able to be painted with one brush. I don't think ANY of us really have all the answers to how and or why this works.

I know what I know from being a country boy for the first half of my life.

All I know 100% is that it works sometimes, but not ALL the time.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

PL that is because most living things have iron in our bodies......

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Is copper non-ferrous too? Would copper be a good material to create dowsing rods out of?

What about these:
    http://www.amazon.com/C-Green-cgreen...3437915&sr=8-7

Are there any other places to buy professionally made dowsing rods?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    Is copper non-ferrous too? Would copper be a good material to create dowsing rods out of?

What about these:
    http://www.amazon.com/C-Green-cgreen...3437915&sr=8-7

Are there any other places to buy professionally made dowsing rods?
    A good point and copper wire makes a fine witching stick, done it afore.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123