Thread: Fiberglass Line Locating (Oil & Gas)

Default Fiberglass Line Locating (Oil & Gas)

The company I work for clears their own locations and uses radiodetection equipment. Typically our flowlines are carbon steel for about 50 yards from sub-batteries and then convert to Fiberglass.

We have run into several incidents where lines were struck because the locating equipment didnt pick up the lines.

In some instances the tracing tape or cable was cut or missing all together. Is there other equipment (i.e. ultrasonic) that can be used to locate flowlines that dont have tracing?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Fiberglass Line Locating (Oil & Gas)

Why was someone allowed to dig around your facilities if you couldn't locate As the owner
    /operator you should not have allowed any digging till you confirmed the pipe location . You may be able to use gpr but it only works in certain conditions . I personally think you should verify every every foot of pipe and gps it

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Why was someone allowed to dig around your facilities if you couldn't locate As the owner
    /operator you should not have allowed any digging till you confirmed the pipe location . You may be able to use gpr but it only works in certain conditions . I personally think you should verify every every foot of pipe and gps it
    You definitely need to try a MALA Easy Locator Ground Penetrating Radar unit.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm with orangeboots.... GPR is definatly an option, but has its limitations and may not be cost effective if it doesn't produce the results. There really is no good way to locate fiberglass product lines. The only way to locate this line with out a doubt is to shove a fishtape or sonde into the pipe. Since most of the time this is out of the question you'll have to pot hole to verify location.

I would also recomend surveying the location for future record. Worst case scenario you can lay out those surveyed points in the future.

Mke.