Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 2 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: Favorite 'shortcuts' for use in locating tricky situation?

Years of Experience

Default Favorite 'shortcuts' for use in locating tricky situation?

Everyone has a favorite shortcut or two and a reason why it isn't how the books say to do it, what is yours?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Favorite 'shortcuts' for use in locating tricky situation?

my favorite when I was locating phone , was never opening the phone ped and just hooking my leads to ground and then the phone ped itself .
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    my favorite when I was locating phone , was never opening the phone ped and just hooking my leads to ground and then the phone ped itself .
    If you don't open the ped how do you find the hive of angry bees?
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Just a reminder that you have to already know the ped is bonded. The jackass before you probably never rebonded anything. Common knowledge to an exerienced and dedicated company man like Yahoo but you gotta remind the noobs.
    yahoo and Mellen like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I would tell you my best shortcuts but I dont want it entered as exhibit A in my upcoming depraved indifference homicide trial.

Daman does it by the book. Every time. .
    Just sayin
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Just a reminder that you have to already know the ped is bonded. The jackass before you probably never rebonded anything. Common knowledge to an exerienced and dedicated company man like Yahoo but you gotta remind the noobs.
    I had no idea about this. How do you make sure the ped is bonded btw?

Years of Experience

when you work your defined area as long as I have worked it .....you just know that it is already bonded ..because that is the way I left it !!!
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

when you work your defined area as long as I have worked it .....you just know that it is already bonded ..because that is the way I left it !!!
    This only works if no other locators work on smae utility in your area. Oncall emergency locates get people in your area. Heavy workload can get other locators sent to your area. Trainees snet to learn from light duty jobs can ens up in your area. If you are off (like sick, vacation) you get people in your area.

Years of Experience
    a few

The following link to an old thread here on the site is a really good read if you do VFD power locates, it also can open your eyes to other problems when you have to deal with distortion that you have no control over because you can not shut certain things off both 3 phase and single phase. On some equipment you don't have a chance to type in whatever freq you want you only can use the preset ones your locator or transmitter have. Even if that is the case you usually have the option of trying 60hz or 120 plau using the power 60 filter. On the Seektech I have 3 power 60's to choose from but before reading this thread I never had tried them. Now I use them and also will type in custom freqs. for whatever i have goin on. I take no credit for this info just referring it back out there as a trick to use.
    See if you can figure this one out.....

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mellen View Post
    I had no idea about this. How do you make sure the ped is bonded btw?
    Bonded = grounded. All the live cables in pedestals, manholes, or any access point should have a ground block and ground strap connected to each cable. You unbond to isolate a cable, rebond when your done for continuity.. Its taught in first week training. Then its forgotten in the interest of saving time and general laziness.

No one taught you that? Are you an 811 locator?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Bonded = grounded. All the live cables in pedestals, manholes, or any access point should have a ground block and ground strap connected to each cable. You unbond to isolate a cable, rebond when your done for continuity.. Its taught in first week training. Then its forgotten in the interest of saving time and general laziness.

No one taught you that? Are you an 811 locator?
    The problem we had with bonding in phone peds were the small nuts needed to attach the bond. A small nut that was easy to drop into the bottom of the ped. It took so long to root around and find it that this was frequently left that way. We decided we needed a small bag of such for lost or missing nuts. Would cost maybe a dollar to do this but management would not authorize the money.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The problem we had with bonding in phone peds were the small nuts needed to attach the bond. A small nut that was easy to drop into the bottom of the ped. It took so long to root around and find it that this was frequently left that way. We decided we needed a small bag of such for lost or missing nuts. Would cost maybe a dollar to do this but management would not authorize the money.
    I used to grab the ones from unused posts in new peds. Kept a couple dozen handy that way. The phone guy can deal with it when he does a hook up. They have bags of them. Turns out their bosses arent such cheapskates

Years of Experience

OHHHH..that's what the other end of the ped wrench was for ????? LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    daman1 likes this.