Thread: FAA: Airbus 320 Engines Dangerous

Years of Experience

Default FAA: Airbus 320 Engines Dangerous

Two weeks before US Airways Flight 1549 ditched into the Hudson River, the Federal Aviation Administration ordered heightened inspection procedures for the type of engine on that aircraft, saying it was prone to a rare type of stall. The FAA's directive warned that such compressor stalls - a disruption of airflow into the engine causing an abrupt shutdown and violent shuddering of the plane - were "likely to exist or develop on" the CFM56-5B engine series, two of which powered Flight 1549.

Federal investigators said they were probing a Jan. 13 mid-flight engine stall on Sully's Airbus A320 just two days before it crash-landed alongside Manhattan on Thursday 15 January 2009. The crew corrected the Jan. 13 problem in the air and safely completed its journey from LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte.

-----------------------------------------------

When Flight 1549 took off on Jan 15, both engines shut off simultaneously in only 1.5 minutes, while passengers also noticed flames shooting from the engines. Again, this was the exact same plane, with the exact same tail number, taking off from the exact same airport, on the exact same route that had experienced near emergency compressor problems only two days earlier.

Too coincidental? Did this fated airplane simply hit a flock of geese, or is there more to be revealed? Is Capt. Sullenberger's silence a clue that he doesn't want to implicity partake in a cover-up? Alison Camastra, who was a passenger on the Jan. 13 flight, later voiced her suspicions to CNN, "It's concerning to me. As bad as the noises were and the shaking was on the plane that we were on, that they were still flying that plane two days later definitely concerns me."

Senior NTSB investigator Robert Benzon informed Associated Press sources that "the probe into the crash landing will take a year."

Default Re: FAA: Airbus 320 Engines Dangerous

The engines from US Airways Flight 1549 were sent to the manufacturer in Cincinnati, Ohio, where the NTSB directed the analysis, it said in a news release.

The plane's flight data recorder "revealed no anomalies or malfunctions in either engine up to the point where the captain reported a bird strike, after which there was an uncommanded loss of thrust in both engines," the NTSB said.

The NTSB also said that an "engine surge event" in the right engine on January 13, two days before the accident, was caused by a faulty temperature sensor, which had been replaced.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ctdon1952 View Post
    The NTSB also said that an "engine surge event" in the right engine on January 13, two days before the accident, was caused by a faulty temperature sensor, which had been replaced.
    Rick Kennedy, a spokesman for G.E. Aviation, which co-owns engine manufacturer CFM International, said 12 of the more than 3,000 CFM56-5B series engines had running temperatures above the threshold. All of them were older, like those on Flight 1549, and some were no longer in service.
    -------------------------------------------

I guess if the jet engine's compressor temperature readings get too high just before the engines die, the first thing to do is replace the temperature sensors.

That would be the same as having the temperature gauge on my car pegging above the high mark just before steam boils out of the radiator and the engine dieing. And to add to the situation, I have been getting notices from both the Highway Saftety Board and the automaker that I may have internal problems with my engine that would cause overheating and engine death. Would my first step be to replace the water temperature sensor to make sure it is functioning properly before I begin throwing money at the real problem? If that's the case, then what US Airways did to correct the "problem" on Sully's Airbus 320 makes perfect sense to me........ That is, if I am the one on the ground and not in the air.

-------------------------------------------

The compressor temp had nothing to do with this incident. It was a bird strike to both engines. Having worked in the field for 20 years before having to leave due to 9/11, I have worked with aircraft with all types of engines. All engines ( Pratt Whitteny, Royals Royce, GE) have or had problems. The GE CFM-56 engines used on Airbus aircraft were first used on the Boeing 737-300's. No problems. As the engines evolved and new impovements were made, a few problems came up and were fixed. Just like a car on the street, airplanes break. Luckly on the ground. If you look at all the records, you will find that commerical aircraft just don't fall out of the sky because of engine failures. There is always something that causes the failure such as in this case, bird strikes. I saw a MD-80 engine take a hit from blue ice ( do do build up on the side of the plane from leaks and frozen) in the #1 engine and still make a successful landing in florida. I have saw alot of stuff on the ground that scares me a hell of alot worst than anything I experienced in the sky. And no I was not a Pilot. On a good note, the geese now have to have a flight plan when operating around airports.

Smile Re: FAA: Airbus 320 Engines Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Two weeks before US Airways Flight 1549 ditched into the Hudson River, the Federal Aviation Administration ordered heightened inspection procedures for the type of engine on that aircraft, saying it was prone to a rare type of stall. The FAA's directive warned that such compressor stalls - a disruption of airflow into the engine causing an abrupt shutdown and violent shuddering of the plane - were "likely to exist or develop on" the CFM56-5B engine series, two of which powered Flight 1549.

Federal investigators said they were probing a Jan. 13 mid-flight engine stall on Sully's Airbus A320 just two days before it crash-landed alongside Manhattan on Thursday 15 January 2009. The crew corrected the Jan. 13 problem in the air and safely completed its journey from LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte.

When Flight 1549 took off on Jan 15, both engines shut off simultaneously in only 1.5 minutes, while passengers also noticed flames shooting from the engines. Again, this was the exact same plane, with the exact same tail number, taking off from the exact same airport, on the exact same route that had experienced near emergency compressor problems only two days earlier.

Too coincidental? Did this fated airplane simply hit a flock of geese, or is there more to be revealed? Is Capt. Sullenberger's silence a clue that he doesn't want to implicity partake in a cover-up? Alison Camastra, who was a passenger on the Jan. 13 flight, later voiced her suspicions to CNN, "It's concerning to me. As bad as the noises were and the shaking was on the plane that we were on, that they were still flying that plane two days later definitely concerns me."

Senior NTSB investigator Robert Benzon informed Associated Press sources that "the probe into the crash landing will take a year."

What's with the cut and paste links on this site? Can you speak for yourself and about the subject matter? If I wanted to see the news, I'd go to CNN.com

It annoys me when someone on a forum put's a link and says: "READ THIS".
    and can you make your comments short? They take up the whole page on my screen. I don't want to read so much. But don't make them too short like USIC1

Thanks!

Damn Al-Queda geese!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sagedog View Post
    Damn Al-Queda geese!
    Oh now THAT'S really offensive!

Everyone knows it was the Canadian Airforce A.K.A. CANADIAN geese on a kamikazee mission that brought this airplane down!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What's with the cut and paste links on this site? Can you speak for yourself and about the subject matter? If I wanted to see the news, I'd go to CNN.com

and can you make your comments short? They take up the whole page on my screen. I don't want to read so much. But don't make them too short like USIC1

Thanks!
    Yeah Wing! Shame on you!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

Thanks!

...did I seriously read that right?...This aint Burger King lady!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

RD, don't bring that creepy image into the conversation! Does he, the Burger King, give anyone else the creeps?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    RD, don't bring that creepy image into the conversation! Does he, the Burger King, give anyone else the creeps?
    lol, sorry spray. Actually it was always the Hamburgler from McD's that gave me the heebie-jeebies. THAT little guy was creeeeepy.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post

...did I seriously read that right?...This aint Burger King lady!
    LMFAO RD.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Yep that look on his face just....gives me da creeps!!!