Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 2 Post By orangeboots
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: Extra Cash... What do you do for extra cash.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Extra Cash... What do you do for extra cash.

I'm betting most of you out there are living a decent life and are able to pay your bills with little problem. But you still wish you had a few extra bucks more left over than you do.

I'm curious if any of y'all do anything to make extra money on the side. I'm always on the lookout for ways to make extra money.

I have, for a very long time, gone to auctions and bought and resold items out of my garage and on eBay. (nothing illegal) and I do okay now and then. It won't allow me to retire early but it does put some extra cash in my pocket. An example: I went to a yard sale a month or so ago and bought an old (1960's-1970's) Sony car stereo for $1. Just for the heck of it I put it up on eBay for $169. It sold 2 weeks later for full price.

Sony Car Stereo

I also do online auctions as well. You can get some great deals and make a fast buck turning this stuff around.

Let us know what you do for extra cash.

Please, no sales pitches.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Extra Cash... What do you do for extra cash.

Selling company equipment is a given. I know of one guy who put a little of the gas for the company vehicle into the spare gas can then transferred it to his personal vehicle. He said he slowly increased the amount until it appeared the company vehicle had just gotten lower millage as it aged.

Were you only looking for ways to make money that are legal?
    UULC, yahoo and TheCableVine like this.

Years of Experience

up to just recently , I did not do anything extra for more money. But , now I am have been doing some extra labor work around a farm for my uncle D . Instead of him paying me cash for my services , I trade my labor for him paying for stuff for me that I need . He runs a mechanic shop etc and get my cars worked on for free. Most of my other free time goes to volunteer work in my community and reading .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Pro I just kiss my wife's ass. easier that a part time job!
    UULC and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Selling company equipment is a given. I know of one guy who put a little of the gas for the company vehicle into the spare gas can then transferred it to his personal vehicle. He said he slowly increased the amount until it appeared the company vehicle had just gotten lower millage as it aged.

Were you only looking for ways to make money that are legal?
    there was actually a guy selling. it was the winter and he was giving people a discount and putting it on the fleet gas card.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

A couple year ago I got into a bad funk over a girl. i know stupid. winter came and I had way to much time on my hands and was thinking to much. so i took an online courses to finish a very old degree. I also started to do Uber & lyft. Kept me busy but I like it. During the winter months i do it to offset lower hours of work.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    there was actually a guy selling. it was the winter and he was giving people a discount and putting it on the fleet gas card.
    Anybody thinking of trying this don't. In many companies the gas card receipts are loaded into a database and automatic reports are generated. One report is MPG for the vehicle and if you drop from 20MPG to 10MPG the vehicle is taken into the garage to be checked for trouble and when they don't find a problem you have a problem. If you pump 20 gallons of gas and your vehicle has a 15 gallon fuel tank you get red tagged and you have a problem. If card shows gas paid for and your vehicle runs on diesel you have a problem.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Anybody thinking of trying this don't. In many companies the gas card receipts are loaded into a database and automatic reports are generated. One report is MPG for the vehicle and if you drop from 20MPG to 10MPG the vehicle is taken into the garage to be checked for trouble and when they don't find a problem you have a problem. If you pump 20 gallons of gas and your vehicle has a 15 gallon fuel tank you get red tagged and you have a problem. If card shows gas paid for and your vehicle runs on diesel you have a problem.
    Its not the 90s anymore. Every trick unscrupulous locators have pulled on them over the years has been patched up. You cant even depend on the mental laziness of your Sup. Algorithms spot irregularities now.
    When you hit a speed bump too fast, remember to scratch your nose politely with your middle finger if you have dash cams. That's one thing they cant take. Yet.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

I have seen a lot of different things that locators have tried to get away with thru the years .....the crazy thing is that some of those that got fired for some really illegal stuff are still working as locators to this day . well I guess you live and hopefully you learn..
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I have seen a lot of different things that locators have tried to get away with thru the years .....the crazy thing is that some of those that got fired for some really illegal stuff are still working as locators to this day . well I guess you live and hopefully you learn..
    The attrition rate for locators is very high. I have seen people good at it to leave shortly after starting because it is just not or them. Others are such screw ups that they have to be let go. So when an experienced locator applies they take a chance and hire them. Most of these, but not all, keep moving from company to company after being fired do not change for the better.