Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESCM- A Company You Don't Want To Work For

Default ESCM- A Company You Don't Want To Work For

Well, I finally had it. Yesterday, I received a email from my supervisor stating any Auto Accidents that are determined by them to be your fault, will result in a 10 day suspension, thats up from the 3 day it was previously. That, along with, substandard pay to its employees, health insurance for families that now costs $1000 per month, no I'm not kidding, it's really that high, and the insurance only covers 80%, no matching funds to your 401K. I have been in the industry for a long time and worked for different companies and this is the , by far , worst company I have worked for. It is a small company who does small things, especially by it's employees.The supervisors are encouraged to constantly write up the locators, so I believe, if they have enough write-ups on someone, they can get rid of them and hopefully don't get sued. Please, please stay clear of this company if you are looking for a job in the future. you can"t say you weren't warned.

PS. At the time of this posting, the Verizon contract in NJ hasn't been renewed to this company and the contract is up today. If anyone knows anything, let me know. Myself and my fellow locators are hoping that someone else will get this contract and we will take our chances with another company, hell it can't get any worse.

Years of Experience

Default Re: ESCM- A Company You Don't Want To Work For

not to mention they took out all of the overtime with the stupid new oncall... at this point i wouldent mind them losing the contract at least then i know i can make some money on unemployment lol
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The job posting section http://locatorjobs.com show Premier is hiring for Central New Jersey, PSoting went up December 4 with a submission deadline of Jan 15th.

Years of Experience

premier has water contracts in central nj

Yeah, well both of them SUCK!!!! Go into Private Locating! Better money, better work environment and better quality of life!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    premier has water contracts in central nj
    Yes, but are they hiring because they picked up an additional new contract?

Somebody picked up that contract that ran out. Sometimes the contract runs out and the incumbent locating company keeps working under the old terms like month to month. This is while the utility company continues to renegotiate the existing contract or with negotiate with a new firm.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Yeah, well both of them SUCK!!!! Go into Private Locating! Better money, better work environment and better quality of life!!!!
    There are far fewer opening in private locating so the opportunity is small. In this current economy you have to take what you can get. If you think about when times were better a most all locators had to take what they could get.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daMan View Post
    Well, I finally had it. Yesterday, I received a email from my supervisor stating any Auto Accidents that are determined by them to be your fault, will result in a 10 day suspension, thats up from the 3 day it was previously. <SNIP> .
    How about this.

For any at fault motor vehicle accident the employee gets an immediate reduction in pay, something like 5% or maybe 10%.

The employee must take an approved safe drive course on their own time and at their own expense.

The company gas credit card is turned off until the safe driver course is completed with a passing grade. All gas for the company truck and use must be paid for by the employee. (Not legal I have little doubt of but if you did not put gas in the truck you were not working so no pay at all)

After a period of time, I think 3 months, corporate "allows" your pay to be restored to the pre cut rate. But the fine print says the Office Manager can keep the pay cut in place indefinitely.

Plus the accident goes onto you review so when your next pay rate adjustment comes along you get dinged again.

A guy actually showed me the company paper work on that accident policy.

When accident rates increase it is due to poor attitudes and driving habits. Adding greater punishments does not address the real issue that is causing the greater number of accidents.

Running a driver training and safety course for the office will have better results.

Also some punishment system does need to be in place but without a reward system it is often contrary to overall office morale and performance,

The rewards can vary but I have a few ideas. Since the insurance companies pull driving records to determine rates, and most firms require you have no more than X number of points on your record, reward every year for a clean driving record.

The rewards do not have to even cost the company much if at all. For example if two years clean record you get to be relieved of oncall on the holiday of your choice. Three to five years you get an extra day off with pay in the off season months. Tehre are a number of little things that mean much to a locator.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    How about this.

For any at fault motor vehicle accident the employee gets an immediate reduction in pay, something like 5% or maybe 10%.

The employee must take an approved safe drive course on their own time and at their own expense.

The company gas credit card is turned off until the safe driver course is completed with a passing grade. All gas for the company truck and use must be paid for by the employee. (Not legal I have little doubt of but if you did not put gas in the truck you were not working so no pay at all)

After a period of time, I think 3 months, corporate "allows" your pay to be restored to the pre cut rate. But the fine print says the Office Manager can keep the pay cut in place indefinitely.

Plus the accident goes onto you review so when your next pay rate adjustment comes along you get dinged again.

A guy actually showed me the company paper work on that accident policy.

When accident rates increase it is due to poor attitudes and driving habits. Adding greater punishments does not address the real issue that is causing the greater number of accidents.

Running a driver training and safety course for the office will have better results.

Also some punishment system does need to be in place but without a reward system it is often contrary to overall office morale and performance,

The rewards can vary but I have a few ideas. Since the insurance companies pull driving records to determine rates, and most firms require you have no more than X number of points on your record, reward every year for a clean driving record.

The rewards do not have to even cost the company much if at all. For example if two years clean record you get to be relieved of oncall on the holiday of your choice. Three to five years you get an extra day off with pay in the off season months. Tehre are a number of little things that mean much to a locator.

that would probably make people quit

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

AUL, you definately get more pay, better equipment, and you don't get shat upon as much, but private locating takes a different breed. And to top that off, usually the private locating companies are the ones who have you sign non-disclosure agreement. Some may be scared off from that.

As for Monkeing with a locators pay, may it be with a suspension, or a pay reduction.... thats the moment where you actively take a part in changing the course of your employment.

mke

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    There are far fewer opening in private locating so the opportunity is small. In this current economy you have to take what you can get. If you think about when times were better a most all locators had to take what they could get.
    You are ABSOLTELY right there Pro Locator. Opportunities are few and far between. Ask yourself why?

Why are there ALOT less Private Locate Companies hiring as oposed to the 'Big' Boys? Turnover? Work Environment? Management?

Taking what you can get leaves you open to enduring bullshit and nonsense just to keep a check coming in. Taking what you WANT on the other hand opens many more doors and leads to better job skills to become MORE employable at a higher salary and better position overall.

I've said this before. If one isn't willing to do what it takes (moving, traveling etc.) then that person will always be STUCK at their present station in life.

One problem with this business is though, you have to work for a company to realize they suck and when you do have that apiphany it's usually after you have turned down other offers.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm with AUL, gor Private or SUE. You won't regret it.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Last edited by sling'n paint; March 5th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Keep crying then, no problem.....

A perfect example of why some of you get pissed on so badly and take it......you aren't willing to work a little harder to make your situation better. Keep bitching and whining, those of us who don't get pissed on will keep laughing at you.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

First thing is first....... Main goal in life is to get the most ammount of money with the least ammount of work.

And being a self admited lazy guy, i'm all for that. However, you have to work to get to the promise land.

As for not wanting to get dirty? your either in the wrong field, or doing something wrong. Even when I was doing public locates, I was always getting my hands dirty. I have numerous scars on my legs from Blackberry bushes and other brambles. I been up to my knee's in mud. For all the Locates that suck, there are the ones that kick ass. I've been in the middle of a runway on a nice 80degree night, locating with not another soul in sight. I have had the opportunity to fly to alaska do preform a 30 min locate.

I've done utility locates in the local zoo, amusement park, and military bases. Some were dificult most were still cool as hell.

Work harder? sometimes. Work Smarter? all the time.

mke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast