Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Equipment

Years of Experience

Default Re: Equipment

Back to Training for you, 8 is in the Auditory bandwidth.

Years of Experience

subsite 95t and 75 R
    Tom Edward likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Vivax VLoc Pro! One of the reasons it's a bit heavier is because of the rechargeable battery. I leave the AA's inside the compartment but unhooked so when the internal battery goes dead and I'm a mile away from the truck I can hook them up and continue on til I get her charged back up. About a year and a half and no troubles other than lead ends(knock on wood). I will never go back to RD if it's up to me!
    downtownlocater likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
    Vivax VLoc Pro! One of the reasons it's a bit heavier is because of the rechargeable battery. I leave the AA's inside the compartment but unhooked so when the internal battery goes dead and I'm a mile away from the truck I can hook them up and continue on til I get her charged back up. About a year and a half and no troubles other than lead ends(knock on wood). I will never go back to RD if it's up to me!
    That model has an ems marker finder that adds a lot to that weight. 6.6 pounds for that model. A lot lighter without the ems finder. But that ems capability is a real necessity. Without it you have to have another piece of equipment. Plus it saves running back and forth to the truck to swap equipment.
    downtownlocater likes this.

Years of Experience

I've used a Vivax VLoc Pro for the last 4+ years and love it. Nothing wrong with the RD's and subsite's, just not my preference. My favorite will always be the metrotech 810.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC82 View Post
    Question. I have a RD8000 and notice that sometimes the coupler gives off a high pitch whine.mostly while running 8 high. Now I know we're talking about frequencies and was wondering whats the deal with it and what causes it.
    I've been getting into radio frequencies and think of going back to school to be a engineer in RF.
    sometime I have to stop and think of the technology we take for granted from day to day. It just amazes me
    I even coupled my arm just to see if it did anything. Lol I get bored sometimes.
    The RD clamp will give off a high pitch whine on 8khz because it's so high that you're actually hearing the frequency. I'm not sure about the US but in Australia 8khz isn't very effective with the induction clamp and 33khz is usually the first port of call for the clamp.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    subsite 95t and 75 R
    thats the combo my boss uses. I dont remember if the 75 R has all the frequencies the 95 T has though. I just use the 95T/R. Gives me all ranges from 512 to 80 so i dont see why i would need anything else.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edward View Post
    thats the combo my boss uses. I dont remember if the 75 R has all the frequencies the 95 T has though. I just use the 95T/R. Gives me all ranges from 512 to 80 so i dont see why i would need anything else.
    The new Utiliguard has all the old subsite freq's plus the competitors too (ie R.D.) a total of 70. You can also design your own and upload them through their software, it's really mint. So the new Utiliguard basically can work with almost any other locators, like mix matching the R/T's.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jabajo View Post
    The new Utiliguard has all the old subsite freq's plus the competitors too (ie R.D.) a total of 70. You can also design your own and upload them through their software, it's really mint. So the new Utiliguard basically can work with almost any other locators, like mix matching the R/T's.
    Sounds nice. The nice thing about the 75's is you can pick them up cheap. like 700 for a R/T. How much does a new utiliguard run?

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edward View Post
    Sounds nice. The nice thing about the 75's is you can pick them up cheap. like 700 for a R/T. How much does a new utiliguard run?
    Mine is the +5 with all the options. $6559 after tax. If you ever have the chance to demo one you should try it! You'll be amazed.

Years of Experience

Anyone ever use the old Schonstedt mac 51bx? Thoughts? Also the Heath sure lock all pro?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nslva View Post
    Anyone ever use the old Schonstedt mac 51bx? Thoughts? Also the Heath sure lock all pro?
    The Schonstedt's are mediocre, most other machines we've tested were much easier to use and more accurate. Their sales staff was sorely lacking in knowledge of locating.

Sure-Lock was an ok machine, great concept that needs updating. Didn't do anything that our current equipment couldn't do better. Heath isn't planning on updating anytime soon, per their staff, they are focused mainly on their leak detection.

I am bias to the 810 also, however other then then having to keep fish bags over them to protect them from rain, the 810 really cant locate nearly as deep as the RD's either. 810 first option for me, RD for isolating, purposely causing more capacitance(bleed-off), or for deep lines. I go back and forth between which one I truly like the most....810 for quick and ease all day though.

I've used the vivax vLocML2 receiver with the ems the last year and I love it. The battery last me two months on one charge. yea its a little on the heavy side but I don't care. the only problem I have had is the screen on the receiver and transmitter the heat hear in az cooks the screen's I had a black dot would grow bigger when it got hotter on my receiver and on the transmitter the screen would fade. other techs have had problems with the receivers antennas stop working both only a few did that. other then that I would highly recommend the vivax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12