Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: EMI and Cast Iron Sewer

Years of Experience

Default EMI and Cast Iron Sewer

I recently went out to locate a residential sewer line. The sewer went out under the basement slab to the small backyard downstream. Typically, I like to knock these out using my locateable-rodder, and transmitter set 8K (b/c of small yard surrounded by chain-link fences). However, the basement had clutter and junk in the way - also, the c/o cap was rusted shut - no access for rodder. Recalling my metrotech manual, I tried to use a magnet to induce current onto the 6" iron pipe. I used 50-ft extension cable to put nice ground outside with a ground rod driven 1.5-ft deep (the ground was wet from rain). Still, no signal, and I tried 8K to 200K.

Anyone know any tricks to working with cast?
    Any luck using a magnet - the example in metro-tech manual suggests using magnet to induce signal on street lamps...?
    Any luck using ring-clamps in this situation?

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: EMI and Cast Iron Sewer

Quote Originally Posted by WNC Utility Locator View Post
    I recently went out to locate a residential sewer line. The sewer went out under the basement slab to the small backyard downstream. Typically, I like to knock these out using my locateable-rodder, and transmitter set 8K (b/c of small yard surrounded by chain-link fences). However, the basement had clutter and junk in the way - also, the c/o cap was rusted shut - no access for rodder. Recalling my metrotech manual, I tried to use a magnet to induce current onto the 6" iron pipe. I used 50-ft extension cable to put nice ground outside with a ground rod driven 1.5-ft deep (the ground was wet from rain). Still, no signal, and I tried 8K to 200K.

Anyone know any tricks to working with cast?
    Any luck using a magnet - the example in metro-tech manual suggests using magnet to induce signal on street lamps...?
    Any luck using ring-clamps in this situation?
    Cast is tough with 8k better to use 512hz with a small sonde on a duct rodder if you don't have a sewer camera to use. No Cleanout access then pull a toilet or use the roof vent or a small diamond grinder to cut the old cleanout cap off.

Years of Experience

cast iron is difficult for everyone . You will have to try a lot of different tricks to end up seeing what best works for you. It appears that Cuda is giving you a good idea . prolly start with that . I have used magnets thru the years with some success but sometimes NOT .
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Sometimes a simple metal dtector works. Cast iron lights them up. Ive done it and was there for the dig to confirm. Just dont tell my supe.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    cast iron is difficult for everyone . You will have to try a lot of different tricks to end up seeing what best works for you. It appears that Cuda is giving you a good idea . prolly start with that . I have used magnets thru the years with some success but sometimes NOT .
    I find metal pipes almost all carry 60HZ picked up thru the ground. A sweep at 60HZ, backed up by witching rods, can trace such pipe from one known point to another. After that I induce starting at some known point like a valve the indications led me to.
    clips68 likes this.

Years of Experience

None.
    Last edited by clips68; September 13th, 2018 at 10:36 PM.