Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The economy

Years of Experience

Default The economy

G’Day all,

I am just curious to know how the current economic situation over there is impacting on the daily lives of “grass roots America”.

We all hear the “doom and gloom” portrayed by the media, but often that is not the actual situation. Are certain States or employment sectors performing better than others? What about in our industry – what has the effect been to date?

Are there any indicators of improvement on the horizon or is “batten down the hatches” for a while yet?

Cheers from Oz.
    Jeff Moore
    Underground service locating
    www.provac.net.au

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The economy

Personally, my ticket load has dropped. Fences and sprinkler systems seem to have been put on the back burner. I heard a few fencing companies have closed shop in the area. The only work I'm really doing is locates for public utility based jobs and commercial construction. As for the economy as a whole, yes, it is down. I did hear on the news today that home buying is back on the rise but who knows how long that will last.

Years of Experience

I was going to bring this up with a similar question. Ticket load tanks in the winter but we are at that time again when it is time to hire for some vacant spots. I have received an assload of resumes and there are a large majority that have at least a Bachelors if not a Masters looking for a job. Even had someone with a PhD. Is it that bad out there that people are trying to grab anything that comes by for employment? I am just thankful that I am still working. I have received about 300 resumes in one week and the brain and eyes are about to melt going through them all. I was curious if others are seeing the same. Don't know if this is an actual threadjack but it is kind of on topic.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

The ticket load has been down in my area so far this winter. I don't know if this is from the economy or the weather. 'We have had our coldest and snowest winter in a long time. I still think it will be unbelievably busy this coming dig season. All the utility work,road work, and DPW work will not slow down because of the economy. And lets not forget the planting garden tickets.

We are actually busier this year than last - I know this as I can compare last year's hours to this year's. New housing starts are way down but with the Verizon FIOS projects and gas meter repairs continuing we are still hiring and working weekends.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    na

If I m not slammed I would nt know what to do with myself...

Why settle being a conservative locator??? its so much more rewarding staying busy, taking on bigger agendaS, stepping up to the plate, being a leader and not a follower!!!!!!!!

This is what is missing in our economy- hussle and accountability...

Smell Bullshit???

Years of Experience

things are well here in our state.......unemployment is up just a little than last year but as a whole state we are not hurting...as far as infrastructure and utilities here in this state.........very good my ticket loads are way up compared to the last few years
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    If I m not slammed I would nt know what to do with myself...

Why settle being a conservative locator??? its so much more rewarding staying busy, taking on bigger agendaS, stepping up to the plate, being a leader and not a follower!!!!!!!!

This is what is missing in our economy- hussle and accountability...

Have never stepped into the fray before but I don't think that this thread had anything to do with being a "conservative locator". Reading most of your posts I actually shit my pants when I saw you bring out the word conservative. Yea I really dont contribute that much and it really isnt worth shit but I choose to stay out of all the wrangling and flame wars that happen here. That being said, it is a fun forum to check in on each day. I do not see hussle and accountability missing from our economy. All my employees bust their ass and the people that I have interviewed and hired this year are eager and willing to keep their family afloat. As far as accountability goes, how about the billions that are going to bail out large corporations with the execs still getting their huge bonuses? Doesn't make sense........much like your post.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Have never stepped into the fray before but I don't think that this thread had anything to do with being a "conservative locator". Reading most of your posts I actually shit my pants when I saw you bring out the word conservative. Yea I really dont contribute that much and it really isnt worth shit but I choose to stay out of all the wrangling and flame wars that happen here. That being said, it is a fun forum to check in on each day. I do not see hussle and accountability missing from our economy. All my employees bust their ass and the people that I have interviewed and hired this year are eager and willing to keep their family afloat. As far as accountability goes, how about the billions that are going to bail out large corporations with the execs still getting their huge bonuses? Doesn't make sense........much like your post.
    Hey dont bust your countrys leaderships chops...

Look at there concessions under the circumstances...

Its kind of like most like to run there operations...

" Do as I say Not as I do"

Maybe that had little relevance either??? Maybe it it homes with you???

Oh it was nice to motivate you to get you more involved on the site...

Does anyone watch 'Mad Money' with Jim Kramer? I hope some do.

He just said tonight that China is investing 40 BILLION in it's telecommunications infrastructure ALONE!!!!!

What did Pelosi and the rest of the tards offer us? 30 BILLION FOR EVERYTHING!!!!

I don't care who you are or what your politics may be on this but if you can't see that there is something EXTREMELY WRONG with Washington D.C. then you need to be beaten to death.

AND DON'T BLAME BUSH!!!! (for some of those out there who would 35 years from now)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Hey dont bust your countrys leaderships chops...

Look at there concessions under the circumstances...

Its kind of like most like to run there operations...

" Do as I say Not as I do"

Maybe that had little relevance either??? Maybe it it homes with you???

Oh it was nice to motivate you to get you more involved on the site...

WTF???????????? I think that I would have an easier time getting laid by a nun than trying to figure out what you just said. "Maybe it it homes with you???" Dude, my 6yo daughter can make her point clearer than you. As far as motivating me to get more involved on the site, I am sitting on the couch waiting for my vacation in the mountains to start tomorrow hoping I could get your thong in a bunch. I had nothing better to do tonight.

That's why he is on the ignore list!!!!

Years of Experience

Gas Man - Good to hear from you again!

We had a surge of residential construction for 9+ years. New $600,000 Australian Dollar (AUD) houses went from stakes on the lot to turn key in less than 90 days! The banks were encouraged by mindless bureaucrats to loosen credit restrictions for home buyers who would not normally be qualified on loans for such a new large house. The buyers of these homes realistically should have been buying houses at half that price.

The illegal aliens from Mexico did most of the construction labor on the residential home foundations, framing, sheet rocking, roofing, painting, carpet laying, brick laying, sidewalks, driveways, lawn sprinklers and sod laying. Unscrupulous builders exploited these hard working aliens by paying minimal wages with cash (no taxes taken). Tax paying American citizens did the skilled labor work required for the utility hookups, interior electrical wiring, plumbing, heating and air conditioning.

2 years ago all residential house building in USA stopped. After the housing boom stopped, the illegals disappeared. I think they went back to Mexico but I don't know that as fact.

Commercial building is continuing which requires skilled American union workers as a rule. This commercial construction is geared for the service sector of business in America, which is the only thing left. There probably is some assembly work being done in the States (putting high tech, imported pieces together to make durable goods), but very little manufacturing is done in America today. Thanks to our dumb ass "bought & paid for" bureaucrats in Washington DC, trade treaties have moved most of the product manufacturing that was once done in America off shore to China. Certainly, there have been no new factories built in America in the past 15 years.

99.9% of the American people are clueless to the perilless destruction coming when the International private bankers force the the collapse of the US dollar in the very near future. None are prepared. The ripple effect will be worldwide. May God help us all.

-----------------------------------------------

Well, the recession started here about 3 years ago. Ticket volume is down about 50% from 3 years ago. Unemployment is well above 10%. Southeast Michigan (Detroit area) is at about 25% unemployment. Foreclosures have increased 4 fold since 2005. Overall, it friggin' blows!!!!
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast