Thread: Earthquake

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Earthquake

What type of emergencies did you encounter after the earthquake?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Earthquake

none in nj
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm sure tomorrow and the days to follow you will have a few emergencies and priorities once they figure out what needs to be done.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Depends on the size of quake and type of soil. The recent one in VA you might see a popped water line or gas line. I know when I was in CA in 89 (no, I wasn't locating) we had a crap load of old water mains seperate, the Gas lines actually held up pretty well. Later in the winter we had a couple of sinkholes emerge from the storm and sanitary lines. The Phone lines went down, but I don't think it was due to the quake, I think it had more to do with everyone being without power for 3 days.

Mke

Years of Experience

and i figured there would be madness in the utility world
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    30+

I am surprised there was not a lot of emergencies or could it be it was not strong enough quake?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I am surprised there was not a lot of emergencies or could it be it was not strong enough quake?
    Years back there was a small quake in Columbia, Maryland. It was barely felt other places and caused no immediate problems. Starting several days after the quake and lasting about three weeks there was a large number of burst water mains. This was Summer and we got broken mains like during a very cold spell in Winter.

Water and gas pipes, the metal ones, are stressed by such earth movements. This forms weak spots where small cracks are made and where joints have been flexed loose. These lines are under pressure and in time the gas or water pressure causes the point weakened by a quake to blow out.

I was in Northern Virginia about 20 miles West of DC and the truck bounced so much I thought the engine was giving trouble as the yellow lights in the dash also came on. I turned the engine off,
    I had pulled up to a job and was reading prints, and it shook just as much and there was a strange sound from outside. I thought I was parked over a water main that had burst and pulled away before the truck fell through the asphalt. Still the truck shook a bit and I was too far away for it to be a water main. I thought something major had happened, a quake being one thing. I called some coworkers from 5 and more miles away and could tell it was regional. That wide an area meant it had to be a quake.

I was in an apartment complex and the people were coming out and reporting broken water pipes through out the complex.

Soon after there was so much phone traffic the phone system all but collapsed and was nearly useless for about half an hour. Had this been a hard quake or other major disaster we would not have gotten our phones back anytime soon.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    none in nj
    Hey little buddy - Brace yourself - The BIG one is coming!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurricane Irene Could Be Storm of The Century

Irene Destroys Bahamas & Poses ‘Serious Threat’ To NJ, NYC

Irene, now Category 3, takes aim at New York area - Could become Category 4 by Thursday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurricane Irene Becomes Major Hurricane With Eye Visible From Space

Bahama Island settlements have been devastated with the islands suffering severe damages as 7 to 11 feet storm surges from Irene hammer the island paradise.

Irene has the potential to cause 100′s of billions of dollars of damage as it travels up the East Coast.

Years of Experience
    30+

So I have heard there was an aftershock. My brother lives in California and said this was just a small quake. I would hate to see what a major quake would do in damage.

Years of Experience

Robert Valderzak of Washington DC REGAINS hearing after earthquake!

Robert Valderzak, of Washington, D.C., regained his hearing after the 5.8-magnitude Virginia earthquake that rattled the East Coast of the United States. You read that right – the earthquake cured a deaf man!