Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Drug tests with prescriptions

Years of Experience

Default Drug tests with prescriptions

Good morning!

So, I was recently prescribed Ritalin for my ADHD and am, like most of us, subject to randoms. In fact, I've had two in the last 12 months.

Anyways... Does anyone know or have experience about being on prescriptions such as adhd meds that could interfere with the test?
    Do I let my company know? Do I only tell them of it if/when I get tested next?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Drug tests with prescriptions

They will check with you if there is any questions. Most of the time they ignore prescription meds that aren't opioids.

Years of Experience

Most of the time? :/

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

If anybody questions your ability to work while being under medication for ADHD invoke the Americans with Disabilities Act. I think you are covered by this and it would only be an issue if you documented poor job performance as a result of the disorder. To my memory this is not a drug they test for.
    The notification procedures are often not followed at least for DOT required tests that are required for all that locate gas.
    Only one person per office is authorized to receive test results and another person can receive it only if the authorized person is not available. The authorized person can only reveal the results to the employee who got tested. The tested employee has the opportunity to dispute the results and be retested or to have the secondary sample tested, it is common to split your sample into a test sample and a reserve sample. The authorized person who receives your result can tell no one but you until the appeal is completed.
    Just because you have a prescription for codeine cough syrup do not think you can just take this drugs. I do know that the prescription codeine has a different signature that the drug test will show and your being prescribed codeine will not protect you.

Years of Experience

you have nothing to worry about . drug tests that are random are given for one reason only to comply with DOTD rules and to make for sure you are not doing the (bad) stuff . if you know the meds you are on affects your work or driving you need to find something else to take to help you.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

It doesn't affect my driving or is any sort of opioid (which I know I cannot be on unless on medical leave). My concern is that Ritalin is a type of amphetamine and I'm not sure if that is the same thing that would pop for positive. Just curious if anyone who has taken similar prescriptions have had issues when it comes to dot tests or anything. Or if I need to bring it up when I get randomed.

Years of Experience

they always ask you if you are on any meds . at that time, you can tell them what you are taking . you will be fine.
    Censored likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The cough syrup with codeine I was referring to I now remember was morphine. That's what happens to memory when you get old. Now, where did I park my truck?
    Censored and yahoo like this.