Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawings?

Default Re: Drawings?

If you don't have pictures, you might as well call it a damage. There is no other way to prove it was marked before it was damaged.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    If you don't have pictures, you might as well call it a damage. There is no other way to prove it was marked before it was damaged.
    Hey there Beyond:

As usual, I certainly cannot argue with your logic. We do seem to eat a lot of hits I don't think we should.

Question though, everyone here gets hung up on the utilities exact location. When you take pictures, is this something you concern yourself with? If so, how do you accomplish the measurement proof in the photo?

If not, how do you establish exact location of a utility from the photos when in a court of law?

How do you log photos and where do you store the CD's (at the office). How do you know which CD a particular locate is on...do you have some kind of sequencing or numbering method?
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Hey there Beyond:

As usual, I certainly cannot argue with your logic. We do seem to eat a lot of hits I don't think we should.

Question though, everyone here gets hung up on the utilities exact location. When you take pictures, is this something you concern yourself with? If so, how do you accomplish the measurement proof in the photo?

If not, how do you establish exact location of a utility from the photos when in a court of law?

How do you log photos and where do you store the CD's (at the office). How do you know which CD a particular locate is on...do you have some kind of sequencing or numbering method?
    There is not much of a way to show measurements in a photo, but to show that it was close in a lot of cases will suffice. Taking the damage pics while the utility is exposed is huge. You can hook up and compare what you are locating post damage to where the remaining marks are (if still there). Or you can compare your pre dig pics to the pics after the damage. In most cases, the latter will almost always be good in a court of law (as long as there is some kind of distinguishable landmark). SM&P went to a system that automatically download the pics to each individual ticket, and if there is a damage, it will attach the damage pics to those as well (OF COURSE, WHEN IT DECIDES TO WORK). This has made it a hell of a lot better than it used to be. Still have quite a few bugs to work out though
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Last edited by 2RUDE; June 21st, 2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: .

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Holy ****! Doesn't 20-30 pics of a single lot seem a bit excessive? So you're more of a photgrapher than a utility locator by the sounds of it?
    Where we work if we don't have a picture of the spot of the damage we pay for it. I make sure I have a picture of every line I mark. We have pretty good digital cameras so it takes no time at all to take the pictures.

Years of Experience

we have to draw a sketch per our contract....this is stupid to me when we produce pics of the locate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Where we work if we don't have a picture of the spot of the damage we pay for it. I make sure I have a picture of every line I mark. We have pretty good digital cameras so it takes no time at all to take the pictures.

Golden: I am trying to visualize this on a longer locate or in longer congested areas. Must be really tough to "know" in advance where the Track hoe is going to dig (I am kidding of course!) but have you ever had to eat a "HIT" that you knew was not the fault of the locate?

That seems pretty arcane to me. When a hit happens the root cause should be looked for and preventive mesaures put in place to prevent/reduce the likelyhood of reoccurance.

If the contractor is lucky enough for you not to have a photo he walks away laughing and knows he dodged the silver bullet! WTF?

That is just unreasonable and unfair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Golden: I am trying to visualize this on a longer locate or in longer congested areas. Must be really tough to "know" in advance where the Track hoe is going to dig (I am kidding of course!) but have you ever had to eat a "HIT" that you knew was not the fault of the locate?

That seems pretty arcane to me. When a hit happens the root cause should be looked for and preventive mesaures put in place to prevent/reduce the likelyhood of reoccurance.

If the contractor is lucky enough for you not to have a photo he walks away laughing and knows he dodged the silver bullet! WTF?

That is just unreasonable and unfair to me.

UG, pardon me but you're not seeing the bigger picture. If the client, generally AT&T, can find fault with your pictures, either pre-digs or investigation shots, the Locating Company is going to pay for the damage even if the investigation establishes a strong case that the contractor was at fault - it is easier to collect from the locate co. than the contractor.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    UG, pardon me but you're not seeing the bigger picture. If the client, generally AT&T, can find fault with your pictures, either pre-digs or investigation shots, the Locating Company is going to pay for the damage even if the investigation establishes a strong case that the contractor was at fault - it is easier to collect from the locate co. than the contractor.

Spray:

Yes, I agree. It strikes me we have the same situation here.

My point I guess in a convoluted kind of way is "It's B.S., it's unfair, but it's not likely to change any time soon."

Here's another one. Had a contractor say I had never marked this sight with 15 office bldgs. Had over 500 pics to prove it was. I'm as bad as golden. I take a pics as fast as my finger can press the button.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Here's another one. Had a contractor say I had never marked this sight with 15 office bldgs. Had over 500 pics to prove it was. I'm as bad as golden. I take a pics as fast as my finger can press the button.

The thing I love most is SM&P's new photo management system. I get called back to a "not marked" ticket and the contractors screaming. I just tell him to hold one second, go to my truck and pull up the original pictures, and shove it down the contractors throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post

The thing I love most is SM&P's new photo management system. I get called back to a "not marked" ticket and the contractors screaming. I just tell him to hold one second, go to my truck and pull up the original pictures, and shove it down the contractors throat.
    Golden:

Do you time and date stamp your pictures to add further evidence to when the photos were actually taken?

Years of Experience

Yes we turn on the date stamp on our cameras. If you look in my album you'll see in the lower left of the picture it has the date stamp.

Click here for my album

I think someone should do the figures on how much time is actually spent at each locate doing drawings and multiply that by how many drawings are done a year by one locator and multiply that by how many locators "draw" for a specific office and multiply that by # of offices owned by that utility. I bet it's more than we make in a year!

Instead of being called locators, we need a job title that involves artists/engineers! We'd make more $. Put that in the suggestion box.

Years of Experience

Yeah what she said

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12