Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawings?

Years of Experience

Question Drawings?

I see alot of members refer to drawings of locates. Are you required to do a drawing of what you've located when you finish the locate? I guess if this is the case it seems really silly to me. We take digital pictures of all our locates and it would seem like a picture would do alot more justice than a drawing.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Drawings?

We have to take pictures and draw a manifest then take a picture of the manifest that is our policy for CLS

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Drawings are merely a waste of time for lot tickets.

I can draw stuff on a piece of paper all day long, and it doesn't prove anything. Thats the old Bellsouth crap for ya.

I havent made a drawing in well over 18 months now. It saves me a total of probably 30 minutes a day, so I can get another ticket done....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

That just seems like a total waste of time. A drawing wouldn't hold up in court. And if you have the digital pictures then you would think it would be just wasting time doing a drawing. I can't even imagine how long it would take to do a drawing if you did a big utility upgrade ticket or pole project.

Is this a CLS requirement or is it a requirement of one of the utility companies you work for in the area?

Most toddlers draw better than me. Hell, I can not even draw a straight line.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    That just seems like a total waste of time. A drawing wouldn't hold up in court. And if you have the digital pictures then you would think it would be just wasting time doing a drawing. I can't even imagine how long it would take to do a drawing if you did a big utility upgrade ticket or pole project.

Is this a CLS requirement or is it a requirement of one of the utility companies you work for in the area?

AT&T requires it

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    AT&T requires it

That's just plain retarded. I'm really glad that AT&T out here doesn't require it. So do you have to draw all the utilities or just the AT&T?

Years of Experience

we are pushing really hard to get rid of it cause like you said they dont mean jack in court

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Interesting post Golden and really eye opening replies.

We are required to do a drawing and take tons of measurements off of fixed objects. We do not take pictures of a locate except for hit investigations.

This has been the norm since 1 calls' inception here.

The contractors want that piece of paper and so do the consortium members to prove liability and the fact I suppose that we actually did the locate.

In the event of cancellation, work is completed, no shows, etc. we simply state on the tkt. what the occurance is and if available have the contractor sign off. We still get paid something for these tkts but not much.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

We started the pictures as an experiment and once the customers seen how easy it was to prove that the cables wqere marked correctly the kinda became required they can really save your but they have mine even if your company doesent require them get yourself a cheap digital camera and some blank CDs and cover your own but cause noone else will

We started the pictures as an experiment and once the customers seen how easy it was to prove that the cables wqere marked correctly the kinda became required they can really save your but they have mine even if your company doesent require them get yourself a cheap digital camera and some blank CDs and cover your own but cause noone else will

Gosh T. ALL my contractors stand behind me when it comes to hits. Have not had one yet that did not stand behind me.

FAR BEHIND ME THAT IS...when the bus is barreling down on me.

Years of Experience

All it takes is the right damage to turn a friend into a foe seen it contractor claims to be tight with you and bam Fiber Cable hit ..then all hell breaks loose and he takes blame for nothing

Years of Experience

All it takes is the right damage to turn a friend into a foe seen it contractor claims to be tight with you and bam Fiber Cable hit ..then all hell breaks loose and he takes blame for nothing
    Can you blame any one of them, though? When push comes to shove, who are you gonna protect? The contractor that you've made buddy buddy with, or the company that signs your paychecks?
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Just thought maybe I would clarify here.

Was trying to say in a round about way that my contractors stand behind me every time...right before they throw me under the bus...

Years of Experience

I must agree that pictures are a must. I just figured everyone took pictures. I take 20-30 pictures on a residental lot ticket and on a long project I can take 300 or more pictures. Our customers require post locate pictures on every damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast