Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark
  • 2 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By 1stCall
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Don't Buy a GPR if You're Operating in California

Years of Experience

Default Don't Buy a GPR if You're Operating in California

We've posted about this a bit before, but California is slowly cracking down on utility locating companies that provide GPR and mapping services in California. Just heard from a fellow locator who was fined $8,000. Other companies have also been fined and gone through administrative hearings, but the fine remains. This is clearly a money making venture for Home - Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists as there is basically no way to fight the fine/charge.

Please consider this if you're thinking about buying a GPR in California.

Years of Experience

Cool Re: Don't Buy a GPR if You're Operating in California

Kalifornia is slowly cracking down on common sense. Fuk that state..
    Good luck if you live there, cuz Rocket man gonna get you soon enough.

Years of Experience

Default Don't Buy a GPR if You're Operating in California

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Kalifornia is slowly cracking down on common sense. Fuk that state..
    Good luck if you live there, cuz Rocket man gonna get you soon enough
    Greetings Mark! Don't be so mean. Blue State California has its many problems. Cali's major problem is its self-destruction becoming Mexifornia!

As for Rocket Man, I believe he is nothing more than a pimple on America's ass. Recently I met a person who works in the American military industrial complex. I made the comment to this person that we, the common people, most likely have no idea what weapons America has in its arsenal to be used against the enemy; new technology, size, scope, offensive or defensive. This person said, "I can't say anything about America's weapons. But I will say this, I sleep VERY WELL every night." The emphasis this person used was on "VERY WELL." I just pray America never considers we, her taxpayers, as her enemy...................... just sayin.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Don't Buy a GPR if You're Operating in California

I have to wonder what the big deal is with GPR service ????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

The geologists are saying that it's their domain and only they are qualified (by law - ?) to interpret the results. This might be a California problem for now, but greed is everywhere, so once the geologist in your state see how lucrative this has been for the Cali geologists, it will probably start spreading across the country. The number of geologists and utility locators is so small that this is not something that "California" is doing, it's something a handful of people decided. The geologists have representation in the government and we do not, so it's obvious how this will go. Who knows what's next.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1stCall View Post
    The geologists are saying that it's their domain and only they are qualified (by law - ?) to interpret the results. This might be a California problem for now, but greed is everywhere, so once the geologist in your state see how lucrative this has been for the Cali geologists, it will probably start spreading across the country. The number of geologists and utility locators is so small that this is not something that "California" is doing, it's something a handful of people decided. The geologists have representation in the government and we do not, so it's obvious how this will go. Who knows what's next.
    thank you for that explanation .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Turn the tables on the geologists. Petition the state body regulates locating to require the geologists provide the number people and amount of equipment needed to perform the locates and to perform them within the time limits.
    Imagine if you get a difficult locate that needs GPR to reliably locate the line and all you would have to do is code it out as needing GPR. Very quickly you would find them creating a member category just for locators.
    TheCableVine likes this.