Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog gets it

Default Dog gets it

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19988968/detail.html

To all of us who ever sprayed a dog. Never been sued though. OVUS, this is down in your neck of the woods. The report says they were marking gas, but sprayed the dog orange. This isn't one of your boys is it?
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Default Re: Dog gets it

http://www.ajc.com/traffic/content/m...rayed_dog.html

The locator, according to this site, could get as much as 12 months in jail????!!!!

"Harris' boss said he shouldn't have been near the gas meter or the dog."

WTF? He's there marking gas lines, but he shouldn't of been near the meter? So much for hooking up at that company....

Btw, the guy did **** up if the dog was fenced in.... It sounds like he did it to be spiteful...... Then again, I can't judge the guy.... I wasn't there, and don't know all the facts.

I agree with you, I would not have sprayed a dog inside a fence if I was on the outside of the fence. Why would the dog have been put on antibiotics? Don't they use water based paint in Georgia?
    Either way, 12 months in jail seems a little excessive.

Years of Experience

We've always been told that it costs less to replace a dog than pay the vet bills. Can't say I've ever heard of one of our guys ever spraying a dog.

I did hear though of one of our guys kicking a field goal with a yappy little dog that was trying to bite though.

It's GOOOD!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    We've always been told that it costs less to replace a dog than pay the vet bills. Can't say I've ever heard of one of our guys ever spraying a dog.

I did hear though of one of our guys kicking a field goal with a yappy little dog that was trying to bite though.

It's GOOOD!
    hhhahah heard that happened here in louisiana??? nearly broke my foot!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

If I just turned and sprayed everytime a dog startled me there would be a lot of very colorful dogs in my area.

When I enter a fenced in area I always look for signs of a dog(bones,holes,crap, or toys). If I see signs of a dog I'll normally knock before entering the gate. If no one answers I'll still enter but be very cautious. I wonder how mad the homeowner would have been if he would have used his reciever or paint wand as a bat.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If he had orange paint he wasn't trying to locate gas.

Whenever I encounter an aggressive dog I enthusiastically say "go get your ball". sometimes that works and it runs off to get its ball. The downside is it comes back with the ball and you are now obligated to throw the wet, slimy ball a couple of times.

If the dog doesn't go get its ball... I just say screw it and keep going. I've never been attacked doing this.

I did get bit once but that was a different situation.

Years of Experience

WTF! This locator is about to lose a year of his life while this dog keeps shitting in somebody's backyard!

This dumbass of an investigative reporter is clueless of what a locator does to get the job done. Even though the excavation will be in the front yard, the tracer wire is at the gas meter at the house. This tracer wire is an access point to tone the location of the gas service(s) and gas main(s) to be marked before excavation begins. This hapless locator was stooped over at the gas meter to clip onto the tracer wire and was startled by the charging dog. In haste, the locator turned around to protect himself with his marking wand and, reacting like a noob, pulled the trigger. The orange paint was still in the wand from his last locating job before he could switch it to yellow for this utility locate. No mystery here.

No 1st line supervisor (or higher ranking supervisor) would throw his locator under the bus as this "investigative reporter" is telling us. And see how loving and playful this pet is to it's master while being filmed on TV? Vet bill? Antibiotics for eye irritants? What BULLSHIT! This TV news story shows me a "fat" dog lover/homeowner that can smell a "fat" settlement check further away than the "fat" stacks of smelly dog shit piled in his back yard.........

-------------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of a news article from my neck of the woods, actually it was a former co-worker, and when I was a Meter Reader I personally had a run in with this dog.

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2009/05/...9836636934.txt

As with this story, the reporter sure comes accross extremely sympathetic to the dog and not the worker.

As for the dog being a cuddly black lab.... When I was a meter reader, we had more run-ins with labs then any other breed of dog. The Homeowners always felt that "scruffy couldn't hurt a fly". My A$$. I watched a yellow lab run full speed at me from 2 houses away being shocked by his 2 shock collars (one for the barking, and one for the invisable fence) when he got within 10 feet I filled his face with some pepper spray, and the homeowner had the audacity to ask me why I sprayed his dog.

If I was this locator, I would refuse to go in any yard till the company would back me 100%. As if we didn't have enough liability on our shoulders now we have to worry about pissing off homeowners?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19988968/detail.html

To all of us who ever sprayed a dog. Never been sued though. OVUS, this is down in your neck of the woods. The report says they were marking gas, but sprayed the dog orange. This isn't one of your boys is it?
    Not no but HELL no! I do know the person named though, but I can't recall the company he works for (only two locating companies in the Atlanta area that locate AT&T though..........) And yes, water based is the norm here.

I'll flip a burger before I put orange paint on the ground again.......
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Me thinks that there is more to the story.... dog sprayed with orange paint, manager says locator should not have been near gas meter or dog...perhaps this locator was a telecomm locator and really "screwed the pooch".

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I am with Utilitrack on this one. 100%
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Got to love the selection of court attire though...my guess is that his next defense will be PTSD...

Quote Originally Posted by Utilitrack View Post
    Me thinks that there is more to the story.... dog sprayed with orange paint, manager says locator should not have been near gas meter or dog...perhaps this locator was a telecomm locator and really "screwed the pooch".
    Article also says he was there marking gas lines (with orange paint?)

APWA color codes must vary from state to state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast