Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog attack this afternoon-almost

Years of Experience

Default Dog attack this afternoon-almost

I was locating at a farm house today. When I pulled in I did my normal wait and see while looking for dog crap, toys, and other stuff to show if there was dogs there. I seen nothing. I had painted out about half of the phone line when out of nowhere comes 3 great big dogs. I looked for the closest safe place and it was on the deck behind the house. I went up on the deck and knocked on the door but I got no answer. The 3 dogs were standing on the stairs barking and snarling at me. I was trapped. The only way off the deck was to jump off the side. That's what I did. The moment I hit the ground, one of the dogs tried biting my leg. I smacked him as hard as I could with my paint stick. I was glad there was a full can of paint in it. The can of paint was one of them tall boys with about 30% more paint in it then a normal one. The can connected with the side of the dogs head and he let out a heck of a whimper and backed off. All this did is piss the other dogs off more. I slowly walked backwards towards the truck and put my receiver and paint stick in it. I still had to go get my transmitter so I grabbed my man hole hook and walked over and got it. I figured the hook would work better to fend them off then a paint stick. By this time I was really really pissed. I billed out the ticket as dog in yard and left a long note on it about what happened and about how pissed I was.

I am gonna start carrying pepper spray with me. Does anybody else do this? Can anybody recommend a good one? What about USIC's no weapon policy?

Default Re: Dog attack this afternoon-almost

I carry a 380 in the truck

Years of Experience

Are you with USIC? I own a Taurus 738 TCP that is one of my carry guns when I'm not working. Maybe I should carry it when I am working. However the no weapons policy bothers me. Still though, I think pepper spray would have been a better tool to have at hand today.

The thing that I have found most useful is just use the paint stick. Spray the dog and when you get back to the truck and the dog comes over take a picture of it. Then I call the authorities and let them know that I am a utility locator and had a dog try and attack me and let them know that the dog has been spray painted and what color. Typicaly they make a report in case the homeowner calls and 9 times out of 10 they bring out Animal Control and pick up the dog.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Dogs in a pack are far more dangerous. A dog that would never attack you will follow the lead of an aggressive dog.

There are a couple of things.

Put your receiver out in front at about the dog's head level. Set the volume up high as this spooks most of them and they think the receiver may be harmful.

With the paint stick in your other hand spray a loose cloud of paint into the air. The hiss they hear and the smell, their keen sense of smell, keeps them back. They tend to not walk through a cloud of paint. Just spray intermittently so you don't empty out the can.

Keep backing up all the while.

A can of pepper spray is a darn good idea. Just watch the wind as it can blow back at you.

A gun can present problems. Most firms have a formal no weapons policy. Pepper spay is just a variant of spraying a dog in the eyes and nose with a paint stick. Only you don't have a multicolor dog afterwards.

Years of Experience
    30+

Back in '05 or '06 CLS use to buy cases of "Dog Repellent" by the cases. I always found paint a better deterrent. Right in the face.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports & Outdoors

You can pick these up by the case. They fit in the palm of your hand and I have personally seen them stop a dog running full steam at me.

Most Meter Readers carry this, and since the utility gives them the green light, your company shouldn't have an issue with it as well.

Mke

Any chance you know the breed of the dogs?

Years of Experience

I would guess two were lab mixes and one was probably a husky mix.

Never had the pleasure of running from a dog.. Have been lucky after 4 years. I have come across homewoners that swear that their dog doesnt bite as their dog is growing and snarling and their holding it back by the collar."It must be your vest".. "he's usually just licks people to death". Heard that many times..

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've never been chased by a dog when I was a Locator. I have only been chased by dogs when I was a Meter Reader. Out of all the breeds, I was chased by labs the most. The only breed that actually got a piece of me was a Pug. I think this was solely due to the apprehension people have for the "aggressive" breeds. When you see a 170lb rot on a porch, you tend to proceed with caution. However, if it was a Cute and cuddly Chocolate Lab you don't think they would be aggressive.

One yellow lab had a electronic bark collar and a shock collar for the invisible fence and it still made a run for me. The homeowner got real pissed when I seasoned him a bit with the pepper spray. The dog stopped coming for me though.

The only thing that chased me when I was a locator was a Turkey.

Mke

The closet call ive had was out in ill. and their was a ranch with 9 yellow labs. there were only 3 that werent friendly and they would just follow you and snap at your boots. A coworker showed up to help and dumped out a box of milkbones and they left us alone.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good [dog deterrent]? What about USIC's no weapon policy?
    Hey buddy! Here's a tip from the ol' Dog Whisperer hisself. A heavy dose of Bee Popper in any vicious animal's face will put that focker down quick! Trust me...................

---------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Very frightening story, especially since there were 3 dogs. I am very glad that you survived! I like how you did a pre-emptive scan for dog toys to prepare for possible dogs in the area, really clever man.

There was a poster on here a year ago who actually claimed he killed a smaller dog by stabbing at them with a nail that was affixed to the end of his paint stick. Self defense when you need it. I would have no problems killing a dog that was attacking me, but the redneck white trash owner of said dog would probably be overtaken by his emotions and try to shoot me with his double barrel shotgun.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

Since FSA brought this thread back to life I thought I would add that I am now carrying one of these.

Tornado Ruger Stealth Pepper Spray System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast