Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control?

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    I still say the best locating equipment combination is:

An 810 classic reciever for the legendary analouge needle speed and unique needle bleed off movement, fast turn on/off, excellent battery life, and the lightest reciever out there.

A vivax 1 watt transmitter with 83 khz support for the full 1 watt of output power, possibly a higher quality inductive field due to the new design, not having the wires exposed while changing batteries, and support for the newer clamps which may give a higher quality connection due to the better materials and design as compared to the classic 810 transmitter and clamp.

{SNIP}
    I weighed my Remington 870 shotgun, 20" barrel, extended magazine and fully loaded it weighs less than the ViVax receiver.

As for the better materials than in the classic 810 ring clamp. The vivax clamp is hollow plastic which cracks and breaks off where the extension pole screws in, not repairable. Also with the 810 clamp the closing tension is supplied by a steel spring where with the vivax it is a rubber band inside the hollow clamp. The band gets old and weak and the clamp pulls open, failing to make a circuit, by it's own weight. It is also a matter of time before the rubber band just breaks.

The 810 ring clamp is far superior.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

WOW I'm glad that you responded, ProfessionalLocator. I currently have one of the last remaining brand new 810DX transmitters in my possession as I bought one right before they stopped making them in October 2011. I got the 4490 Clamp as well which is supposed to be used with the 810dx transmitter per instructions in the official .pdf booklet of the 810dx series.

You get the 1 watt of power and you can still use the 4490 clamp lol. I completely agree with you on the spring loaded power of the black style clamp from metrotech, it shuts pretty nice with that tension.

However they don't make the 810dx transmitter anymore. If you want to still use that 810 classic reciever which they still make in 2012, and you want a full 1 watt of output power, the only choice you have is the 1 watt vivax transmitter and thus the new yellow plastic style clamp. I believe they stopped making the 810dx transmitter because they just came out with the vlocpro 2 version of the 9890 and didn't want people using the old one.

Which is a real shame the old 810dx transmitter was perfectly fine as it was. It even remebered it's settings when you turned it on and off, for power output.

Oh I forgot to mention the other reason the 810 classic reciever is so awesome - the automatic gain control. Rd7000/8000 and vlocpro1 didn't have ANY automatic gain control whatsoever. Rd5000 has it but has major processing delay because of the digital nature of the reciever, you have to walk alot slower with it. Subsite has this same problem.

I have yet to try the vlocpro2 9890 but I've heard the passive modes are not very good on them from someone I work with who uses it. I also heard that the promise of a fast moving needle isn't really that fast, still some digital signal processing delay.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

I have the vlocpro2, it actually is a little faster than the old one. It's only slightly lighter, but I have to say that the passive is the best I've ever used. Disclaimer: I don't use the passive as a primary locate mode. I don't notice any delay.

I think I may have said this before, but slower displays just take time to get used to. I've tested a few slow displays, and they work just as well after an adjustment period.

Just my opinion, though.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Curious about your experiences with the passive modes of the vlocpro2. Have you used the passive modes on the RD7000/8000 series before? Would you still say that the vlocpro2 passive modes are even better than that?

And in what way are they better? Sharper definition of the signals? No huge blanket signal over like 5 feet wide? faster response?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Ive used alot of machines and I can honestly sau Ive never been happier than i am Vivax Vloc pro (5 watt tx) . the features , menus , compass mode , the passive mode and the CP mode. the only thing im not crazy about is its induction abilities. I started out on the metro 9800 series which was good for learning. Ive used Rd`s from time to tima and havnt been a fan of them, mainly for the struture of equipment as well as their menus interfaces. I am currently looking to buy my own machine for other endeavours and Not sure if Im able to afford a new Vivax so i might have to sacrifice for a bit . But i will definitly buy a vivax with my own money without question eventually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12