Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control?

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control?

Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control? I'm looking to upgrade from my Metrotech 810 to the latest and greatest from Vivax-Metrotech but don't want to sacrifice my precious automatic gain control.

I know the RD7000/8000 receiver doesn't have any automatic gain control so I don't want it. I thought about trying out the RD5000 which is the only current generation RD reciever that offers automatic gain control, but that unit doesn't have any passive modes on it which pisses me off. I don't know if the rd4000 ever offered automatic gain control, but I don't think you can buy those new anymore and they are also the heaviest receiver of all time.

I know the metrotech 9800 series had automatic gain control despite being a horrible piece of equipment, and I'm not sure if the metrotech i5000 did or not, never used one of those.

Any Vivax Vloc Pro users out there want to share thier knowledge?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the Vivax Vloc Pro receiver have automatic gain control?

it doesn't have auto gain control... or not that I am aware of. I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and love it... it's lighter than the rd 4000, and has the depth on the main screen, which comes in handy when you are locating busy roads and intersections. I can literally trace a line without sweeping and know I am on that line by the depth. I can hear the tone better than the rd. Then there are the multiple/programmable frequencies...... I'm not just stuck with 3 or 4.... then there is the dual frequencies.... it has some short comings such as being a bit of a battery hog, but overall it's a good piece of equipment.

Simply put, yes it is automatic gain. Unlike an old Dynatel though you can change gain to your liking as well. When over your target line and using the gain it will adjust automatically. Besides all this though. I have written a previous post concerning the Vivax (pronounced Vee-vax by the hoighty- toighties.) Who came to fix their defective product. I will explain... When we 1st started using the Vivax it was horrible, they ate batteries; especially in the cold. Literally 3 average locates and a set of batteries would be done. Also we found out that they were shorting out because the circuit boards had not been washed with a special solution to remove any debris, etc. from the manufacturing process. This put a bad taste in my mouth for Vivax. Something to the effect of who dunnit and what the hell for! I wanted nothing to do with the Vivax and quietly plotted their destruction all the while still locating with my Dynatel or RD 4000. This came to an abrupt end when I had to give up my locators to others who needed them more and got stuck with the Vivax. There was one locate in particular that I had never been able to perform no matter what equipment I used. I had exhausted all hook-ups and nothing worked. These were some 750 mcm's that crossed a highway and the nearest hook up was literally 1/2 mile away. The Vivax located them with no problem, not a single blip or anything contradicting the fact that this was a great machine. Throughout the seasons I came to appreciate the Vivax. They are unparalleled when compared to other locators. As previously stated though the fact remains that they are without a doubt unreliable. We have been plagued with problems... the circuit board, the battery cable being cheap and breaks from the battery pack, the depth not working, or the unit just won't turn on. When they do work though, I never doubt my signal, depth, or current. These are accurate, more so than you would ever expect. I have tried to get them to bleed off and they don't. You can literally walk the line right into the corner of a tub and know without blinking that the line is right there. Maybe it is the array of antennas that they have or maybe it is just how they are set up in the machine. You cannot have a better machine... when it works. Second choice would be a Rd 7000. Not as accurate in my opinion but leagues ahead when compared on it's reliabilty. 3rd choice which no troubleshooter should be without. The treasured pipehorn 800-H. Keep your dick-beaters off mine and there will be no problems.
    You're over the target when you're getting the flak.

"If it's funny, you're not in trouble." - Damon Wayans (referencing his kids.)

Years of Experience

If you are looking for a Metrotech 810 replacement get a demo of a DitchWitch 830R. Find the nearest DW dealership and request a demo. Have them leave the unit in your hands for a few days and see if it performs better than the 810.

Years of Experience

Ohhh, I think I see what you are saying. Put simply, the vivax vloc pro doesn't have automatic gain control, but if you are close or directly over the line connected to and you press the manual gain control, there is an algorithm inside of the firmware on the receiver that will adjust the gain to what the software thinks would be the best sensitivity.

For example, if you are over a telephone line that you are inductive clamped on, and you have a gain setting of 50, if you are directly over that line and it's a really shitty signal and you press the increase gain button, the receiver won't give you a single increase of gain to 51, it will auto-calculate the gain for you and probably increase it to 86 or something. This increase is calculated by the software on the receiver as what would be the best gain to get that signal at like 75% or something.

The rd8000/7000 is the same way. The metrotech 810 on the other hand is truely automatic gain at all times, and that's what I was really after. What I find so funny is the metrotech 9800 series actually had the option of manual gain control or fully automatic gain control. The people who enjoyed locating with manual gain control could do so and the people who wanted fully automatic gain control could also use the exact same unit.

Thank you for replying on that question, you gave me some valuable information. As for the ditchwitch, I am going to try the rd5000 first and see how it handles. It has a new guidance mode that mimics the 810 meaning it has a needle and the audio tone that signifies if the line is to the left or right. Can't wait to see how it holds up. Supposedly it is Radiodetection's first automatic gain control on any of thier line locators?? I don't think the rd4000 had it and I don't know at all if the rd400 had it either but I don't think they did.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    I am going to try the rd5000 first and see how it handles. It has a new guidance mode that mimics the 810 meaning it has a needle and the audio tone that signifies if the line is to the left or right. Can't wait to see how it holds up. Supposedly it is Radiodetection's first automatic gain control on any of thier line locators?? I don't think the rd4000 had it and I don't know at all if the rd400 had it either but I don't think they did.
    I demo'd an RD5000 a while back. It felt like a single frequency RD7000 with automatic gain control. Performance was nowhere near an 810.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Wires View Post
    I demo'd an RD5000 a while back. It felt like a single frequency RD7000 with automatic gain control. Performance was nowhere near an 810.
    Get a Heath Sure-Loc, it has automatic gain.

Years of Experience

830R is the only thing out there I have found that beats the classic 810. If you need an auto gain single frequency locator, this it the best thing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy415 View Post
    Get a Heath Sure-Loc, it has automatic gain.
    Hey Fly Guy, welcome to the forum. The 2 Heath locators in my area are now telling me they don't like the Sure-Loc and want their RD8000s back they had with UQ.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fooler View Post
    830R is the only thing out there I have found that beats the classic 810. If you need an auto gain single frequency locator, this it the best thing around.
    Beats an 810? I've tried the 830 on a couple different occasions and I'll still take my 30 year old 810 hands down.

I know that the 830 is supposed to be an "810 killer" but i beg to differ. I will give you that the preformance may beat a new, from the factory, 810. The only new 810 I've tried, I was not pleased with either.

But maybe i'm jaded due to bessy's (My 810) preformance.

I don't want to be the guy who comes on and bashes equipment without leaving reasons so here is a couple for the 830;
    1) Sluggish needle movement. Huge difference between the Analog 810 needle and the digital 830 display. The sluggish response slowed the entire locate down and through me off my pace, which is already slow =).

2) Induction strength, the 830 did induce, but compared to Bessy, it didn't carry the signal as far, or have as much bleed off as I wanted. With the wierd shape of the transmitter, we were not able to do some the the weird voodoo stuff like we can do whith a square box transmitter. I'd go into details but i'm being vague so rookies don't get any bad thoughts in their head.

Mke

Years of Experience

Mke,
    Respect your opinion, but the 830 does not have a needle. It has a full on graphical display with left right arrows that go to a diamond when centered. The auto depth when centered is also excellent. Has optional power mode which is nice and is rugged as hell. I think for the money the 830 is head and shoulders above the old 810 (which is still one hell of a locator).

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Fooler,

When I said "Needle" it was referencing the function not an actual physical needle. It worked well enough for you to understand what I was refering to.

I'm glad you like the 830, and it is way more rugged then the 810, i'll definately give you that.

Mke

Hey SprayandPray!

I was wasn't saying they were great I was just saying they have automatic gain. Plain and simple!

Gotta love locating! Ain't nothing PRETTY about it, Ain't no EASY MONEY....Sometimes you just gotta Spray and Pray!!

I've been pretty happy with my Vivax machine lately, after a very unsatisfactory initial impression of them after we first got them a couple of years ago, burned through a couple of failed receivers in as many weeks. I went back to my 810 and Rycom combo for quite some time, but now it seems they have most of the kinks worked out and they are a much more reliable machine, and the slim transmitters are a beauty. So now I'm a Vivax convert and trust it implicitly on my locates.

Years of Experience

I still say the best locating equipment combination is:

An 810 classic reciever for the legendary analouge needle speed and unique needle bleed off movement, fast turn on/off, excellent battery life, and the lightest reciever out there.

A vivax 1 watt transmitter with 83 khz support for the full 1 watt of output power, possibly a higher quality inductive field due to the new design, not having the wires exposed while changing batteries, and support for the newer clamps which may give a higher quality connection due to the better materials and design as compared to the classic 810 transmitter and clamp.

A radiodetection Cable Avoidance Tool CAT for the legendary power and radio passive modes from radiodetection. Fast turn on and off compared to a rd8000 reciever (no bios), no dot matrix display so much longer battery life, and you can hold the reciever at the same angle as your body so no need to turn your wrist sideways when locating which gets annoying.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast