Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound familiar to ANY of you????????????????????

Default Does this sound familiar to ANY of you????????????????????

1. If you desire a mediocre workforce, make sure your employees know you don't trust them.

Nothing spells "You're dirt to us" like a corporate culture that screams, "We don't trust you as far as we can throw you." I refer to company policies that require employees to clock in and out for lunch or software that tracks every keystroke and change of URL in case a molecule of nonwork-related activity squeaks into the workday. When employees know they're not trusted, they become experts at "presenteeism"—the physical appearance of working, without anything getting done. Congratulations! Your inability to trust the very people you've selected to join your team has cost you their energy, goodwill, and great ideas.

2. If you want to drive talented people away, don't tell them when they shine.

Fear of a high-self-esteem employee is prevalent among average-grade corporate leadership teams. Look how hard it is for so many managers to say, "Hey Bob, you did a great job today." Maybe it's a fear that the bit of praise will be met with a request for a pay raise. Maybe it's the fear that acknowledging performance will somehow make the manager look weak. Whatever the reason for silence, leaders who can't say, "Thanks—good going!" can plan on bidding farewell to their most able team members in short order.

3. If you prefer a team of C-list players, keep employees in the dark.

Sharp knowledge workers want to know what's going on in their organizations, beyond their departmental silos. They want some visibility into the company's plans and their own career mobility. Leaders who can't stand to shine a light on their firms' goals, strategies, and systems are all but guaranteed to spend a lot of money running ads on Monster.com. Marketable top performers want a seat at the table and won't stand for being left in the dark without the information they need to do their jobs well.

4. If you value docility over ingenuity, shout it from the rooftops.

I heard from a new MBA who had joined a global manufacturer. "They told me during my first week that I need a manager's signature to organize a meeting," he recalled. "They said I'm too low-level to call a meeting on my own, because unauthorized meetings of nonmanagers are against company policy." How fearful of its employees would a leadership team have to be to forbid people to gather together to solve problems? The most desirable value creators won't stick around to be treated like children. They'll hop a bus to the first employer who tells them, "We're hiring you for your talent—now go do something brilliant."

5. If you fear an empowered workforce more than you fear the competition, squash any sign of individualism.

When you go to college, you learn about Economic Man, but in the corporate workplace we see that real people don't always act rationally. Lots of individual managers and plenty of leadership teams fear nothing more than the idea that a self-directed employee might buck authority. That's equivalent to shaking the organizational power structure to its foundation, possibly a fate worse than death. Leaders who want the most docile, sheep-like employees more than the smartest and ablest ones create systems to keep the C players on board and drive the A team out the door. They do it by instituting reams of pointless rules, upbraiding people for miniscule infractions ("What? Twenty minutes late? Sure you worked here until midnight last night, but starting time is starting time.") and generally replacing trust with fear throughout their organizations. Companies that operate in fear mode will never deliver great products and services to the marketplace. Their efforts will be hamstrung by their talent-repelling management practices.

How long will it take these enterprises to figure out they're shooting themselves in the foot? It doesn't matter—you'll be long gone by then.

Liz Ryan is an expert on the new-millennium workplace and a former Fortune 500 HR executive

Default Re: Does this sound familiar to ANY of you????????????????????

It's like EVERY major Locate Company has followed the 'WHAT NOT TO DO' playbook VERBATUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda makes you think who the clowns are that run the show huh??????????????????????

This is WHY Cablevine is FEARED.
    Last edited by AULupstate; May 17th, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think I've worked for that very company.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Sounds like most that I've worked for.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I once worked for a company that had a suggestion plan. If they implemented the suggestion they would figure out the savings for the year and the person who put the suggestion in would get a check for 10% of the savings. On guy got a check for $7000.00. Everybody was putting in suggestions. It was a great morale boost to some people knowing the company listed to the people on the factory floor

yes !!!! I have repeatedly said "I think this company is trying to run us into the ground.. It is absolutely the most self defeating and frustrating thing to see a flagrant waste of time and money to do counter productive procedures that take more time to do than the actual job that pays their salaries. To have stupid people scewing up everything they do and to question our every move knowing they are wrong,.. Has it truely come down to them using their "on paper losses" (which are not actual losses because we payed for every upgrade they have) as a loop hole to rob us blind?

Years of Experience

I'm starting to think my company goes by these same rules!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I'm starting to think my company goes by these same rules!!!!
    lol well i believe you do... Investment firms that buy companies only interest is to steal and lie as much as they can legally or illegaly get away with and sell asap..

Years of Experience

we must be fixing to sell.............hahhhahhahahhahahha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

we must be fixing to sell.............hahhhahhahahhahahha
    usic was already sold like couple weeks ago. woo hoo aother investment firm to literally take the food from your kids mouths..

Quote Originally Posted by nuffsenuff View Post
    usic was already sold like couple weeks ago. woo hoo aother investment firm to literally take the food from your kids mouths..
    oops i mean the "smp" part of usic.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nuffsenuff View Post
    oops i mean the "smp" part of usic.
    I am a bit lost on this but I understand the controlling interest in USIC itself was sold a couple of weeks ago.

USIC is really only two years old. Was formed to buy SM&P and CLS (Central Locating Service) to form one large company.

These large conglomerates of multiple companies held by investment firms like Utiliquest, USIC, Consolidated use the tactic of buying contracts where they can instead of directly bidding on them. They do this by buying the controlling interest in firms that hold these contracts. Sure they bid on contracts but this is in addition to buying them.

It is among these large conglomerate firms we have seen here falling productivity combined with investment in technology that ends up reducing productivity. So they have rising costs combined with falling profitability. This makes these firms vulnerable to the same 'buy the contract' tactic that they themselves use. When faced with the failures of their implementations of new technology and rules rather than reveres their course and return to profitability they dug in their heels and increased their rules and expenses. This makes them cash starved and since they refuse to correct their actions that leaves selling off parts of their firm to get operating cash.

There is blood in the water and now the smaller firms may have the opportunity to chip away at the giants and expand their own firm at the same time.

Years of Experience

Utiliquest is saying that they are still making a profit despite all the lost revenue with technological advances..... I think someone is lying somewhere to somebody.....is it Dycom lying to it's investors??????? we shall see!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I am a bit lost on this but I understand the controlling interest in USIC itself was sold a couple of weeks ago.

USIC is really only two years old. Was formed to buy SM&P and CLS (Central Locating Service) to form one large company.

These large conglomerates of multiple companies held by investment firms like Utiliquest, USIC, Consolidated use the tactic of buying contracts where they can instead of directly bidding on them. They do this by buying the controlling interest in firms that hold these contracts. Sure they bid on contracts but this is in addition to buying them.

It is among these large conglomerate firms we have seen here falling productivity combined with investment in technology that ends up reducing productivity. So they have rising costs combined with falling profitability. This makes these firms vulnerable to the same 'buy the contract' tactic that they themselves use. When faced with the failures of their implementations of new technology and rules rather than reveres their course and return to profitability they dug in their heels and increased their rules and expenses. This makes them cash starved and since they refuse to correct their actions that leaves selling off parts of their firm to get operating cash.

There is blood in the water and now the smaller firms may have the opportunity to chip away at the giants and expand their own firm at the same time.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Utiliquest is saying that they are still making a profit despite all the lost revenue with technological advances..... I think someone is lying somewhere to somebody.....is it Dycom lying to it's investors??????? we shall see!!!
    Dycom claims profits but there hasn't been enough profits to pay their investors dividends in some number of years now. The people who buy this stock know what they are buying. Dycom as a stock is only as a short term investment, buy hoping people will soon offer more than the costs of the commissions paid to buy it. They know they are buying stock in a firm that only exists to make salaries for the CEO, CFO, BOD and others, this is not a long term investment.

Years of Experience

I would have to assume that we will be owned by Dycom for quite some time then...................oh well...gps won't be going anywhere!!! hahhaahahha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast