Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does one on-call area get hit harder than others, for you guys?

Default Re: Does one on-call area get hit harder than others, for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    (15 duct runs) in front of an electric substation (11 duct runs), and several gas mains. All at 130 in the morning.
    Hopefully that locator knew how to read underground prints very well, and didn't have to get physical with all those duct runs. With that many ducts, it would be hard to imagine not having to open a minimum of 15 of those duct access points; regardless of how good a guy can read underground prints, with so many ducts in one area it would be hard for me to imagine pedestals all nearby that had a line from a separate duct in them.

Situation like that would call for something I was thinking about a few months ago, a 'miner's hat' (hat with a light attached) ...

that would come in handy, especially if you had to get in a few manholes that were full of water, and had no other access point nearby to get on a specific duct...

anyway, much respect to whoever located all that shit at 1:30am
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    Hopefully that locator knew how to read underground prints very well, and didn't have to get physical with all those duct runs. With that many ducts, it would be hard to imagine not having to open a minimum of 15 of those duct access points; regardless of how good a guy can read underground prints, with so many ducts in one area it would be hard for me to imagine pedestals all nearby that had a line from a separate duct in them.

Situation like that would call for something I was thinking about a few months ago, a 'miner's hat' (hat with a light attached) ...

that would come in handy, especially if you had to get in a few manholes that were full of water, and had no other access point nearby to get on a specific duct...

anyway, much respect to whoever located all that shit at 1:30am
    Dude, go to Wal-Mart and buy a hat light. They have all kinds of nifty led lights built to strap on hard-hats/heads/vests/etc. Work great. Cost ya 10-20 bucks.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

I remember having to git in 4 or 5 manholes to mark all those ducts. There was a boatload of snow on the ground, and the watermain break was horrible. I spent 7 bucks (bought at Lowe's) on a small light that fits to my hard hat.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

I found lights that snap on to the underside of cap brims. They work great! $10 at Wally World, or if you don't want to take the chance or running into the Sic1, $6 at Walgreen's!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    Was just curious what it was like in other places around our nation? The way your pagers are divided when on-call time comes, do you have areas that have their own pager that the guys of that area swap around, that nobody ever beeps; compared to an area with a pager that alot of other guys share, that beeps constantly?..But with all of them working out of the same office...? When you look at things like this, it's almost like in some places that are getting hit harder than others, one group of guys could constantly suffer from a pager that goes off almost every night of the week twice. Whereas, some places have softer beepers where the beeper absolutely never goes off, that doesn't even bother their guys.

First idea that comes to mind is to have a universal beeper. To add guys to the rotation that, normally never get beeped from their own beeper. To let them have a taste of pain for a few days. The sign on the wall when you walk in says 'Teamwork', what I just described is the very definition of it.

We live in a city of just ove 1.0 million people...pretty small by most standards.
    We have an individual on call for one week that covers the entire city and there is a back up individual in the event there are two calls at once.
    They get a flat rate and are called out to emergencies usually where there is little to mark...certainly NOT 500 feet every direction from a major intersection.
    This of course assumes we are talking about after hours stuff. During work hours it would be the individual who is closest that would take the call.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I found lights that snap on to the underside of cap brims. They work great! $10 at Wally World, or if you don't want to take the chance or running into the Sic1, $6 at Walgreen's!

i know you didn't bring up the walmart incident.................hhehehehehehehehehhahhaha hhahahah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    This is what I use. I'm actually on call starting today til next Friday. I've been out all night so far. The lights on the hat work perfect to see the readings on your reciever and inside peds. I also use these when in manholes. It's alot easier than a flashlight because they are hands free.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    This is what I use. I'm actually on call starting today til next Friday. I've been out all night so far. The lights on the hat work perfect to see the readings on your reciever and inside peds. I also use these when in manholes. It's alot easier than a flashlight because they are hands free.
    I have a bunch of these as well, find them @ dollar/discount stores all over out here. Usually $4-5. Biggest thing I found is get GOOD batteries for them, the ones they come with SUCK!!

Man , must be nice to get time and a half. We do get the paid drive obviously but just straight time no matter the amount of hours and at the end of a full weeks rotation a mere $50 payout on top of the hours. At the end of the day it's a neccessary part of the job but would be nice to get compensated properly for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12