Thread: Does Null mode or combined peak/null mode on the RD8000 have automatic gain control?

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Does Null mode or combined peak/null mode on the RD8000 have automatic gain control?

Does Null mode or combined peak/null mode on the RD8000 have automatic gain control? It's the mode that gives you the guiding left and right arrows when you locate. The reason is I ask is because I haven't yet used the RD8000 and have just discovered from using another seperate piece of equipment that null mode doesn't always come with automagic gain control.

I have also read directly in the rd8000 manual that the null mode "should not be used for locating, unless the area is not prone to interference". Apparently the null mode is easier to use because of the left and right guiding arrows, but is prone to magnetic interference from other nearby stuff which can throw off the accuracy.

Anything else to worry about with the RD8000 null mode? Is it faster or slow than the peak mode? Faster or slower compared to the combined peak/null mode? I ask because I am comming from a metrotech 810 and still want that automatic gain control with arrow guidance but this time I want some good passive modes on the same unit.

Is it possible to use null mode or combined peak/null mode with the passive modes? Or is peak only available on those passive modes? Passive modes being Power, Radio, CATV and CPS of course.

Thanks for everyone's time and have a wonderful day.

Default Re: Does Null mode or combined peak/null mode on the RD8000 have automatic gain control?

I love my rd8000 but I have never even tryed null mode. I'll check tomorrow

Default Re: Does Null mode or combined peak/null mode on the RD8000 have automatic gain control?

You still have to manually adjust your gain on the 8000. The combined mode , at least visually, will not normally show depth unless you are actually toning the utility you are connected to - not sure it's 100% but is a good indicator.

Peak mode uses 2 antennas lined up 1 above the other, like the sights on a rifle. The null mode only uses 1 antenna so the accuracy is not as great.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Aaaah!! So even with left and right guidance arrows with the null mode or dual peak/null mode it will not automatically adjust the gain for you. Damn, I thought such guidance modes were always used with automatic gain control.

Thank you for the replies so far. I didn't know that peak mode uses 2 antennas for high accuracy like that. If null mode only uses 1 antenna, does that make it somehow give a faster response so that you could walk faster with the receiver and still get readings because the processor inside of the unit doesn't have to deal with 2 antennas at the same time giving out readings?

Can you still use the null mode or dual peak/null mode with any of the passive modes? Just curious as that would be fun to play around with. There is a piece of locating equipment called a Verifier G2 by a company called McLaughlin that has a power passive and also a radio passive mode that can be used in null mode (meaning left and right guidance arrows). Not suggesting that the Verifier g2 is actually a good piece, though.

Looks like null mode has alot of haters. Too bad. Does the dual peak and null mode respond any slower because both methods are being calculated at the same time? But I have read that the rd8000 has a dual core processor inside of it so hopefully it shouldn't suffer a performance penalty.

I've also read that the compass works with the CATV passive mode, but does it work with any of the other passive modes?

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

They do not teach to mark out in peak with dots and and come back checking in null and then put the line down?

Years of Experience

Spray has it right, and I'll add this: Null does seem a little slower than other Rd's I have used, but it is by no means bad. It will not null in passive, but I really like the passive power and radio modes on this unit.