1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Do You Smoke?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do You Smoke?

Steve, In the last few months we've had these vaping stores (like smoke shops I guess) popping up all over the place. I'm sure one will open in your area soon. I'm sure they would be happy to explain it to you and let you try it out.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I can't resist the evil imp that lives inside my head any longer.......

Two old whores were talking and one asked the other "Do you smoke when you are done?"

The second one replied "I don't know, I never looked."
    Mark, UULC, phoenix827 and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    I have been thinking about trying these but I don't know where to start. I've tried watching a few videos online but I don't know what most of them are talking about. Tanks, batteries, vape, cartomizers, atomizers, egos. Can you give me some ideas on where to start? If you would you can do it on pms so we are not hijacking this thread
    Please, feel free to jack this thread. I like to hear about that stuff too. If it can help somebody out, have at it.

Years of Experience

Anyone else quit and end up on antidepressants or anything else? Turns out the cigs were medicating me to stay somewhat "normal"

Damn right I smoke, then I have another, then another, then another, then Another....Crap, I ran out, need to stop by the store and get another pack. Have another...Cough, cough. It'll probably help me breath if I have another.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Most would think those meters are leaking. Truth is that it's most likely the pressure regulator venting the extra pressure down.
    Most common leak is from the fittings of a recently installed meter. The temperature changes and the fitting loosens up and gas leaks. When I marked gas I carried a large wrench and a bottle of soapy water. Tightened a lot of those fittings.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    When I marked gas I carried a large wrench and a bottle of soapy water. Tightened a lot of those fittings.
    You'd probably lose your job if you were caught doing that around here to Vectren facilities. I don't think any of the field technicians would say anything to us, since we may know them, but if the hire ups found out, different story. Under no circumstance are we as locators permitted to tamper with any fittings or tighten valves. If you were to break a fitting or strip a thread, then what? Make a call and leave it up to the proper authorities.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    You'd probably lose your job if you were caught doing that around here to Vectren facilities. I don't think any of the field technicians would say anything to us, since we may know them, but if the hire ups found out, different story. Under no circumstance are we as locators permitted to tamper with any fittings or tighten valves. If you were to break a fitting or strip a thread, then what? Make a call and leave it up to the proper authorities.
    Around here it is Washington Gas Light who would probably parrot back what you said if asked. The reality is WGL blows up someones house about every ten years. Reported gas leaks are given the category of A, B or C with A the highest priority. The smell of gas in someones yard or the street is a category C and these have been left not investigated as much as two years. They simply do not have enough staff to investigate and repair all the gas leaks. Since they will not spend money to do it on straight time they also will not pay for the OT.

Once a house blows up they get news media attention and for maybe the next year put extra effort into abating gas leaks. Then they wait for the next house to blow up.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Around here it is Washington Gas Light who would probably parrot back what you said if asked. The reality is WGL blows up someones house about every ten years. Reported gas leaks are given the category of A, B or C with A the highest priority. The smell of gas in someones yard or the street is a category C and these have been left not investigated as much as two years. They simply do not have enough staff to investigate and repair all the gas leaks. Since they will not spend money to do it on straight time they also will not pay for the OT.

Once a house blows up they get news media attention and for maybe the next year put extra effort into abating gas leaks. Then they wait for the next house to blow up.
    hmm, sounds familiar!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Around here, Intermountain Gas Company gives gas odors a high priority. I called in a "stinky meter" recently and when I was leaving I passed up an IGC dump truck pulling a backhoe followed by an IGC service tech truck. I thought that was really fast so I turned around and sure enough, they pulled up to the house I was just at.

I've also called in odors of unknown origin and a few days later I will get a ticket from IGC to do locates for gas line repairs at the location I reported.

That is how it should be done.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

--------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Around here, Intermountain Gas Company gives gas odors a high priority. I called in a "stinky meter" recently and when I was leaving I passed up an IGC dump truck pulling a backhoe followed by an IGC service tech truck. I thought that was really fast so I turned around and sure enough, they pulled up to the house I was just at.

I've also called in odors of unknown origin and a few days later I will get a ticket from IGC to do locates for gas line repairs at the location I reported.

That is how it should be done.
    There's been an uptick recently where the smell of natural gas was reported and no timely response from the utility, Then a house explosion. There's no way the utility can weasel their way out of a lawsuit under those circumstances so most of the gas companies took notice and placed reports of leaking gas back on their top priority list. Where it should have been all along. It's all about the money.

this happened near me in the town i live in i think 2 years ago? ever since i saw the now leveled house every time i had received an emergency for nicor to fix a gas leak once i got there located my fiber if needed to and got the **** out of there!!!! Elgin House Explosion on Elma Avenue - YouTube

Years of Experience

Back to the thread I use to smoke for 20 years in the Army but when I got back from my last deployment I quit never to start back. Cold turkey (Just lucky I guess). But to settle the nerves nothing that a strong drink of Early Times and Coffee (half and half) won't cure. Come to think of it when I layed down the smoking gun from Iraq I picked up the liquid courage and started locating. Now back off the thread! a leak at the gas meter weather union or a regulator leaking it wouldn't be enough gas to blow up because you have to have the right % of gas to air for it to burn. You would hear it blowing if that the case. Really think about it.
    Mark likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Man View Post
    Back to the thread I use to smoke for 20 years in the Army but when I got back from my last deployment I quit never to start back. Cold turkey (Just lucky I guess). But to settle the nerves nothing that a strong drink of Early Times and Coffee (half and half) won't cure. Come to think of it when I layed down the smoking gun from Iraq I picked up the liquid courage and started locating. Now back off the thread! a leak at the gas meter weather union or a regulator leaking it wouldn't be enough gas to blow up because you have to have the right % of gas to air for it to burn. You would hear it blowing if that the case. Really think about it.
    Off thread.
    That leaking gas leaches through the soil, especially when the ground is frozen. It wells up in underground structures like manholes, sewer systems, and basements. The utility companies depend on this to seek out leaks. They put small holes in the ground knowing that hole will fill with gas from the surrounding soil. Then they test the percentages until they determine how close they are to the highest quantities of gas. That's where they will start digging.
    With basements, a leaking line can fill one quickly. If it's an unfinished, unused basement, the homeowner can be completely unaware that gas levels have built up to dangerous levels. Just waiting for the electronic ignition from a furnace or water heater to set of an explosion that can level entire blocks.
    It's happened several times in my region.

Back on thread.
    I would have voted in this poll but there's no way to check off more than one option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast