Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you get payed for travel from home to your first locate

Years of Experience

Default Re: do you get payed for travel from home to your first locate

I've loved the locating biz for over 15 years and the only reason I can come up with as to why someone would want to drive his personal car to the office just so he can start getting paid from the office to his 1st locate and then back to the office at the end of the day is that he is trying to get out of work. I may need to audit your locates. Make a note.

Years of Experience
    17 years

God. It'd be AWFUL driving into the office each morning!! Especially the rural guys. Taking trucks home is the only practical solution. Just don't try to consider it compensation or tell me it's not company business when you've spoken to your contractor and you're heading to your first job.
    Last edited by daman1; February 19th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UTILQ1 View Post
    DAMMIT !!!

I just re-read this and my point "sandbagging" means arriving at a clock in and out location where there is work to be done for an intended ticket or project but with the intentions of not completing the locate until you manage when you choose to.

Code it as you need to but not fraudulently. All have a variety of duties that need to be performed.

ONE MAY NEED TO COME BACK A FEW TIMES before its past due thats all... Its a tough locate you know...wink wink... da!
    You new guys, UTILQ1 can do as he pleases. I just hold that doing this is bad advice unless you want to really want to risk losing your job. Sure you can get away with this once or twice but make this a regular habit an you are going to bring attention on yourself that is the unwanted type.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by wmiusic View Post
    I was just wondering if everyone gets payed to drive to there first locate. we don't but according to the dept of labor and wage if were are driving a co vehical from home to the job site we should be payed for our travel time.
    Oh NOOOOWWWW I see what the little devil meant!!!! LoL Ya got me. Very well done Sir

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I looked into the standby pay and had a conversation with somebody at the dept. of labor (State of Idaho) where they told me that if you were required to sit in a room and wait for a phone call, then standby pay would be warranted. But, if you had full run of the house, the yard, could go to the neighbors and visit, run to the store... etc. and still were able to respond to the emergency call-out within the two hours, then no standby pay was justified.

That made sense to me.

I think it is just commons sense to take expensive equipment into a secure home when there is a likelihood of a theft happening if left in the vehicle.
    I have friends that live roughly an hour and a half drive from my house, and USIC does not allow use of company trucks when on call, so thier response policy is interfering with what I choose to do with my time, and therefore I should be compensated for it.

And states where USIC is union they are compensated for on call duty.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    I have friends that live roughly an hour and a half drive from my house, and USIC does not allow use of company trucks when on call, so thier response policy is interfering with what I choose to do with my time, and therefore I should be compensated for it.

And states where USIC is union they are compensated for on call duty.
    The department of labor states that if you are required to respond to calls for after hours work (ie on call) you must be compensated if responding makes you to not be able to partake in normal everyday activities. Therefore visting a friend, going to church or any other normal activities are not to be infringed apon by being on call. After USIC took away the $50.00 for being on call they lost the ability to dictate that you stay home and be at a locate within two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    I've loved the locating biz for over 15 years and the only reason I can come up with as to why someone would want to drive his personal car to the office just so he can start getting paid from the office to his 1st locate and then back to the office at the end of the day is that he is trying to get out of work. I may need to audit your locates. Make a note.
    Most in house facility field personnel (phone techs and power company field employees) drive to and from their offices daily in personal vehicles.

I guess its WORTH it to them. Not many complaints. It would be petty to even consider such an inconvenience when the higher compensation and big bucks exist. HA!

The cynical bickering crap that gets focused on over the contract locate table scraps is why this is even a consideration.

Years of Experience

we used to gt paid to drive to our first locate but years later that stopped and it was no more arguing about it!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Right on !

I guess there are a few revolving door holders as adiose appears the preferred choice to bending over.

The 400 + locator jobs daily on indeed confirm that high satisfaction rate during these high unemployment times.

Years of Experience

I just got on here so I wasn't able to reply earlier but I don't think this subject is dead. Every couple of months or so I hear the same rumblings around the water cooler so I know this subject will come up again.

For a time, I was the recruiter for my center. If I had a nickle for every time an applicant gave me a sob story about how they couldn't buy shoes for their kids or was going to lose their truck to the repo man I wouldn't be slinging paint for a living now. So, of course, I would buy in to the sob stories only to find them a few months later running down the company and saying how they need to be paid for this and shouldn't have to pay for that. Didn't I feel like a sucker for giving them a job.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is allowed to bitch and complain now and again but when you're fingering through state laws and quoting court cases, it's going a little too far. Listen, the jobs just ain't out there like they were. If your company is still afloat long enough to provide you with steady income because they had to do some "creative accounting" then I think you should shake their hand and say thank you very much.

You all know the economy is not great right now. Everyday I drive down my street and look at all the homes on forclosure. I don't remember the last time I saw a new car in my neighborhood. A lot of people have it worse than you. As bad as it, is our country has gone through a tougher time than this. If you're 3rd generation American or better then your family went through it. It was known as the Great Depression. I'm sure they had to endure more trials and abuses to keep a job back then than you could ever dream of. What would they say to you about having to carry a company phone with you on the weekend or drive 2 hours to work in a company provided car? I would be ashamed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123