Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ditching Cable Service

Years of Experience

Default Re: Ditching Cable Service

I was going to ditch CATV and called the cable company to disconnect my TV and just use the cable line for the internet. They said it was done and I still have basic cable. I checked my next bill and I wasn't getting charged for it so I'll enjoy their screw up until the next time they do an audit. Did I mention that I used to locate for this CATV company and they were useless. No prints, fiber they didn't even know about and no help if you try to call them.

I still have my Netflix streaming account through my Blu-ray and I love it. There defiantly is not the same selection as their DVD service though.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That reminds me of a few years back. My Mrs. wanted to get rid of cable for the summer time, but she felt weird about stopping service just for a few months. When she called they stated they could put our account on "Vacation" status and all we would have to do was pay a 5 dollar monthly fee to keep it where they wouldn't have to send a tech out to re-hook the cable. So for the next 3 months we paid 5 bucks a month and got all our cable channels still.

As for Streamin videos.... Love it. The selection isn't the widest, but it still has tons of movies. I find myself watching movies I would otherwise not watch. (I'm slightly addicted to Bollywood movies).

As for the Roku, Its great. alot of their "channels" are cheap and not worth watching, but the box is hella small and you can still stream from the major companies (netflix,hulu,crackle,Foxnews, etc..)

Mke

We haven't had CATV or satellite for just over 2 yrs. We watch over the air free tv, netflix streaming, and rent movies on occasion from amazon.com. I use a small Home Theater PC as a DVR for the local channels and for streaming content from the internet.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Bump... Is Roku still the cool thing to get or is there something newer and more awesome out there now?

Any thoughts would be helpful. The cable company just isn't cutting it anymore.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Isn't the term "Cutting the cord" kinda misleading?

I mean unless you are living under a public WiFi or freeloading from a neighbor, how are you cutting the cord?

I'm with Comcast and if I drop the TV, they will raise the price of my internet. Start adding streaming services and renting more movies, I have to stop ask, am I really saving that much?

I like Netflix but they don't carry current content. So now I have to pay for a service that shows current stuff.
    OK so now I get Hulu Plus and that takes care of what I can't watch with an antenna. But wait I also gotta have my HBO and Starz too. I Shell out more money.
    When it all adds up you could be paying as much or more when you had TV.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elvee View Post
    Isn't the term "Cutting the cord" kinda misleading?

I mean unless you are living under a public WiFi or freeloading from a neighbor, how are you cutting the cord?

I'm with Comcast and if I drop the TV, they will raise the price of my internet. Start adding streaming services and renting more movies, I have to stop ask, am I really saving that much?

I like Netflix but they don't carry current content. So now I have to pay for a service that shows current stuff.
    OK so now I get Hulu Plus and that takes care of what I can't watch with an antenna. But wait I also gotta have my HBO and Starz too. I Shell out more money.
    When it all adds up you could be paying as much or more when you had TV.

The one positive is that you are not locked into long contracts with stars,HBO, and the others. Keep it for a month or not, no cancellation fees. Besides, Comcast are assholes.

Steve, the roku is still good, but there are tons of other options as well. Chrome cast, Amazon has a stick, apple, etc...

They all offer about the same, some you control with your smart phone
    Mke

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i have been trying to get off the catv, dish thing. My problem is for me to watch my favorite NFL team I had to get a long distance outside antenna. If i go back to charter they carry IL channels since charter goes also into IL so I get my football. With the NFL on nfl network and espn I have to stay with catv or dish. Unless i want to go to a bar and watch the game. I see now HBO can be gotten without having a dish or catv. They have an app now. I am more than 100 miles from chicago but NHL network still blocks it's channel here. I might break down next year and buy nhl center ice package. We have netflix but we also on their old program where we get 3 dvd's and streaming. streaming doesn't have all the new stuff. might drop the dvd and go to the streaming and use redbox or the movies. In order to get internet through charter it is either $60 or $30 if i bundle and I do not need the phone. $30 is only for one year. i use century link dsl and 10 megs. i do not game or watch a lot of movies on line so it works for me. I stay with dish because of the hopper dvr. i get like 2K hours of recording I record all the things i want and watch them when i get home from work. No one comes close to that. I lowered it to 200 channels and dish has free movie channels as perks every so often

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12