Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditching Cable Service

Years of Experience

Default Ditching Cable Service

I'm getting sick of the crazy prices we pay for CATV. We have had netflix for a while now and stream it through our Wii. In the summer months we don't watch much tv and have decided to cancel our cable service at least for the summer.

I just ordered a Roku so we'll use the Roku to stream HD netflix and use all the free channels on the Roku plus use an HD antenna for local channels. I've already bought and found that it is amazing how clear of a picture and how many channels we get just through the antenna alone.

Has anyone else ditched CATV? We should save about 70/month.
    Last edited by Goldenboy; March 18th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Default Re: Ditching Cable Service

I ditched CATV a couple years ago. I went to DirecTV, they had an awesome deal at the time, and I just renewed the same deal last month. I have two antennae outside pointing in opposite directions for the other locals I can't get on sat.

This time of year gets really good with antenna viewing, I am picking up tv station from Tennessee, Viriginia, Delaware and Maryland.

For video on demand, I have my sat box connected to my high speed internet (from catv company at 19.99 a month for 16mpbs+) to download video on demand, plus I rent from the red box kiosk when there is something new coming out.

CATV and landline telephone are taxed way too much these days, and the taxes only keep increasing.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience
    lifetime

i have never owned a tv, don't watch one much when i'm around one. didn't get a computer until nov. 08.

last time i watched more than a couple of hours of tv was when oj simpson was doing the low speed chase thing,
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    i have never owned a tv, don't watch one much when i'm around one. didn't get a computer until nov. 08.

last time i watched more than a couple of hours of tv was when oj simpson was doing the low speed chase thing,
    No wonder you don't watch much TV!!! : )
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    i have never owned a tv,
    The reason we decided to do this was that last year our tv in the living room broke and it was a warranty issue so we wound up going 3 months without a tv. It was in the middle of the summer so it wasn't that big of a deal but not seeing the news or weather was wierd. We listened to the radio for the weather and news. With having Netflix and the antenna we'll still be able to watch the news and movies.

In the summer time we don't watch much tv because of longer work hours,kids sports, and just spending time outdoors. WI winters leave us too much time for the tv.

Years of Experience
    30+

Sorry Viners, I can't live without my FioS TV. I DVR all the shows I like and watch them later FF through the commercials. I have to watch the news and weather. Other then that I ride my ATV for fun and relaxation.

We havent had cable/sat for 5 yrs or so now..
    Our latest generation of media is now a netbook with hdmi output at the living room. It streams a Netflix sub for movies, plus we can Youtube or anything else net related (no limit really). All our pics and recorded stuff as well as the entire audio collection sits on another pc in the lan, and we use an app on the netbook to browse that as well.
    (May you live in interesting times)

If I just had to pay for like the 5 to 8 channels I ACTUALLY watch, my cable bill would be $20 dollars a month, that includes the phone and internet..............lol.

But you HAVE to pay for 14 Jesus channels, 10 Spanish Channels and a bunch of other crap you would NEVER think of watching.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    If I just had to pay for like the 5 to 8 channels I ACTUALLY watch, my cable bill would be $20 dollars a month, that includes the phone and internet..............lol.

But you HAVE to pay for 14 Jesus channels, 10 Spanish Channels and a bunch of other crap you would NEVER think of watching.
    The FCC won't allow the cable co's to use ala carte billing here like they have in Canada, I wish it was available.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post

But I HAVE to pay for 14 Jesus channels, 10 Spanish Channels and a bunch of other crap I would NEVER think of watching.
    Amen Brother! I attend church regularly and I feel sorry for the mislead gullible who put a "Christian" faith in the TV "Prosperity Pimps;" the dangerous charlatan preachers promoting "Christless Christianity" through their "Name it and Claim it," "Health and Wealth" and "Prayer Cloth and Snake Oil" salesmanship. Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyers, Pat Robertson, TD Jakes, Creflo "Send Me Your" Dollar, Paul Crouch, Rod Parsley, Peter Poppoff, Robert Tilton, Joel Olsteen, Rick Warren, Billy Graham, Kenneth Copeland, Oral Roberts, Robert Schuller, Bishop Fulton Sheen, Jimmy Swaggart, John Hagee and many, many more. The lost, who is searching for "Truth," will never get it from these swindlers. The real tragedy is these frauds turn multitudes away from Christianity.

These heretics will get their just reward in the end; just as Christ wielded a whip to drive the money-changers, merchants, and beggars from the temple.

------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

HOLY CRAP !!!!! I've seen the light................... I'm ditching the DISH, cutting the CABLE and tuning out. No more for this kid....
    I'm as mad as Hell and I'm Not Going To Take This Any More!!!!!!??????!!!!!!
    I got to go, it's almost time for Judge Joe Brown

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm looking into getting the Roku. How do you like it? Any complaints?

Anyone else use a Roku?

I see that netflix advertises $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming of movies and tv through the Roku (or any other device). Is that true unlimited? So, for $7.99 I can actually watch netflix 24 hours a day?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Each streaming account with Netflix allows up to either 3 or 4 devices at one time. I stream Netflix in the living room on the widescreen through my Wii and have a Sony Netbox in my bedroom. I can start watching a movie on the widescreen, stop it and then go into the bedroom and finish watching it.

You can also stream to your computer or to a smartphone now.

As long as Adam-12 and Dragent 67 are on Netflix, that's what I'll be watching....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Next month I have to make that decision. Like most of you I only watch a dozen or so channels but have to pay for 150 of them. I talked to someone about that and I was told it was a licensing problem. The FCC will not let CATV/satellite let a person pay for the service per channel. One reason is the smaller ones would never have anyone check them out and such. They always promote a low as $19.99 package. By time I get the channels I wants I always have to go with a 200 channel package and it is $40-50. If I stick with CATV for my internet I will have to replace my 10/100 modem. In looking into alternative did run across something they do not tell you about. Licensing agreements, if you have a PS# or Wii you can only get certain channels and the same with a blue ray device. the best is to go through your computer and hook it up to your tv. At best buy you can get an inside HDTV antenna I think it was $60, it has a range of 35 miles I think. their outside one goes for about $100-150 and gets you 65 miles.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Netfix has been getting some heat on their streaming thing. They have about 1/3 of what they offer from their DVD library. There is fear that like HBO and Showtime will not offer their series and such. Also some movie firms will not release the movies until they are out of DVD for a while as to not interfere with their DVD sales. i had trouble with buffering onto my Wii but that could be to a lot of people in the house also streaming of that I have a10/100 modem. I have not researched the roku yet. I thought that was a box and service you got through radio shack. There is Vudo but you pay per episode and can be pricey. There is Hulu and Huluplus that certain blue ray players get. I have heard of a site like mysatellitetv.com, but have not checked it out yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast