Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Digital Camera for Personal Use?

Years of Experience

Question Digital Camera for Personal Use?

Howdy partners.

I'm looking for suggestions for a digital camera. Something cheap, but not cheap, if you know what I mean. Under $100 would be nice... I don't have a smart phone.

I am taking my kid to Mexico in a few months for 8 days and I would like to carry something really thin/small in my pocket all the time. I will probably take about 10 pics a day, maybe more. Something I can whip out, point and click. I won't be taking close up pictures of butterflies or flowers or anything like that... just something to show friends or post on FB. Not interested in video. I figured some of you might be familiar with good cameras.

What I am thinking for around 90 bucks:

Nikon COOLPIX S3600 Digital Camera | Compact Digital Camera from Nikon

Did I find a good one?

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Digital Camera for Personal Use?

Mark I have a camera I will sell you for $50 + shipping.

Canon PowerShot A590 IS review - CNET
    Mark and yahoo like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Howdy partners.

I would like to carry something really thin/small in my pocket all the time.:
    Reduction surgury and be what polite women refer to as 'comfortable"?
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

UULC beat me to it. I've purchased a couple Canon Powershots over the years and I've always been happy with them.

I don't have one to sell but I have no problem recommending them.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; August 15th, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Howdy partners.

I'm looking for suggestions for a digital camera. Something cheap, but not cheap, if you know what I mean. Under $100 would be nice... I don't have a smart phone.

I am taking my kid to Mexico in a few months for 8 days and I would like to carry something really thin/small in my pocket all the time. I will probably take about 10 pics a day, maybe more. Something I can whip out, point and click. I won't be taking close up pictures of butterflies or flowers or anything like that... just something to show friends or post on FB. Not interested in video. I figured some of you might be familiar with good cameras.

What I am thinking for around 90 bucks:

Nikon COOLPIX S3600 Digital Camera | Compact Digital Camera from Nikon

Did I find a good one?
    Here is my theory on finding something good. Amazon.com is very handy even if you don't purchase from them. They have the review feature which should tell you if it is a camera worth the money. The Canon Powershots get around 4 stars where the coolpix is getting around 3.5 stars.
    Mark likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Mark I have a camera I will sell you for $50 + shipping.

Canon PowerShot A590 IS review - CNET
    Nice.

That camera gets some decent reviews. Almost too nice for what I am looking for.

Do you have a lot of miles on it? Would it fit good in the front pocket of a pair of shorts?

Years of Experience
    30+

Actually it has very few miles. It has way too many options. I only like point and shoot cameras. The only nice thing I liked about it was it shoots burst shots. Way to many mp's to email. I have tried to set at lowest setting but still too big file for more then 2 photos.

I have not been happy with it. It is too smart for me.

It fits nicely into shit pocket, pants.
    Last edited by UULC; August 16th, 2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: add sentenance

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post

It fits nicely into shit pocket, pants.
    Dude, don't carry that stuff around in your pockets, even if you have a special one reserved for it.
    yahoo and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

Thats kind of what I was trying to avoid, fancy smancy camera's that I can't figure out. I need one that's dumbed down a bit more, like me. I appreciate the offer though, UULC.

I plan to bring my iPad air with me but even that thing would be a pain to lug around with me everywhere.

I saw a waterproof/shockproof camera in the bargain bin at my Sam's club for $150 (50 bucks off), but even that is a bit more than what I need.

FinePix XP70 | XP Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

Years of Experience
    30+

Prolo, That was to be SHIRT pocket. I have a safety survey vest that has a bunch of pockets. It has 4 places to carry paint, ped wrench rag for sweat.

Mike I have seen a back pack made for Ipads. I am still at laptop mode. I do have a Galaxy S5 but quit using it as was eating up my data amount and I kept going over. I do not know how to use it.
    Last edited by UULC; August 16th, 2014 at 10:02 AM.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Mark, you may want to use this opportunity to upgrade your camera phone. Most of them are as clear as digital cameras anymore. One less thing to carry since you probably already have a cell. One less thing to worry about getting broken or stolen. The last place I worked for was too slow to replace cameras and I wound up using my phone camera. Got so used to it, I didn't even want the new one after while

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Mark, you may want to use this opportunity to upgrade your camera phone. Most of them are as clear as digital cameras anymore. One less thing to carry since you probably already have a cell. One less thing to worry about getting broken or stolen. The last place I worked for was too slow to replace cameras and I wound up using my phone camera. Got so used to it, I didn't even want the new one after while
    That would be a good idea Daman, but I don't have a smart phone. I don't even own a cell phone. I have a free google voice # for texting. I have heard of people getting raped for roaming charges when in Mexico too. The hotel I'm staying at will have wifi for my iPad (for 37 bucks)... I connect to the online world via iPad only.

I just said the hell with it and ordered this one from Amazon:

Amazon.com : Canon PowerShot A2500 16MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red) : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

I get sick of looking and searching for hours and hours so I just ordered one. It was ranked high on some site so I went with it. For 90 bucks I think it will do the trick.

I'll try to remember this thread after I get back and post some pics of my trip I took with my el cheapo camera. I warn you tho- I am a sexy bastard.

Years of Experience

Cancel that order Mark! I have just the answer=take me along I will bring my camera take all the pics you want and you won't have to ask strangers to take photos of you and your son. I don't eat much but I can drink my fair share. imo a much better answer that buying a camera.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience
    too many

Mark , Heath provides us with the olympus stylus 630 they are water proof and shock proff. They fit in your pocket nicely and you can run hig def videos with them . I like it so much i went out and got myself one from amazon for 70 bucks. I ve used it underwater, in very low light, at concerts for video and i Love it !
    Mark likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    Mark , Heath provides us with the olympus stylus 630 they are water proof and shock proff. They fit in your pocket nicely and you can run hig def videos with them . I like it so much i went out and got myself one from amazon for 70 bucks. I ve used it underwater, in very low light, at concerts for video and i Love it !
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Sounds like a nice camera! That would be nice to have one that is shock proof. I'll probably drop this thing 50 times... I knew I would find out about something better after I placed my order... just the kind of luck I have! Thanks again Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast