Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you see this e-mail?

Default Did you see this e-mail?

To My Fellow Locators

After today I will no longer be an employee here at USIC. With that said I
    would like to take a few minutes of your time to express my feelings/thoughts
    and encourage you. The heart of the company to get what you deserve. The only
    way you will be able to accomplish this is to organize and become a union of
    locators. Each and every locator should be compensated and valued for what they
    do for USIC. Right now we are undervalued and under compensated all while being
    overworked. I know some of you may be skeptical or question whether a union is
    the right way to go. As a person who will not gain anything whether or not USIC
    locators organize It can be unbiased, but I truly believe you must come together
    and vote “YES” to a union. Those of you who are unsure or have a negative
    attitude towards this issue are most likely just misinformed or under informed.
    All you need to do is ask and there will be an answer to what your worries are.
    If you ask the company they will say the union doesn’t care about you they just
    want your money…. When was the last time this company gave a crap about you or
    what you did with your money. Many of you ask “What can a union do for us?” or
    “Why are there no guarantees set in place before we organize?” The answer is
    simple. Until we vote to organize we cannot express what we need, deserve, or
    want to the union or USIC. We as locators will all decide what we all feel are
    right because we are the union. Right now USIC is not a place that cares about
    what any of us want as long as we make them money. USIC says they care about you
    and your family but why did they not give raises with the small bonus. Why do
    they tell us that we have to work the weekends to stay ahead of the game when
    they say the care about family time. Why did they give us one of the worst
    insurance plans I have ever seen or been a part of. Why do we no longer get
    anything for being on call when we are asked to be on so much more often. Why
    are we told to do the job the right way but then get 30+ tickets in one day to
    do? For all of you that say that the one thing a union can promise me is that I
    have to pay dues you are wrong. A union will make us have written rules that we
    can actually see and we will have a contract. We will not be fired for no reason
    what so ever like many of our fellow locators. A union is a way to put us as
    locators in charge of our own future and not in fear that every day is our last.

This was sent out and then just vanished out of my e-mail.

Default Re: Did you see this e-mail?

As one infamous Supervisor from the NC- J-ville area would say -

"O come on now"

as in its not so bad...

So come on drink the kool-aid and carry that cross...

Years of Experience

Yes, I see this, and wonder what I am doing. I have worked in many fields, all of which I strive to be better at daily. This is the only field I have ever worked where I work hard to gain more, but seem to be paddling with a spoon against the current. I feel this person's pain, and am currently on a search for other avenues of employment. I can't be a part of something I don't believe in at this time, and would gladly take a small pay cut if it meant being a part of something where I felt valued.

Corporate got a hold to this and disabled everyones email for a few minutes, then erased email like nothing happened

Please forward the email to who ever may not have gotten it, and or give me emails so I can forward it. Just to inform everyone there was many locators with these thoughts. I simply compiled all thoughts together to form this email. This was just an opportunity for me to send for everyone to see because we all know I would have been fired if I hadn't quit already. So if any of you would like more information I am here to help.

Years of Experience

I've been in the locate biz for over 16 years. It's what I do. I still love the job. I've been a top pay guy for years because I do the job right.
    I've never been in a union. That being said, this is what I believe to be true-
    Will a union take part of my check to be a member of a union? Yes.
    Can a union get me more money? Not one penny more. Nope.Nada. Zip.
    Can a union make my insurance premiums go down? I can't understand how.
    I'm not against unions. I just need someone to explain to me that what I believe to be true isn't.

I worked in a union state for over 10 years and the union for locators never did anything for their members but protect the lazy ones from being fired on the spot. When push came to shove, the company always won. We do not need a union to make a point. If you do not like what the company is doing then all of you need to pick a day and do nothing at work. You have to hit them where it hurts, their pockets. No need to send the union any dues!

I put it on here so others could see. Everyone has different feelings about Usic or the Union, alot of people are truly misinformed on alot of things but that's how it usually goes. You probably pissed some big wigs off but damn it wsa funny. Bout fell out of my truck when I read it. Spot On. a
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerLocator View Post
    Please forward the email to who ever may not have gotten it, and or give me emails so I can forward it. Just to inform everyone there was many locators with these thoughts. I simply compiled all thoughts together to form this email. This was just an opportunity for me to send for everyone to see because we all know I would have been fired if I hadn't quit already. So if any of you would like more information I am here to help.

Years of Experience

Lol everyone saw it. We all knew they would pull it though. Whoes the jackass who responded to it?

Before they shut me down I had roughly 40 replys.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Union is not the way to go. All your efforts and union dues will be gone when the contract is renewed with a new company. Its that simple. When you are out of work nobody from the union will call you to come out and join them for a beer and a little camaraderie.

The ONLY way to get the money and respect you deserve is to become in demand. You are not in demand because you can be replaced at the drop of a hat. An ad on any job site will bring in applications all day long. 1-2 weeks of training and you have been replaced.

To be in demand you have to be trained and certified/licensed and I don't mean by the company who hired you but by a regulating agency. One that oversees Utility Locating as a profession. That is the only way to get what you deserve.

The Union won't get it for you as long as contract locating is the way it is. If you work for a utility as a locator, that is one thing. But, as a contract locator you are at the mercy of the contract. Sure, there are exceptions here and there but in general you won't see much, if anything.

Ask the union rep if they would forgo all those union dues until they get you better pay, better insurance, and better working conditions. They will laugh at you even though it sounds pretty fair.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Instead of putting all of your hopes and dreams in the empty promises of union reps why don't you use that time and effort to write to your local Representatives about your industry and the complete lack of oversight. Fiber optics that supply emergency services, hospitals, Government buildings, communication hubs etc... are being located by people who just learned what a fiber optic line is. Gas lines that could explode if damaged under the right conditions are being located by people who don't give a shit because they feel worthless and there is no sense of importance passed down by their supervisors and managers. Power lines that could kill the 'shovel man' in an instant are being located by someone who has 30-40 more tickets to do and it is already noon.

Does your Representative and Congressman know that the lives and welfare of people are on the line everyday by Utility Locators and these locators are trained in a week or two and then thrown out into the field with limited supervision? That many lines are mismarked and found accidentally by the excavator with no damage at all and luckily no personal injury?

I believe Senator Frank Lautenberg is involved in this industry... http://lautenberg.senate.gov/contact/

If everyone who reads this took an evening and sat down and wrote out their thoughts on the industry, the lack of oversite which in turn creates the fly by night conditions that exist in some companies, the incidents they've witnessed and read about, and the extreme importance of our line of work, then maybe you will be on the way to getting that respect you deserve.

Write a letter that is from the heart and sincere. Make copies of it and send it to anyone you can think of. Maybe someone trying to make a name for themselves will take up the cause.

Truly, this is the only way to get what you want.

I'm editing to add this: I will do it and I will post about it after I've done it. I would publish the letter but any letter you send out has to be unique and in your own words. I don't want mine copied and sent out. When that happens people don't take your letter as seriously.

I am challenging everyone else to do the same. If you are a person that comes on here and complains and waits for the union to make things better for you, then you are also the perfect candidate to take up this challenge. I will start a new thread on this subject when I do it. I've been posting about it for months, even years now and I haven't made any efforts myself. Well, it is time for me to put up or shut up.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; August 21st, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

to the guy that sent out the email...................I truly hope you have a better day tomorrow. ...that was the type of day I had too!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FormerLocator View Post
    Before they shut me down I had roughly 40 replys.
    plz post the replys if possible.I would love to read them. exluding the names ofcourse.

Years of Experience

yes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast