Thread: Dazed and Confused

Default Dazed and Confused

I work in western Kansas and we brought in several out of town guys and girls to help. Did we need this help? No. But they are here anyway. Now we have no work. Could they just have let us regular people who run this area maybe have a little OT? No, of course not. Instead we spend $ 100 dollars a day on hotel and food for these guys to do the work that I would normally do. They are taking my tickets and giving them to the out of town people. I am not sure if I will have work tomorrow or not. I have been here over 7 years and I am starting to wonder if President Obama is running this district. Because it is a total cluster f_uck!

Default Re: Dazed and Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I work in western Kansas and we brought in several out of town guys and girls to help. Did we need this help? No. But they are here anyway. Now we have no work. Could they just have let us regular people who run this area maybe have a little OT? No, of course not. Instead we spend $ 100 dollars a day on hotel and food for these guys to do the work that I would normally do. They are taking my tickets and giving them to the out of town people. I am not sure if I will have work tomorrow or not. I have been here over 7 years and I am starting to wonder if President Obama is running this district. Because it is a total cluster f_uck!
    thats pretty crazy i know a few crews that sometimes get up to 600 tickets with just a hand full of techs and it seems like they can't get out of town help, just other crews from the district do a pressgang to put a few people over there to help.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    There is a circumstance where this makes good business sense.

If they came from an area that had a sudden unexpected decline in work. That instead of laying off these people, and probably not being able to get them back when they need them, they send them to an area there is work.

Few people, and too few bosses, know that a good locator costs the company hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop. This industry is not for everybody plus we get people with no intention of doing an honest days work so attrition is high. Then we have the people who never get the hang of it and damage out. To get one good locator takes going through 7 to 10 people. The money spent on them is lost and most of them never make a profit for the company. Add up all the damages that occurred with those lost people and add that to the cost of developing a good locator. Even that good locator took a period of time of low production, no profit, and higher damages than now.

I guesstimate a good locator takes about $200,000 to develop and if they leave then the company lost that investment and must spend it again to develop a replacement, $400,000 total loss.

Yet when it comes to paying a decent production bonus or damage free bonus most employers wince at the thought of spending a few thousand dollars to protect their $400,000 investment.

They also wince at a decent sign on bonus for an experienced locator. Imagine saving your
    firm $200,000 and costing your competitor $400,000, over half a million dollars on the table, and not doing this thinking a few thousand dollars is too much to spend for this.

So if there is alack of work in the area those locators came from then the company is trying to protect several million dollars worth of locators.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

I guesstimate a good locator takes about $200,000 to develop and if they leave then the company lost that investment and must spend it again to develop a replacement, $400,000 total loss.

Yet when it comes to paying a decent production bonus or damage free bonus most employers wince at the thought of spending a few thousand dollars to protect their $400,000 investment.

They also wince at a decent sign on bonus for an experienced locator. Imagine saving your
    firm $200,000 and costing your competitor $400,000, over half a million dollars on the table, and not doing this thinking a few thousand dollars is too much to spend for this.

So if there is alack of work in the area those locators came from then the company is trying to protect several million dollars worth of locators.
    can i ship you to indiana and have you argue for everyone's raise? lol it sounds really good the way you present it.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech