Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Daily Beef

Years of Experience

Default Re: The Daily Beef

Geez, the drill was just joke! lol Although I have been thinking about throwing one of mine in the truck.

Years of Experience

The flag pounder I got was from the local gas company and it by better than the ones we get through the company, it has lasted over ten years.I have used it for everything from a flag pounder to a ground rod depending on how frozen the ground is.

Years of Experience
    30+

My flag insertion tool. But I do not have to deal with frozen ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hpim1291.jpg   hpim1292.jpg   hpim1293.jpg  

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Our company cheaped out and won't buy us cordless drills anymore. I refuse to keep spending my own money on stuff for work so we pound each flag in by making a hole first with a screwdriver and hammer or a flag pounder. I have been spending more time flagging than locating. My "work" cordless drill broke last year, it had lasted me about 5 years. I will use my personal drill from time to time if my elbow hurts really bad. Pounding flags in with that pounder is a comp. claim waiting to happen.

Here's a flag pounder for those that don't know. It pretty much just an overgrown slide hammer.
    "Please stay away from gas lines or power lines"
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

LOL... yeah, don't hit a line pounding in flags.

oops, too late....pstssssssssssssssssss
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

damn, where do you guys work that you need to pound in flags like that? Or drill?!?!? I've done locates on solid heat baked clay like rock and could still fling the flags into it. DEEP.

Do you use plastic flags or something? That's gotta SUCK!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    damn, where do you guys work that you need to pound in flags like that? Or drill?!?!? I've done locates on solid heat baked clay like rock and could still fling the flags into it. DEEP.

Do you use plastic flags or something? That's gotta SUCK!
    Ground has 3' of frost, some flags are plastic. I can really, really, really sucketh.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

The "John speak" started coming out there in the end.
    ifinditunderground - "Conservative Ass"

Hmmm... advanceman. locatethis. MrPittsburg. ijaylocate. jjdynomite. It makes me wonder........

--------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; March 2nd, 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

MY TRUCK WITH ONLY 9000miles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was already leaking some oil...

So I took it in to get it fixed under warranty at GM before they went bust just in case... well the service guy said it was 1 bolt leaking that needed recemented...

I have diesel certification and worked in a machine shop for a few years...

NEVER,NEVER has 1 bolt needing tightened been the proper diagnosis for a frikin engine oil leak...

I also owned a Ranger some years back and had the same issue(aluminum pan steel block sometimes not a good combo or may just be factory RTV F-UP) but they pulled the pan and made the thorough repair... Times have changed I spose...

So I have put about 300miles since having it in and decided to do a little detail crap to the truck and take a gander underneath...

Well low and behold a fresh golden glistening drop formed between the pan and the tranny housing...

So i got the survey recently for the work performed and decided to wait er out for a few hundred miles... I decided to add this as a comment a little while ago-

I have diesel certification from a trade school and did engine work in my past... The service individual was questioned over what repair was performed to stop the oil leak...He described one oil pan bolt needed tightened and recemented... This is never the typical case in an oil leak... We all know, or at least should be QUALIFIED to know, that a seal has been compromised... I even questioned the service individual over this repair being a legitimate fix and wanted to know how long this repair was warranted...He didnt quote a time, but just bring it in and we will take care of it... I know you can bring a vehicle in to be taken care of, but I dont want to pay for the proper repair after my warranty has expired...At 9000miles and an engine leaking oil, I want the seal that is leaking fixed properly...I dont want some chewing gum repair job to tide my vehicle over until I have to pay an outrageous cost a year from now...

Lets see where it leads...

A new stir ... aaahhh!!!! heaven...

They just dont know who they are dealing with...

HHEHEEEHEEEE HAAAA!!!!

Last edited by USIC1; June 7th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

i guess is should stop bitching we get a monthly cash bonus if we remain damage free

Quote Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
    i guess is should stop bitching we get a monthly cash bonus if we remain damage free
    I know some other Consolidated guys that really love that bonus money. It really does help for a lot of guys.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Todays daily beef is utility companies who can't make up their mind if they want high quaility or cheap labor. You'd think they'd know by now you can't have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Todays daily beef is utility companies who can't make up their mind if they want high quaility or cheap labor. You'd think they'd know by now you can't have both.
    That's just it. They want both, but they still want to bid out at 5 bucks a ticket. At least a few have started to wake up and realize that you just can't do a quality locate for that, but there is always someone in the wings willing to lowball a bid to get a foot in the door that drives others to lower the bid they put in. I't a vicious cycle. But you are absolutely right Goldenboy, the old saying still holds true... You get what you pay for.

You can have a high quality product.
    You can have a speedy product.
    You can have a cheap product.
    You can only have two of the three above at the same time.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

I believe it is wrong to assume that Consolidated could not match USIC for quality. I know quite a few CU locators who have been doing the job for quite a number of years who used to work for companies like SM&P and CLS. But they've also worked for the same utility that I just lost my job from. They have solid experience locating gas and electric. So go ahead and hate WE if you like but they don't owe you a living. Reality, yes, so deal with it!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast