Thread: Curious, what DOES your employee handbook say?

Years of Experience

Default Curious, what DOES your employee handbook say?

It may sound strange, but my handbook says NOTHING about locating, or even describes what you should do on a normal day. I have been doing this task for a company that does not know what I do. My question is simple. What does your handbook say bout your job?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Curious, what DOES your employee handbook say?

The employee handbook is a generic document for all the employees of a specific firm. It has to cover locators, office staff, fleet people, etc.. Individual rules and policy for each subgroup is made the the mangers of those groups.

Years of Experience

Right, now the question I am asking I guess is where do you find a list of the rules, regulations, and what to do's? If for instance, you are told to do something by your higher up, but you feel that it does not sound right, where do you find this?

Mine says the use of lube is optional.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you are looking for a "Black and White" version of the handbook that lays out exactly what to do in any given situation.... No company has it.

There is a few ways to handle a situation where you are asked to do something that you don't think is acceptable. A) Don't do it, and deal with the fallout. B) Don't do it, and raise a stink to the higher ups that you are asked to do something that you feel is against your better judgement. C) Do it and Deal with the Fallout. D) Do it, but let everyone know you were specifically asked to do it and by whom you were asked.

All have their pluses and minuses. You have to weigh the pro's and Con's of each depending on what is asked of you.

I typically go with D. As long as it doesn't go against any moral compass I have. If I have a supperior tell me to do something I do it. But I let everyone know it wasn't my decision. I have been in the situation that I was asked to go against my moral judgement and I stood with my decision. I got a little flak at first, but eventually they came back around and understood why I was adamant about my decision. They havn't asked anything questionable since.

The most important thing to understand is that the company will never write any guidelines that are Specific. Ever rule or guideline needs to be in the grey area for legal interpretation. The court cases are won by who can afford the best lawyers to interpret the laws or rules. Very rarely will it swing to the other side.

Mke

In the case of "a very large nationwide locating firm that had 3 letters".... there was issues of employees being told to clock out BEFORE finishing up any "paperwork" at the end of the day. Paperwork that consisted of notes on tickets, film documentation, notes on contractors' needs, etc. The company was responsible for paying overtime due to locators sitting in their trucks at the end of each day doing company business off the clock. This led to a class action lawsuit by employees of this company nationwide because of the illegality of what the company was asking the employees to do. The best course of action in that case was to opt to do what you were told and document every instance of impropriety that you felt was against your better judgment. This documentation was ultimately used in the case and the company was found negligent.

When in doubt, do what is asked and document EVERYTHING! Unless asked to put yourself or someone else in a dangerous position where safety is compromised.

My employee handbook basically says "Here are 40 pages of different ways we can fire you."

Years of Experience
    30+

I have yet to see a employee hand book. Some guys that have been here for 7 years have never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I have yet to see a employee hand book. Some guys that have been here for 7 years have never seen one.
    Our company does them online. No one ever tells you where to find it or to even read it, but it's pretty easy to find on our website. I happened upon it one day and read it just out of curiosity. Everyone I work with and I myself should be fired according to it for any number of random unenforced rule violations.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by threephase View Post
    Our company does them online. No one ever tells you where to find it or to even read it, but it's pretty easy to find on our website. I happened upon it one day and read it just out of curiosity. Everyone I work with and I myself should be fired according to it for any number of random unenforced rule violations.
    And they expect everyone to take contract locating seriously!

But seriously, here is the unofficial employee handbook:

1. Find a way to make yourself look better than everyone around you. If you have to steal, cheat and lie to do it, who are we to judge? We don't know shit about locating, so.....

2. Do whatever you can to make "us" look good. If it means throwing a contractor, competitor, municipal employee, hell...even the customer under the bus in a damage scenario....really, who are we to judge? We don't know shit about locating anyway, so.....

3. It's all about revenue. Or the appearance of revenue. It's not about public safety, the community, you or your family or crew, or even the customer. Revenue. Period. Trust us on this. This we do know. Revenue. It is the Alpha....and the Omega.