Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Cruisin' tunes

Default Re: Cruisin' tunes

Lifeson's a very good guitarist, but Emmett is better. That must have been an awesome experience getting to that concert. I've seen Triumph 3 times. Once in a small club, once in an ampitheater, and once in a large arena. Small club was the best. Front row.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Well dave, you seem to have it in for me,,yah you're right, I only speak from my musical realm, alberta is pretty diverse. You're off on my age.. As a guitar player, growing up with with guys like Randy Rhoads, george lynch, yngwie, and all the other cool players of the80's, I could only keep going with metal. That old shit is just too slow and mellow, doesn't have the anger or aggression i like. technically it's not that challenging to me any ways. Metal has become it's own genre as opposed to what it was 20 yrs ago. I cant keep up. I know most of the new bands, ansd there's just so many awesome musicians these days it's not like before. If it were anywhere from 1975-1995, and you heard my guitar playing, you might say I was awesome.. I'm no slouch, I know my scales ,arpeggios, I'm great at making up rythm on the fly, and I can play in almost any metal(or blues/rock) band. but the kids these days are insane. i've learned a lot from the NewWaveOF AmericanHeavyMetal in the past few years. I don't care for technical for the sake of technical, or constant weird time changes for that same reason. Thats' what it's become, a contest to see who can play the fastest, with the most technicality. Even in the mosh pits, the crowds don/t quite know what to do cuz these guys are changinf\g their time so often. It's almost become nerd music in some ways since half the guys now are quasi metal jazz musicians. I prefer the old school rythms, lots of blast beats, head bangin shit. ..
    You guys speak like every other guy ten to 15 yrs my senior, you don't quite understand metal. thats from growing up it the 70's.

@advance.. I think you have a good point there. I was b in '65 so I became 'aware' of music in say mid 70's. Back then, it was all in your radio.. so it depended on what radio stations you had etc. Nowdays, its all net and sharing for the kids I guess.. pretty different. I still remember my parents bringing me to a record store and allowing me to make my own pick. I picked Chicago 4 (think it was called, the one with the leather looking jacket). I knew the name from the radio play I guess.

There was some pretty good hard rock that would have been around when I was in the learning stages.. but did my fav radio station play them ? I dunno. Maybe they leaned towards Fleetwood Mac etc. It was about the same age that I found out about Rush.. by best friend's older brother was into them, had a bunch of albums, and we dared play them when he wasnt around. The sound was unlike what I had heard on the radio up till then.

I remember hearing Motorhead when I was fairly young, and I didnt like them too much.. too much clutter. I suppose that was just a choice I made at some point and it filtered me since.

We were working in the yard today, and by chance I put on Octane on the Sirius.. they still play some good heavy rock, but then some yelling fast paced tune came on and I ended up flipping it over to the 70's channel.

I sorta wonder what my 2 young boys will get into for music. We keep the Rap music away from their ears anyhow.. lol. The 6 yr old seems to like pop tunes, but the 2 yr old gravitates to power chords.. got him playin air guitar already, its pretty cool.

My apologies for guessing too young an age for ya, advance. Cant be past 35 though.. At some point a person realizes that they're not invincible (be it foes or govt or disease) and tends to settle in.. getting married and/or having kids tends to speed it up. You do msg like a hothead 20 something though. Heck, we've all been there.

Cool that you're into guitar. We have a good bud (in Red Deer now actually) that was lead guitar and main vocal for a regional country band around here. They drew good crowds b/c of their party flavor. The drummer was actually from Coney Hatch. He still used to entertain us at parties/bonfires with some crowd-following favs.. get the crowd going and you can have some fun with it. Many a good hoot there.

I have a Yamaha keyboard that I midi to the pc here, and make some decent tune 'hooks' that entertain me. Its just playin around, but Id like to join those joint-effort sites where you take the existing product by many ppl and add your own input to share etc. Seems like a cool way to share some input.
    (May you live in interesting times)

For those who have had a chance to hear them yet, check out a band named "Chikenfoot" (for a limited time side project).
    It's Michael Anthony on Bass, Chad Smith on drums, Sammy Hagar on vocals and Joe Satriani on guitar!
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    For those who have had a chance to hear them yet, check out a band named "Chikenfoot" (for a limited time side project).
    It's Michael Anthony on Bass, Chad Smith on drums, Sammy Hagar on vocals and Joe Satriani on guitar!
    Ticket go on sale next week for the concert here. My wife and I will be there. Saw Sammy and MA the last year. For and old 60 yo, Sammy sure can still kick some ass.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

My wife and I will also be going to see them this summer. If you go to thier website, you can download the album for $3.99 (US) until June 15th. Beats the $9.99 iTunes price. The bonus track Bitten By The Wolf is awesome.

"I said hey operator, make your telephone talk to me.."neow neow neow new neow(Guitar effects)

Heard a bit, not my thing really. @ Beyond...I AM impressed with your knowledge of older Canadian bands especially for a twenty something? You know more about them than me. Even though I like different shit, people who music means something to are good.

Dave,

This is the shit I ve played for the past few years. Check these songs out on limewire or something. 1 whole step down, drop low e to d(C I think) Or, standard tuning, 2 steps I think. (I prefer drop).

Amon Amarth(melodic viking black metal)

Bleed For Ancient Gods
    Twilight Of The Thunder God
    The Last With Pagan Blood
    Tattered Banners And Bloody flags.

The Black Dahlia Murder

Funeral Thirst/Unhallowed
    Closed Casket requiem
    .... Actually, the "Unhallowed"(2004) Album is Awesome It pretty much got me into "the new Style" They call it metalcore but it would have been wicked deathmetal b4.

Kataklysm(from Montreal)
    For All Our sins
    Ambassador Of Pain
    Illuminati

That tuningwill pretty much cover those bands and more. This is by no means the fastest or most technical shit out there, but it's a lot of fun to play and comes straight from my soul!

Also, from an old group, Suicidal Tendencies, Rocky George(Black Guy), one of the awesomest most underrated, overlooked players ever. Even when they started adding speed and thrash players to the guitar mag tabs. That bands lyrcis stopped appealing to me at 14, it was pretty much the singers group, and how he was able to get that talent I have no idead. Not to diminish Suicidals staus in both metal and punk history, they did some great shit, but I really think that guy was somewhat wasted in that band. Total feel player.

That Chickenfoot tune 'all fired up' would be a dangerous tune to have on when in traffic.. try to maintain the speed limit.. lol
    (May you live in interesting times)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    That Chickenfoot tune 'all fired up' would be a dangerous tune to have on when in traffic.. try to maintain the speed limit.. lol
    I have that issue with Raining Blood (Slayer), Whiplash, and Breadfan (both Metallica

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it's White Zombie's "More Human than Human"

That's a ticket waiting to happen.

Years of Experience

This song ROCKS:

The Heavy - How You Like Me Now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; December 18th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A couple of CD's filled with The Blasters!

Give me the Golden Oldies anyday over that crap ya'll call music. Most Rock n' Roll after the 70's is just a bunch of screaming and screeching! Damn stuff hurts my ears and warps your mind!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I thought music was supposed to warp the mind?

Ok spray, two songs with an older feel to them

Noisettes- never forget you

The Avett Brothers... most of their songs have an older feel to them.

mke

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast