Thread: Credit report when applying?

Years of Experience

Default Credit report when applying?

I'm looking to start at ELM, and they sent me the pre-hire paperwork to fill out. Part of it talks about a Credit Report -

", I understand that a consumer report and/or an investigative
    consumer report will be ordered that may include information as to my character, general
    reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, work habits, performance and experience,
    along with reasons for termination of past employment."

Now, I don't have good credit, but I'm an experienced locator and not exactly sure what this has to do with it. Will they refuse to hire me for having bad credit? I'm actually kind of worried here. Anyone experience this?

Thanks.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Credit report when applying?

Hey Censored, Running credit reports are common practice. Especially for insurance companies. With that being said, they are hiring you and giving you a company car and the responsibility of protecting underground facilities... They run your credit to see how responsible you are. It may be as vague as their insurance carrier requires it.

If they don't hire you because of your credit report... you will never know. They will only give you a genaric excuse "Dear sir, Thank you for your interest in ELM. However we feel that your experience and expertise was not exactly what we were looking for....etc...etc..etc..."

No need to worry about it. It will either happen or not.... its out of your hands.

Either way, good luck

Mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    I'm looking to start at ELM, and they sent me the pre-hire paperwork to fill out. Part of it talks about a Credit Report -

", I understand that a consumer report and/or an investigative
    consumer report will be ordered that may include information as to my character, general
    reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, work habits, performance and experience,
    along with reasons for termination of past employment."

Now, I don't have good credit, but I'm an experienced locator and not exactly sure what this has to do with it. Will they refuse to hire me for having bad credit? I'm actually kind of worried here. Anyone experience this?

Thanks.
    It says a "consumer report", not specifically a credit report. Looks like autherization form for a general background check.

Someone with a series of assualt or theft convictions employers are hesitant to allow around their custormers. There is Federal regulation that does not allow and employer to consider old convictions if they do not apply to that workplace and are from long ago.

One of our clients stipulated in their contracts that we can have no convicted felons working on their contract.

Under the fair Credit reporting Act if you are denied, in this case employment,because of information on a credit report they are required by law to tell you it was because of the credit report and they have to provide you with the agency that they contracted to provide them the report.

Years of Experience

I would not worry about that thing ......get ready to go to work if you have experience .....Good Luck !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That is a curious choice of words: "Consumer Report" as opposed to a "Credit Report". I wonder what a consumer report is.

I checked Google (or, as we should start calling it, The Great Oz) and this is what I found...

Using Consumer Reports: What Employers Need to Know | BCP Business Center

Your company has job vacancies to fill. You're also thinking about promoting some employees from within the company. You've winnowed down the stack of applications and resumes and want to run background checks through a third party company who is in the business of compiling background information.

Employment background checks also are known as consumer reports. They can include information from a variety of sources, including credit reports and criminal records.

When you use consumer reports to make employment decisions, including hiring, retention, promotion or reassignment, you must comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) enforces the FCRA.
    Before you reject a job application, reassign or terminate an employee, deny a promotion, or take any other adverse employment action based on information in a consumer report, you must give the applicant or employee:

a notice that includes a copy of the consumer report you relied on to make your decision; and
    a copy of A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which the company that gave you the report should have given to you.

Giving the person the notice in advance gives the person the opportunity to review the report and tell you if it is correct.
    What Is A Consumer Report For Employment? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Mandatory Checks

Federal and state laws mandate that consumer report screenings be conducted for certain jobs. Nearly every state requires that individuals applying for positions in which they will be working with children, the elderly or the disabled submit to criminal background checks. Many state and federal government job applicants may undergo even greater scrutiny when a security clearance is required.
    Consumer Reports for Employers | Apprisen

A consumer report contains information about your personal and credit characteristics, character, general reputation, and lifestyle. To be covered by the FCRA, a report must be prepared by a consumer reporting agency (CRA) — a business that assembles such reports for other businesses.

Employers often do background checks on applicants and get consumer reports during their employment. Some employers only want an applicant's or employee's credit payment records; others want driving records and criminal histories. For sensitive positions, it's not unusual for employers to order investigative consumer reports — reports that include interviews with an applicant's or employee's friends, neighbors, and associates. All of these types of reports are consumer reports if they are obtained from a CRA.

Applicants are often asked to give references. Whether verifying such references is covered by the FCRA depends on who does the verification. A reference verified by the employer is not covered by the Act; a reference verified by an employment or reference checking agency (or other CRA) is covered. Section 603(o) provides special procedures for reference checking; otherwise, checking references may constitute an investigative consumer report subject to additional FCRA requirements.
    I just pulled some quick quotes off a few sites. Use the links to investigate further.

It looks like it is pretty common and the term "consumer reports" is an all inclusive term not limited to credit reports.

Seek and ye shall find.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

From what I understand it appears that if they don't hire you based on the findings in the report you have a right to know and a right to "review the report" and let them know if the report is correct.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Thanks, that actually makes sense. I've just never seen it worded as Consumer Report. Someone from ELM actually messaged me and mentioned that they would only pull a credit report if I were doing something like consulting or accounting, which would make sense.

Years of Experience

Also, thank you everyone who replied. Like I said, I had never seen the term Consumer Report like that before. It was always the typical Background Check and MVR.