Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From the couch of this former usic employer Goodbye

Default Re: From the couch of this former usic employer Goodbye

Sometimes you just have to pick up your nailbag and hammer, and work for a few more crumbs round the block in the real world of locating day labor .

That suckd to loose a good locator from a team you would rhink they would want to take care of the good ones rather than dealing with a bunch of noobs with no exp and highet damage ratio good locators are hard to come by good luck hp

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by Caregiver View Post
    That suckd to loose a good locator from a team you would rhink they would want to take care of the good ones rather than dealing with a bunch of noobs with no exp and highet damage ratio good locators are hard to come by good luck hp
    Unfortunately, most of the larger locating companies that work under contracts are not concerned about quality as much anymore, they are more interested in production and revenue, since they have underbid their contracts to the point where a locator has to bust his butt and take shortcuts in order to keep the bosses happy.

Go damage free for a year or two and you wont get much recognition, but let your production drop below the "goals" as set by your sup and see how quick they start harassing you and talking junk.

I operate on the following "Nobody notices what I do until I stop doing it"
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    Unfortunately, most of the larger locating companies that work under contracts are not concerned about quality as much anymore, they are more interested in production and revenue, since they have underbid their contracts to the point where a locator has to bust his butt and take shortcuts in order to keep the bosses happy.

Go damage free for a year or two and you wont get much recognition, but let your production drop below the "goals" as set by your sup and see how quick they start harassing you and talking junk.

That is absolutely 100% completely true. This is one of the most fundemental aspects of the contract utility locating world in play today. Probably the most important thing to understand about locating companies regardless if you are new to the industry or a veteran player. Very well said sir, nicely done.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

So true I was told by my sup that he couldn't use a guy who only did 25-30 tickets a day, he needed 50-60, this is after 2 weeks on my own, I told him I guess I would be seeing him alot at damage investigations then. Needless to say my name became dirt and I eventually left that company.

Quote Originally Posted by Caregiver View Post
    Thanx Care. Keep up the good work and watch your butt this summer over there in that area. Contractors will screw you around pretty bad with their so-called "great timed plan" that goes to shit quickly. Keep in touch and you'll see my name on some tickets now.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I guess I look at things from too much of a gas locator's perspective. It's what I've done the most.

Once you're slinging yellow paint, the stakes are so much higher. I'm not gonna have a family killed in a house explosion because I thought the cable drop wouldn't be that deep. I'm not gonna find myself trying to explain that I pencil whipped that intersection because I didn't take the time to talk with the project leader and understand exactly what was being done. Or that management insinuated I should ignore projects in favor of quicky jobs. They'll call me a liar anyways and I'll be left knowing it was my decision that caused a back-hoe operator to not make it home.
    I'm not really interested in recognition. I'd rather be ignored because my area has so few issues that the bosses are able to turn their attention to where it's needed. They may profit less on me but they won't be paying damage investigators and lawyers on my account either. I understand that a company has to make a profit and I will do what I can to make sure I'm a good investment for them but if they prefer shoddy work over quality then I guess I am in the wrong business.
    Last edited by daman1; March 9th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.

Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    I guess I look at things from too much of a gas locator's perspective. It's what I've done the most.

Once you're slinging yellow paint, the stakes are so much higher. I'm not gonna have a family killed in a house explosion because I thought the cable drop wouldn't be that deep. I'm not gonna find myself trying to explain that I pencil whipped that intersection because I didn't take the time to talk with the project leader and understand exactly what was being done. Or that management insinuated I should ignore projects in favor of quicky jobs. They'll call me a liar anyways and I'll be left knowing it was my decision that caused a back-hoe operator to not make it home.
    I'm not really interested in recognition. I'd rather be ignored because my area has so few issues that the bosses are able to turn their attention to where it's needed. They may profit less on me but they won't be paying damage investigators and lawyers on my account either. I understand that a company has to make a profit and I will do what I can to make sure I'm a good investment for them but if they prefer shoddy work over quality then I guess I am in the wrong business.
    I agree 100%. I have been told countless times by my "sup" that it was ok'd by management to take shortcuts and to not properly document the locates. I advised him that I would NOT take any ahortcuts or deviate from written company policy and common sense locating in any way unless I had it in writing, an dit was signed and natorized by him and his boss. Needless to say, that BS got nipped in the bud fairly quickly.

I still do everything that I am supposed to do, and do what I need to do to get all of my locates done correctly and safely. I was written up once for refusing to close a lane of a divided highway down to locate a duct run. The company did not provide any of the proper signage or devices to legally close a lane here in NC, and I flat out refused to do it. I got written up for following the state and federal highways laws...figure that one out.

I love the job that I do and msot of the homeowners and contractors that I work with. It is just the damn company I work for that I am sick and tired of. No support or back-up. They will throw you under the bus for a damage on a locate that you didn't even do. Too much cut throat mess going on, and they are only interested in making the numbers look good.

One of these days I will be able to find something else that pays a similar wage and give these losers my two weeks notice, only to get fired on the spot. That could possibly be the best day of my life.....I can dream, can't I?

- or -

Years of Experience

You have to have a dream. Especially if you are under the pressure of doing what you can to do the job right. I applaud everyone who hits it hard every day to do it right. Anyone can take it easier and play their game, but that isn't taking care of the customer, or the community.

You have to have a dream. 'Cause when your dream dies, you die.

Years of Experience

Ive been at USIC over 4 years now,and it has steadily gotten worse. Raising insurance rates,NO raises for 2 straight years,NO compensation for being on call to name a few.
    This summer we have lost 3 veteran locators from the previous year and one new hire,,,,and this has been the busiest year ever for my area. (says our sup and other senior locators)

I didnt mind locating my first couple of years,I was good at it and received a good raise. Now however I absolutely hate it.
    It is all about tickets,tickets,tickets,,,,long hours,and EVERY Saturday. You ARE NOT aloud to ever be sick and call in because you will be ridiculed by your supervisor for "letting the team down'".

I made the mistake of "being fast" when I first started,now its expected,no matter how difficult the tickets. A fellow locator on my team has an excellent damage ratio,he has since he started,but our supervisor is CONSTANTLY hounding him to do more,do more!!

Bottom line,USIC is a private company that only cares about making money,in the process they are wearing people out and have an amazingly high turnover rate. They have been taking and taking for the last couple of years that I have been here and something must give.

Its only a matter of time. USIC has it coming

Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    Its only a matter of time. USIC has it coming
    Yes they do. The karma bus is a big vehicle and takes alot of people out with it when it comes by. Unfortaunately, USIC will have forced most fo their good employees out the door and down the road long before the company gets what it deserves.

- or -

Years of Experience

My buddy works for usic and says it push push push. All they care about is cleaqring tickets and getting their money. them boys at bge and exclon are in for a shock. hope they have added some damage investigator and repair crews. they'll sell out soon enoough

Years of Experience

I feel ya. First 2 years on it was a cable tv only area in a mostly ariel city. I was pumping out 30 40 tickets a day. Then we picked up AT&T and was moved to a all underground area and started picking up a few damages and only did 20 tickets. Now after 8 years I'm doing 4 5 and sometimes 6 way. all buried. Now, im only doing 10 a day and forced to work overtime and weekends is really burning me out fast and ya can't call off cause your just going to get screwed when ya come back. I'm outside my truck for min of 40 minutes for a entire prop tick (which everyone calls in) and I can tell this will be a hot hot Summer.

Godbless

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    My buddy works for usic and says it push push push. All they care about is cleaqring tickets and getting their money. them boys at bge and exclon are in for a shock. hope they have added some damage investigator and repair crews. they'll sell out soon enoough
    BG&E spent two years hunting for a replacement for Utiliquest. Some of their damage people, at least Stevie Gibbons, are good locators who came from Utiliquest. Won't take them long to find out they hired a Utiliquest clone on steroids.

I doubt they will waste much time to find a replacement, they just went through the bidding process and they have a line-up of capable firms ready to go. I expect to see the contract get shopped out again in the Fall of 2013. Should not be a big formal bidding process, just some phone calls they make to a select few locate firms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast