Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copper Price

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Who cares about excess???

Maybe I ll keep my eyes open for gutters on old buildings and vacant houses with the fancy porch roofs...

"I saw the guy that took it...He had this paint all over his shoes...Thats all I know Mr Officer..."

Yeah he had "Yellow: boots..lol

Years of Experience
    30+

I have noticed a lot of ground wires missing too.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Anyone ever see the powerpoint of the guy who got fried stealing copper from a sub station.....like ohh my god not me not worth it
    Which proves there is a fool born every minute. A sub station...unbelievable!!

Years of Experience
    30+

That would be stupidy. Anyone who would enter a sub-station just to get the copper. I have seen it with FPL sub-stations. The wire taken off the fence and pulled out of the ground by a 4X4. The tracks were left on the ground. All i could think of if it would have pulled up a feeder.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    "I saw the guy that took it...He had this paint all over his shoes...Thats all I know Mr Officer..."

Default theft of copper from power substation!!

This happened in Edmonton, Alberta last night (May 28/08). Unbelievable!
    As reported in the Edmonton Sun newspaper

An attempt at stealing copper wire turned tragic today for a man zapped at an Epcor site.
    The 49-year-old man suffering serious burns was found by police inside a power substation compound at 97 Street and 127 Avenue shortly after 2:30 a.m. The zap sent him to the University hospital, where he remained in critical condition this afternoon.

Police say that at the time of the fire, the man had been stripping copper wire, something that’s become an increasingly common target for thefts in Edmonton.

“It’s getting worse,” said Darlene La Trace, the executive vice-president of the Edmonton Construction Association.

Rising prices for metals such as copper are fuelling the thefts, which the culprits then try to turn into a profit by selling the stolen goods to scrap-metal dealers.

La Trace, who is involved with a program designed to help builders prevent theft, said the Edmonton Construction Association itself became a victim just last week. A contractor had some copper on the site for renovation work, which thieves managed to drive away with on a flatbed truck.

“There’s nobody immune to it,” said La Trace.

Tim le Riche, a senior advisor for corporate relations at Epcor, said the problem isn’t a huge one for the city-owned utility.

“Copper theft is widespread throughout industry. Fortunately, our experience at Epcor is less than you’d find at other major utilities in North America, but it does happen,” he said.

Still, le Riche added that the company is very concerned about the safety risks people like the thief at the 97 Street substation expose themselves to.

“The money someone might get from stealing is a pittance compared to the risk of injury,” said le Riche.

“These are powerful stations, and they demand respect,” he noted.

In today’s case, the man was fortunate that police were nearby dealing with a traffic issue when they heard a loud bang from the substation. After a woman known to the burn victim ran up to them, police went inside to find him in distress. Charges against him are pending, police said today.

A similar incident in January turned deadly for a 32-year-old man who broke into a power substation in the Toronto suburb of Ajax. Emergency workers there found his lifeless body on top of a transformer after he touched a 44,000-volt conductor.

glenn.kauth@sunmedia.ca

You know, it's just amazing how evolution works - the Gene Pool is pretty good at cleansing itself sometimes
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Spray:

Yes, natural selection can be a "shocking" experience sometimes, can't it?

Like I said in a earlier thread, no accounting for stupidity!

Plus, in this case, IF he gets better, he faces theft charges. Double Whammy

Years of Experience

Default Stealing?

Technically speaking, is it stealing if a contractor leaves dozens of solid copper rods (along with some other equipment and supplies) in an open field next to a park and they get "found"?

I can see calling it stealing if people are ripping down poles, hopping substation fences, and breaking into fenced in construction sites for bits of copper, but if a hunk of copper is just laying about and I happen to claim it, that's not stealing.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Default Don't Steal Copper

This report came from the OG&E Energy Corp. of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma:

We have trouble with people stealing copper from our pole lines and Sub Stations. Our trouble shooter found the cause of a recent power shortage at the NE 50th Street electrical Sub-Station in Oklahoma City. Our lineman did not enjoy finding the smoldering remains of this copper thief.

If this GRAPHIC photo circulates for people to see how dangerous copper theft can be around high voltage equipment, maybe a death or serious injury can be prevented.

On a positive note, this guy is done giving us problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    This report came from the OG&E Energy Corp. of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma:

We have trouble with people stealing copper from our pole lines and Sub Stations. Our trouble shooter found the cause of a recent power shortage at the NE 50th Street electrical Sub-Station in Oklahoma City. Our lineman did not enjoy finding the smoldering remains of this copper thief.

If this GRAPHIC photo circulates for people to see how dangerous copper theft can be around high voltage equipment, maybe a death or serious injury can be prevented.

On a positive note, this guy is done giving us problems.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda bought the fibreglass pole from the paint store! I'll just bet he put on a pair of linesmans gloves and thought he would be okay.

The 49-year-old man suffering serious burns was found by police inside a power substation compound at 97 Street and 127 Avenue shortly after 2:30 a.m. The zap sent him to the University hospital, where he remained in critical condition this afternoon.
    Watched video testimonials by linemen who were victims of arc flashes. On the surface they seem not so serious. But the critical period after being burned is the week to 2 weeks following the incident. In the end it took over a year for both linemen to fully recover.

As everyone here should know, electricity burns the body from within and the damage is not clearly evident until days after. One lineman showed pictures of his arm over a period of a few weeks. It was not pretty. He eventually lost the arm. This idiot trying to steal copper will be damned lucky if he survives.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blunderbuss View Post
    As everyone here should know, electricity burns the body from within and the damage is not clearly evident until days after. One lineman showed pictures of his arm over a period of a few weeks. It was not pretty. He eventually lost the arm.
    Electricity flows on the outer surface of a conductive material. Electricity that flows through the human body follows the outside of the bones. The meat that attaches to the bones gets cooked. If a person survives the initial shock, the healing of the cooked meat takes time.

Years of Experience

wing wasn't there a better way to put that ...... i know there wasn't ..just joking.....it scares me to just think about it

Years of Experience

This is the whole reason I hate electricity. Whenever I arrive at an electric fault I never locate until the power is killed. You never know when it is a ground fault the travels back up a burned up tv or tel line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast