Thread: Contractors who Understand

Years of Experience

Default Contractors who Understand

Well I know for the most part it seems that noone understands what it takes to locate lines. It seems like lately I've had contractor include marking instructions that actually help us out.

For example a soil boring company that calls in hundreds of acres and you know they won't dig in the RROW. There are a few companies in my area that are actually calling in tickets that say mark going North for 2000ft, no work will take place in the road right of way.

Another is the sign companies. I have alot of sign companies that will call in a 100 ft radius of an entire intersection for installing signs. I've been noticing more and more companies using signs like these.

Some of our sin companies will just put out a stake painted with a certain color and say in marking info to mark a 50 radius of stake. Then I will take pictures of the stake with my marks so they cannot move it to another location.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

I've been noticing more and more companies using signs like these.

[/QUOTE]

I like these signs. It would be nice if everyone used these.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Many of the boring companies I work for in the rural areas were calling in 100 acre plots of land to just dig 2 or three holes 100' deep to determine sub surface soil conditions/stability.

I have many of them convinced now to jut spray the ground with an X where they would like to locate. If there are known utilities there, well, no problem we can move the dig area. But, I do not have to spend hours marking every utility.

Most of these locates I can now clear in under an hour. In some cases, immediately as they're no where near anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I've been noticing more and more companies using signs like these.

I like these signs. It would be nice if everyone used these.[/QUOTE]

I like the signs except for one thing, Do you have to mark the entire 25 yd radius? That would cause you to lacate the other side of the street in a lot of cases.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Many of the boring companies I work for in the rural areas were calling in 100 acre plots of land to just dig 2 or three holes 100' deep to determine sub surface soil conditions/stability.

I have many of them convinced now to jut spray the ground with an X where they would like to locate. If there are known utilities there, well, no problem we can move the dig area. But, I do not have to spend hours marking every utility.

Most of these locates I can now clear in under an hour. In some cases, immediately as they're no where near anything.
    I have ask contractors to do that for a while. Some will mark with an X but most say they do not have time to do it. I have said have them put the white X down when the go out and look at the site. Som will but most will not.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Contractors who Understand

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I like the signs except for one thing, Do you have to mark the entire 25 yd radius? That would cause you to lacate the other side of the street in a lot of cases.
    I do agree the 25 yd radius is going a overboard on the footage but it still beats all the other companies that call in 100 ft radius of the intersection for a sign. Normally the company using these signs is putting in signs for new subdivisions so they are pretty far off the road so I just have to mark the one side of the intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I have ask contractors to do that for a while. Some will mark with an X but most say they do not have time to do it. I have said have them put the white X down when the go out and look at the site. Som will but most will not.

Of course not, the lazy bas***ds.
    What is so wrong with helping each other out a bit. What would it take ten minutes. Come on, really, the contractor cannot spare 10 minutes. He is not even trying in my humble opinion.
    I have one contractor like that, he wants everything from me but gives little in return. One day...boom,boom, boom to the moon Alice...
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

contractor calls in a ticket for both sides of road for a 2 mile stretch, It takes me a total of 10 hours to mark. He installs 4 signs. This was after I asked that prick I would like to have the locations marked. He said, I need it all, tough. Just mark it.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience
    30+

What a sorry SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    contractor calls in a ticket for both sides of road for a 2 mile stretch, It takes me a total of 10 hours to mark. He installs 4 signs. This was after I asked that prick I would like to have the locations marked. He said, I need it all, tough. Just mark it.
    You might want to check your Dig Laws very closely - 1 of the best kept secrets in Texas was the fact that Locators could request White Lining or stakes prior to locating. This really wasn't brought to the forefront until our Railroad Commission took over responsibility for Gas locating.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    beyond.........send that contr. to me here and we he comes back to you you guys will be best friends..........we have a way here of getting the contr. to see things our way.....and being courteous at thesame time.....hahahhah bad contr. beware when you come to la.....

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    You might want to check your Dig Laws very closely - 1 of the best kept secrets in Texas was the fact that Locators could request White Lining or stakes prior to locating. This really wasn't brought to the forefront until our Railroad Commission took over responsibility for Gas locating.

Okay, so I am thinking to myself why would the Railroad Commission have anything to do with locating pipelines. I decided to google the RRC (http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/) and what do I find? They regulate or are in some way involved in everything to do with energy. I kind of chuckled when I read the following passage:

"Railroads
    Note: Effective October 1, 2005, the Railroad Commission of Texas no longer has regulatory authority over railroads. The federal government and the Texas Department of Transportation share the responsibility of oversight."

Would I be correct in thinking that a change of name might be in order something like the Energy Regulating Commission?

Here is a tidbit from the history of the RRC:

"January 10, 1901 First salt dome discovery, and first great gusher brought in at Spindletop, Jefferson County, by Capt. Anthony F. Lucas. Production from this well was so enormous that price of oil dropped to an all-time low of .34 a barrel." .34 cents a barrel!!!!!
    Whatever happened to THOSE prices?

I love google. It makes learning new stuff sooooo easy!!!

Years of Experience

My favorite is contractors that use to be locators tons of tickets for a single lot or mega tons for a project

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    My favorite is contractors that use to be locators tons of tickets for a single lot or mega tons for a project
    Well now, you are a lucky duck T-Bone.
    I could use some of that "graft" up here!